NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default Would you pay $100 for a PSA 3 N172, sight unseen?

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

This card, with a minimum bid of $100, drew no bids in the 19th Century Only Auction.

We have all seen others out there in similar shape. I'm not knocking Seth, 19th Century or the consigner, or even PSA. It simply seems obvious that the marketplace has determined that this card is not in vg condition.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Looks like Chamberlain was left in the icebox too long!

Frank

Old 01-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

This is no knock against Seth, but I'm glad collectors realized this was misgraded and my hope is that SGC recognizes that a card this sight unseen can not be graded a very good. It is certainly not accepted as VG in the collecting community.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Brings a whole new meaning to "ghost image".

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

This card would grade lower b/c of some glue/paper residue, mostly on back. But it was worth more than $100 to me because of the relative image contrast.

J

Edited to try to add the %$@#% image. Can't get imageshack to work, so will use the one-week-self-destruct method. Sigh. Doesn't seem like it should be hard, but I am pretty image challenged, it seems!

Old 01-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

This is a good reason why it would be foolish to buy a card "sight unseen". Grading companies (as we are all aware) are not exactly "faultless" or perfect or even consistent... let me stop before I get started.

No, I wouldn't buy a card sight unseen unless:

- I knew the person selling it
- A complete description of the card was provided
- The card could be returned if I wasn't satisfied

That is one thing I do like about Seth's auctions - you get HUGE scans to look at. It would have been interesting to see at what price this card would have sold if it had an opening bid of $10. I'd pay $10 for it... I'm not sure how much further I would have gone but a low amount could have enticed me. It could be a great filler card or trade bait for a later deal.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Grading companies are a tool - but they do have their limitations. We all realize that, I think. Overall - many have criticized all of the grading companies [not just PSA] that have technical merits of grading but do not include things like contrast and image clarity on issues such as N172.

All that said - there are definitely a number of dealers with whom I would feel absolutely comfortable buying a card sight unseen, whether raw or graded. And, on the other end of the spectrum, there are a small handful of dealers with whom I would never buy a card, graded or otherwise, without personally inspecting it or having the opportunity for a 100% refunds.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

We have talked about these "ghost" image photo type cards before. Even though it's subjective (isn't all grading?) it would be nice for one of the big 2 to take this into account..... Personally I would grade it pr-fr ....

Old 01-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

We have talked about these "ghost" image photo type cards before. Even though it's subjective (isn't all grading?) it would be nice for one of the big 2 to take this into account..... Personally I would grade it pr-fr ....

Old 01-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I've bought and sold sight unseen and, with someone you know, there's always an implicit or stated assumption on both sides that any major problems will be mentioned. Any legitimate seller would clearly note the problem with this PSA3, and the buyer would consider the seller dishonest if he didn't. So, yes I would buy a PSA3 N172 sight unseen.

It reminds me of the eBay seller who was selling the 1949 Leaf Gene Hermanski card with a PSA label that incorrectly said it was a 'Hermansk' error. Anyone looking at the card saw the card said Hermanski not Hermansk. It didn't matter what the label said, the seller has to sell it as a regular Hermanski (This seller was offering it as a Hermansk error in title and description). And, if he offers it as a Hermansk error because that's what the label sells, why would the collector beleive the descriptions for any of his author auctions. In another lot if he says he got the photo signed in person by Willie Mays, why should a collector beleive him? Even if he really did get it signed by Mays, why should a collector beleive him? The collector who saw the 'Hermansk' offering will consider the seller to either be an idiot or a liar, and most collectors wish to avoid purchasing from dealers who are idiots and/or liars. So trying this type of stunt can hurt the seller more than anyone else.