NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default Slightly OT-Mayo Boxing Ed Smith

Posted By: David Smith

Hello all,

Sorry, Leon you can move this to the BST area if you think this is too off topic.

I am going to list an Ed Smith Mayo Cut Plug boxing card on eBay and need some help. The card is 2 7/8 inches tall by 1 5/8 inches wide. The front shows Ed in a boxing stance. The back is blank and looks like it has been removed from a scrapbook.

My question is, other than buying Adam's book, how can I tell it is real?? I bought the card from Slater's Americana Auctions about 10 years ago and was going to trade it to a boxing card collector but the deal never materialized. Now I want to make sure it is authentic before I list it.

Under a small power magnifying glass, I see dots on the front but can not make out if they are colored or black and white or sepia. The dots seem to be random, not in rows.

Thanks for the help,

David

Old 08-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I really take these on a case by case basis keeping in mind the forum rules. Your post seems more about what to do than about wanting to sell. It stays. There was another one earlier today, in a different thread, that was also on the line and I let it stay too. Almost all of the time they do need to be in the B/S/T thread though....The rules are the same for everyone.....thanks for understanding....

Old 08-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC McKenzie

David,

The card looks ok to me. The boxing backs are all blank sepia/white.
I think you might be disappointed if you listed it on ebay because unless these boxing Mayos are in high grade, they don't seem to fetch alot at auction from what I've seen. They are severely undervalued compared to the baseball series. I vote you hang on to it. I'd make an offer , but I already have the Smith.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

yep, its a good one. i'd be interested.

Keith