NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Default Philadephia Caramel Project

Posted By: ErikV

Friends,

About nine months ago I posted a message on the board
soliciting information about the Philadelphia Caramel
Company. I am once again asking for your help.

I am in the process of writing a manuscript about the
Philadelphia Caramel Company and am hoping to have it
published in book form upon completion. As of now, I
would estimate my work being 70% complete.

The majority of the book will examine the company
owners, the competing candy market of the day as well
as a general overview of the company. For vintage
card collectors, the book will also examine some of
the nuances of the sport and non-sport cards the
company produced.

I am requesting input from anyone who may have any
tidbits of information about the company or is aware of
any other ephemeral items relating to this company.
You may contact me offline and credit will be given
to those who provide information.

I will be posting updates as this project gets closer
to completion. Thank you for you attention.

ErikV

Old 09-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Erik - I've been searching for quite a while for some materials from the Philadelphia Caramel Co. (specifically a package, etc). To date, this has been the only item I have ever found:

Photobucket

I do look forward to your work.

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M.

Jon,

That is one sweet postcard. I remember when it was on eBay and I'm still kicking myself for not bidding more on it than I did at the time.

Erik,

Email sent. Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of information on Philadelphia Caramel as I've been spending the majority of my "research" time looking into Croft & Allen but I'd be happy to help in whatever way that I can.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I remember when that postcard was on the bay too. It reminds me of the Collins McCarthy one I missed not too long ago. (double drats) If I remember correctly I think I also bid on that card, Jon? I felt it went for a fairly strong price but who's to say? I have a some caramel related ephemera but nothing on Phili or Standard Caramels. I have seen very few things on either of those caramels. I always like seeing that postcard..sorry I can't help otherwise. ..Thanks Jon!!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Jon, Scott and Leon,

Thanks for your posts/e-mails. I am aware of
the postcard and have contact it's owner on a
couple of occasions trying to learn more about
its origins. This has met with negative results.

As previously stated, I'll keep everyone posted
when my project nears completion.

ErikV

Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Erik,

So, the cards say "made by Phila. Caramel Co. (Camden, NJ), but I assume that postcard shows buildings in Philly. Have you found anything related to the production in Camden?

Also, will your research cover the notebook cards that feature the same players as found in e95,e96?

Good luck with this project!

Rob

Old 09-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Erik, Leon and others - yes we all bid on this postcard and if I remember correctly, went somewhere around $85.00. I think I bid $70 thinking that would surely win it but alas, came up short.

Also, for the record, the postcard pictured above is not the one from eBay. Rather, I was in email contact with the owner of a website: www.pioneerpostcards.com who provided me with a scan.

For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 09-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Robert,

So, the cards say "made by Phila. Caramel Co. (Camden, NJ), but I assume that postcard shows buildings in Philly. Have you found anything related to the production in Camden?

Yes, this will be covered in the book!

Also, will your research cover the notebook cards that feature the same players as found in e95,e96?

There is debate as to whether the
Phil. Caramel Co. produced the notebook
cover therefore I hadn't planned to include
it. However, your not the first to
ask me about it either! I just might
have to add it into the material I'm
already going to cover!

Jon,

Sounds like you had better luck contacting
the owner than I did. Did he happen to
provide you with a cancellation date?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert

Thanks Erik,

There hasn't been a lot of information shared on the Phila Caramel non-sports sets either.

Their E40 Airships set is one of my favorite sets of all time, but very tough to find unlike the baseball sets.

The backs on the E40s clearly state, "We are the largest packers of candies with picture gifts in the United States." Not sure if that was true, but they must've had success with it.

scans courtesy of Tom Boblitt's non-sports board.

Rob

Old 09-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

Other then having some Philadelphia Caramel cards, I can't add anything regarding the Philadelphia Caramel Co.

Philadelphia Caramel (E96) of Connie Mack....one of the few BB cards sets he is pictured in.

HOWEVER......that postcard of Drexel Institute dates back to the 1890's (when this University was founded).
It is obvious that the Philadelphia Caramel Company info was stamped (or printed) on this postcard at a later date.
So, a US Postal cancellation date is not really applicable to the dating of this postcard.

TED Z

Old 09-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M.

Hi Jon,

I might be wrong but I could have sworn that the postcard went over at least $100 as I thought I had bid to that level. I might be wrong but I thought it went for a bit more.

Erik,

Do you have an exact address for where the Philadelphia Caramel plant used to be? I think I've seen information that it was located near Front and Atlantic streets in Camden but if you have a more exact address then I'd be willing to risk my neck and make a trip into Camden to see if there is anything left of the building...

Old 09-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Erik - Unfortunately I didn't ask but I will contact him again and ask.

Ted - I have to disagree with you on the postcard as I believe it was specifically used as a "reminder" to customers of the Philadelphia Caramel Company and possibly other businesses. The whole bottom right of the postcard is blank giving a busines plenty of room to promote. I could agree that the Philadelphia Caramel Card might not have produced this postcard but rather purchased it from a supplier (and therefore making it logical this same postcard exists with other advertisements).

I'm unsure as to how you summize the postcard dates to the 1890s. Even if the picture of Drexel is from the 1890s, what would stop the publisher from using the picture over? For example, I grew up in Fort Plain, NY. There are postcards dating to 1900 that depict a map of the town drawn in 1740.

EDITED TO ADD: Ted, you're correct - after further research, I found out the cards were issued in 1898. I shouldn't have doubted ya!

For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com>

Old 09-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

No problem, ole buddy. We used to recruit our young EE's from Drexel; and, my wife is currently completing her Master's Degree
at Drexel. So, I'm very familiar with the history of this school.

Also, the horse-drawn carriages and the old style trolley were the tell-tale clues that this postcard was a late 19th Century litho.

Best regards,

TED Z

Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I thought I remembered it going for $100+ too.....but I am not sure...

Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan C

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/z-ns-start/all-1910.html