NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Adam

Default Getting back into hobby...help on 1915 CJ?

Hi,
I was an avid collector up until the early 1990s. Got out because I bought some trimmed cards and it really soured me on the hobby (bought from a guy - Fantazia - who I think was sent to jail for this). This was before the graded cards were really big.

Anyway, as the National was a few hour drive from my house, I decided to bring some cards to get graded. One was my 1915 CJ Hal Chase, which I bought in "mint" condition. It graded as a 3.5. Was disappointed, so I showed to a dealer who found a crease when looking at it with a loupe, which I can't really see. He told me I should get it regraded. I'd love some advice. FWIW, I paid $500 for it years ago. Hey...at least it wasn't trimmed. Thanks for your help. By the way, I'm not upset with the dealer...I really don't think he saw the crease either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.7 KB, 205 views)

Last edited by Jetsfan; 08-10-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Rob G.

Congrats on the nice Chase. Whether the holder says 1 or 9, its a beaut. I can't comment on regrading it other than to say I think you should save your money on buying more vintage cards, but if you are going to sell it then maybe try on regrading.

Welcome back to the hobby! BTW, the hobby is no cleaner now IMO than it was in the 90s so you still have to do your homework, but this forum is a great place to get other hobbyist opinions.
Rob
Old 08-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Don Hontz

With a crease, I would say u have the highest grade u could get. Card is a beauty though---but those small creases keep the grades down. Cracker Jacks are great looking cards--good luck
Old 08-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Adam

Thank you both. No plans on selling it at this point, so I'll hold off on regrading.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Matt

The only reason I would get that card reholdered, if it were mine, is if I was about to sell it. The fact is that it is a beautiful card, regardless of the technical assessment. I don't know many collectors who hold and admire their cards with a loupe, and that card is gorgeous from here, as I am sure it is in hand or in a wall display.

In fact from all my conversations with fellow enthusiasts, I am seeing a great amount of collectors who collect and shop for eye appeal. I personally look for cards just like yours-- those rare specimens that look as good but cost a fraction of what a higher grade example costs. Not many "3.5's" exude that kind of look. Congrats on a great card and welcome back to collecting!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
In fact from all my conversations with fellow enthusiasts, I am seeing a great amount of collectors who collect and shop for eye appeal. I personally look for cards just like yours-- those rare specimens that look as good but cost a fraction of what a higher grade example costs. Not many "3.5's" exude that kind of look. Congrats on a great card and welcome back to collecting!
I agree. I recently acquired a T206 Sherry Magee (batting) which is one of my favorite players and poses. PSA2 and dirt cheap. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why it wasn't a 4 or 5. I just turned 60 and my eyes are pathetic, but finally figured out under high magnification that in the very tip of one corner the top layer of paper was missing. About half the size of the head of a pin. I intend to bust it out and put it in my album. I'll sell my present Magee which I'm sure would grade higher technically, but is a tad off center and doesn't look as good as the 2. I'll get a card I like better and probably a few bucks in my pocket.

Last edited by deadballfreaK; 08-10-2014 at 10:01 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan View Post
One was my 1915 CJ Hal Chase, which I bought in "mint" condition. It graded as a 3.5.
I too got soured on the hobby back in the early 90s because of stuff like that. I found SGC and PSA to really help ameliorate that problem for me. Your CJ Chase is a perfect example of why Third Party Grading (TPG) is so important to our hobby, particularly in light of the internet. I would have told you there was a crease or some other hard-to-see flaw in your card, even though it presents so darn well.

People often forget that grading is designed to help see hidden flaws -- not to boil down the eye appeal of a card to a single number between 1 and 10. When you rely too heavily on the number, you lose the aesthetics of the card that probably brought you into the hobby in the first place. My one piece of advice would be to use TPG as a guide, not a crutch, towards getting the kinds of cards you want to buy without the concern that you're missing a hidden defect.

Welcome back!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The only reason I would get that card reholdered, if it were mine, is if I was about to sell it. The fact is that it is a beautiful card, regardless of the technical assessment. I don't know many collectors who hold and admire their cards with a loupe, and that card is gorgeous from here, as I am sure it is in hand or in a wall display.

I always agree with Matt when it comes to buying lower technical grades with great eye-appeal. This is very well said. That Chase looks amazing, and ultimately, that is why you bought it in the first place.