NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Default OT:A-Rod Tested Positive for two Anabolic Steroids in 2003

Posted By: Harrison

Sports illustrated reported it. We can now truly refur to him as A-Fraud. Also, I guess we can really believe everything that Cansaco says now, he was saying this months ago.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Erick Lewin

This is so ridiculous. As a Yankee fan I am truly disgusted and fed up with baseball in general. I was a huge A-Rod Supporter and am a huge Yankees fan. I am so disgusted and angered at baseball in general now. Can we hear some friggin non-Yankee names for once??!!

If they are (MLB) going to air all of their dirty laundry, can they include some laundry without pinstripes as well. I'm for knowing everyone who's guilty. But now we supposedly have another 104 player list out there and A-Rods the only name we hear? Just like that piece of **** Mitchell Report, which was so ridiculously NY biased. (But it doesn't have anything to do with Mitchell being a partial REDSOX owner right?) give me a break.

Probably half of the big name Yankees since 1996 have had their reps ruined now. As a Yankee fan this is so disheatening and I am really fed up with baseball alltogether. Like I said if they're gonna name names at least do it fairly though.

I'm sure there were just as manny friggin REDSAUX and players on other teams juicing!!! MANNY?PAPI?MOVaughn?Schilling?etc.....other teams...PUJOLS?, LUIS GONZALEZ? etc...-----Who knows, the list is huge and we will probably never even know half of all the guys who did it, and many of them will end up in the Hall of fame.

E. Lewin

Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Erick, I don't think ARod was leaked just because he is a Yankee; it's because he's the best player in the game. About 15% of all players tested positive and who knows how many others evaded detection? Bonds tested positive four times! The fact is, the past 15 years of baseball should hereafter be known as "The Steroid Era" and that's that. No one player is sacred and no player is above this. Surely ARod's responses to questions about his steroid use clinches it for me: he made no denials. Pitiful. Too bad steroids couldn't help ARod get a hit with two men on and two out in a playoff game....

Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Erick,
I agree with you 100%, thats why i think this report is false. It comes from two writers i never heard of and most of the time SI is wrong. And where is the other 103 players on the list. You know why because they made up all of the stuff, they say they confirmed it from 4 sources, so who are they.

Also a-rod's number never jumped like Bonds did. He has always been good since day 1.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Jeff,

I know. I understand that it's because he's the best player and I know that his name will be the first to leak. It's just frustrating though and they at least better name all the other players.

I wonder what the players association will do. I was under the impression this was supposed to be an anonomous list, where players were never named? Now they are 6 years after the fact?

I am just venting frustration. First there was the Mitchell report which named so many Yankees and Mets, dissproportionally.

This is truly a sad day for all of baseball.

E. Lewin

Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Sports Illustrated reported it, it must be true! what a joke..

who freaking reads SI anyway?

Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harrison

Also I bit of random information. Kirk Radomski, the guy that leaked a lot of this information is from my town, Lindenhurst, NY and is my friends uncle..

Old 02-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Brock,

I certainly hope it's false, but am not counting on it. If it is these reporters need to be outed an have their reputations ruined as well.

I agree too with his numbers. A-Rods first full season he hit .358 with 36 hrs, I think. He has always been great.

I am really sick of these reports coming out where you don't hear who the sources are. These people need to put their names behind their reports like men or just keep their mouths closed, imo.

E. Lewin

Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: macboube

Did you see that Bonds not only tested positve several times for ROIDS throughout his career, but as recently as 2005 or 2006 he tested positive for AMPHETAMINES!

forget the asterisk, how 'bout just X-OUT.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Old 02-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

"When approached by an SI reporter on Thursday at a gym in Miami, Rodriguez declined to discuss his 2003 test results. "You'll have to talk to the union," said Rodriguez, the Yankees' third baseman since his trade to New York in February 2004. When asked if there was an explanation for his positive test, he said, "I'm not saying anything.""
--
If that is not an admission of guilt, then I don't know what is.
I applaud innocent until proven guilty,, but in this case it sure seems like guilty.
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 02-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JDRUM

Does anyone really find any of this surprising anymore?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John K

Jeff, the figure is 11.5% tested positive. As a Red Sox fan, I also would like to know the other 103 who were dirty. No Hall of Fame for Alex. No records for Alex. No listing him as one of the top ten players of all time. Period! Alex could take that EASY swing, meet the ball, and still hit a (phony) homer. Unfair advantage. Unfair to Ruth, Hank, Ted, Foxx . . . etc.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

the great a-rod a cheat? say it ain,t so! for the super star ball-player in the 2000s, the top of the heap is your contract is about to end so you say you would like to resign with your home team. of course you put up (steroid aided?) big numbers and hire the greediest agent you can find to represent you. after a big offer from your team(that would assure them of not being able to field a major league level team for the next 5 years)but wait, then the yankees swope in and offer you a contract that no other team can match (see giambi,clemens,arod and the 3 new comers this year)and make the contract for 4 or 5 years. the win at all cost yankee mantra to hell with baseball fans . yet they still can't win with this cast of mercenaries!! what would surprise me is if there was a member of the yankees that didn't test positive for enhancement drugs! then write taat in sports illustrated,and put it on the cover. hey mannys still out there wouldnt he look good in the pinstripes???

Old 02-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Dennis,
His stats have been the same since day 1. They never jumped like bonds or went down like Jason's. And maybe Manny's name will be one of the 104 names on the list.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Don

The comissioner needs to make a Landis type pronouncement.

"Regardless of the outcome of the juries, no player that uses performance enhancing drugs, no player that sits in a conference with a bunch of crooked players where performance enhancing drugs are used, and does not promptly tell his club about it, will ever again play professional baseball."

They should also remove all known players from the MLB record books.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: macboube

ManRam was and will be a Dodger...............we'll take him positive or negative.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

just like the book says.....

A-Fraud

Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

A-Fraud....But he has plenty of company.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richie

Well A-fraud or A-Roid you choose. Who will be next on this so called list.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Let's face it- for a period of time taking steroids became a way of life for many major league ballplayers. There was a veil of silence among all major leaguers, even the ones that didn't inject themselves.

The best players in baseball typically hit between 40 and 50 home runs in a great season. That was the norm up until the late 90's, and it is the norm today. But for about a 5-6 year period 40-50 became 60-70 for a host of the game's sluggers. And they all became unusually large and muscular at the same time. And nobody said a word.

The records from the late 90's until the steroid fiasco was uncovered should be stricken from the books. They shouldn't count. We'll see how this all unfolds over the next couple of years.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Administrator

The records will never be stricken even though they should. Remember, baseball is a business first. How do you think Hank Aaron feels? First that cheater Bonds breaks his record and now A-Roid will break it next? Disgraceful.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cn

It can,t be true! Alex told Katie Couric on 60 Minutes that he would never use Steroids. What a loser he is. All that money and he will never be happy.CN

Old 02-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

The saddest part of the whole deal is that he was at his best as an all around player when he was a young skinny kid playing for Seattle.

As a Yankee hater all I can say is that if you play the kind of game the Yankees do you get the backlash. People go after the Yankees on stories like this because the Yankees have made themselves the headline. They have made their own bed and now they need to sleep in it. As to there being the same amount of roid users on other teams as the Yankees, I highly doubt it. They sign all the overpaid free agents after their banner years so I would bet they (and probably the Sox as well) have a very disproportionate amount of roid users on their rosters. I would bet there is a direct correlation between payroll and steroid use and if so, the Yankees would have the most roid users by far.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian T.

I couldn't help but have a selfish smirk on my face when I read this news today. The reason is that my last big A-Rod rookie card sold on eBay yesterday. I am in the process of selling off all my shiny stuff anyway as I wade into vintage, but my high end ARod RC collection was easily the cornerstone of the collection. Anyway, the timing of this report worked out extremely well for me personally. It is pretty unlikely that any personal information about pre-war guys will come out and have a detrimental effect on their card values. That pleases me.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Sad day for Baseball. I really did think he was one of the good guys. Just by his answer it says he is Guilty!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John K

I assume you refer to the Red Sox as signing overpaid free agents who are roid users. Outside of Manny, who are you talking about?

Old 02-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

Did you see Selig's salary last year? $17M, I think it was. And that money comes from the owners.

Think he's gonna ban their stars?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: D. C. Markel

Shortly after the Super Bowl post-game show ended on NBC last Sunday night, I switched over to ESPN to watch their post-game show.

One comment that jumped out at me was by Chris Berman who made the definitive statement, ".....that football is now America's Pastime".

After thinking about it a while, I had to agree; and it's nonsense like this and the awful leadership of Bud Selig that has allowed baseball to relinquish that title.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Can anyone explain to me why ARod should not be lumped in with Bonds, McGwire, Raffy and Sosa when it comes to the HOF?

I say keep them all out.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Administrator

to all positions, add Clemens to your list.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McHugh

This should come as no shock. The amount of anabolic use in all and I mean all sports is higher than you would want to know. Very few baseball players from any era have the talent to put up big numbers. The last 20 years big numbers have become the norm for far to many players. Not only in baseball but in all sports. One only needs to go back 50 years and look at world records in olympic events and than see that these times distances etc are matched or beaten by almost every competitor in todays events. The excuse always used is better scientific training, better food etc. Translation better drugs and more of them.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Don

"Shortly after the Super Bowl post-game show ended on NBC last Sunday night, I switched over to ESPN to watch their post-game show.

One comment that jumped out at me was by Chris Berman who made the definitive statement, ".....that football is now America's Pastime".

After thinking about it a while, I had to agree; and it's nonsense like this and the awful leadership of Bud Selig that has allowed baseball to relinquish that title."

Football passed baseball in the mid 70's.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Woops, Jeff, forgot him. Put him at the top of the list of steroid cheaters.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

The Yankees are not being singled out here. The Mitchell report names plenty of players who are not Yankees. I read the complete report, including all the annexes. It is fair on its face, and would be more comprehensive if players and teams actually cooperated (which they did not do). Two of the primary sources of info worked for the NY teams, so it stands to reason that the Yanks and Mets get mentioned, perhaps more than other teams, but I don't think any one team is being targeted. Some of the most interesting material in the report involves the Red Sox.

Bonds, McGwire, Palmiero, Sosa ... plenty of non-Yankees are in the spotlight. And some who were Yankees, like Clemens and Giambi, have usage tied to other teams.

I wish it was only a few players, and one or two teams, but unfortunately it's a league-wide issue.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Funnily enough, of Americas favourite sports it is probably Basketball and its ego maniacs that is least likely to be filled with steroid users.....being an endurance - stringy-muscles sport, as opposed to burst, fast-muscle-twitch high muscles mass exponents favoured in football and baseball.

Maybe an opportunity with the right commissioner in charge to remake Basketball's image as a clean all-american game???
Anyone got a 48' Mikan they want to part with?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Jeff,
You just hate A-rod period. How is he at the top, maybe next week he will come out and say that he did. Did Bonds ever do that, Bonds took steroids for most of his career while right now we only know that A-Rod MAY HAVE taken steroids for one season. So i would say A-rod would be at the bottom of that list.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

I don't particularly hate ARod. Clemens, on the other hand, I despise. I hope ARod comes clean but based on his history of immaturity, selfishness and shallowness of personality I expect him to stick his head in the sand. Or do whatever his many handlers or a focus group tells him.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

No Brock, Bonds didn't take steroids for most of his career. All the witnesses/reports have said that he started using right around 1999 or 2000 at the age of 35. Did he break McGwire's single season and Aaron's career record for homers due to steroids? Without a doubt. But he he was called up to the Majors in 1986 and was a 3 time MVP and first ballot HOFer before he ever went the 'roid route. Anyway you slice it, Bonds was and is a first class pill, he makes a great villain, but with all masking agents out there and the financial and egotistical incentives to use steroids, the notion that ARod probably just used that one year and has compiled his surreal statistics on talent alone is pretty far-fetched.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator

".......Or do whatever his many handlers or a focus group tells him."

I imagine he's on the phone right now with Warren Buffett figuring out how to handle this. When he decides, he will probably wait until the first game of the 2009 World Series to make the announcement based upon sage advice from his agent.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

I can't say this is a surprise--also undoubtedly true.

Have to agree wholeheartedly with Jeff--hope this keeps him, Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, Palmiero, Sosa etc out of Hall of Fame.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby I.

A few thoughts:

1) No surprise;

2) Who even cares anymore. Money motivates everything and the surprise should be the players NOT taking performance enhancers;

3) Anyone proven to have taken performance enhancers should have all statistics erased from record books. That's all statistics those prior to the occurrence and subsequent to it. Not fair? It doesn't have to be fair baseball is not a democracy it is run by a commissioner;

4) Elect a commissioner that has a set of balls, lay down the law and if it hurts someone's feelings too bad;

5) A-Rod is a self absorbed phony, whenever I hear people speak about his superior intellect I laugh. Ok Mr. Intellect what are you going to do now?

6) These guys need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. If possession of steroids is against the law then enforce the law. If you commit perjury in front of a congressional hearing then you go to jail period, this means Clemens or anyone else.

7) I have been a lifelong Yankee fan but to tell you the truth I have absolutely no interest any longer. I have a feeling things will change significantly in about 4-5 months when no one has any money to go to games.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

To the thread about the football tie in:

Do you actually think there is less steriods/HGH usage in the NFL than MLB?

It's really just fewer get caught and fewer are trying to catch them.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JohnnyH

Steriods has always been such a big part of the NFL no one gives it a second thought when someone tests positive, it is not a shock at all and hasn't changed the game like it has in baseball. I think the fallout from the latest news will end up falling on Selig and take the focus off the players, the initial shock is over. When Jeter, A-Rod, and Garciaparra were at the top of their game in the late nineties I had hope the game was turning around but it's been downhill ever since.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

how do you think Hank Aaron feels...?

probably vindicated. and hopefully, even more proud of his achievement.

this development doesn't surprise, except for how long it took to be leaked. that delay actually puts more doubt in the declaration that anything else.

I think it is probably safe to say that the vast majority of players were using PEDs for many years. At least, that is what you better start telling yourself if you don't want to be disappointed in any supposed heroes.

This era of PEDs should not necessarily be remembered as the Steroid Era, per se, but perhaps more appropriately as a period in which we as a society were able to clearly and objectively see the valuation of a man's integrity and the devaluation of that same man's conscience. The "Height of Irresponsibility" was not only on Wall Street, but apparently $25million per year on the baseball diamond.

edited for spelling

Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

Well Arod just admitted to Peter Gammons that he used performance enhancers in 2001, 2002 and 2003. I do blame the Union for the fact that the test results could have been destroyed after 30 days after they were taken in 2003. They were never destroyed. The union failed in this respect.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby I.

Well Roid-Rod admitted use after he consults with his "Pal" Boras. Admits it after getting caught, thinking we forgave Giambi and Pettitte we will forgive him. Wrong, with Giambi we knew what we were getting he never pretended to be a saint, Pettitte, home grown and we beleive he only used 2-3 times and he is a sincere person, no other motives. Roid-Rod is not sincere in the least, he has no excuse, he is a non sypathetic figure and not a likeable figure, by admitting it I dislike him even more, he is a pariah. Good luck buddy, you can choke on that future #800 hr ball.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richie

With all of his millions the sad part is he probaly dont care. Very sad. As the front of the NY Post reads "A-HOLE" cant say it any better then that.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

I don't like the reason he's coming forward, but I do like the fact he is admitting his use.

His 3 year use seems somewhat plausible since he averaged 50 HR's those 3 years and 40 the other 10 years.

Seems like now would be the perfect time for guys like McGwire, Palmeiro (sp?) to come forward while Arod is getting all the bad press.

edited "20 years" to "10 years".... oops

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I'd like to see just one of the remaining 103

positives step up and admit it too.

That would take guts.

Steve

edited for our lady friends.