NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default Heritage's Web of Lies....

Posted By: Aaron

Well, if any of you remember last month after much finagling, I received my winning lots from May's Heritage auction absent the LOA's listed in the item description for a 1960's New York Knicks uniform.

After contacting Heritage, I was told that they would look into the matter. Later, I was contacted by Chris Ivy (though we never spoke) and told by Troy Kinnunen that the problem was that the item had never been authenticated by Dave Bushing and Dan Knoll as the item description had mentioned. The item description had also mentioned Lou Lampson having authenticated the items, but his LOA was absent as well. (In fact Troy revealed that Heritage had listed many items in its auction as having been authenticated by SCDA which were not even looked at by them.)

At this point I posted my displeasure over the fact that this kind of deception had occurred. Apparently this was a big mistake.

Subsequently, Troy offered to have the items authenticated by those listed in the item description and to reimburse me for my shipping costs to have the items sent to Troy. He also said that Chris Ivy had said that Heritage would offer me a credit for my inconvenience.

Well, after nearly a month of waiting, today I finally received my LOA's from Troy, as well as the uniform (which I received on Monday). I asked Troy about my shipping refund and the credit and he sayid the matter is now out of his hands and I need to contact Chris at Heritage.

At this point I should mention that the LOA's reveal that the dates of the item listed in the auction were wrong. The dates in the item description were 1962-1964. In Troy's finding and on my LOA, the dates of the jersey and shorts now trace back to 1953-1957, while the warm-up jacket dates to 1965. (Just another authenticator mistake, I know.)

I will also say that Troy actually did handle the matter in an exemplary way up to this point. Especially considering the acrimony of our clashes over the last few months. I was actually quite happy at this point.

Then this morning I received an e-mail from Heritage stating that I OWED THEM an extra $17 for shipping charges. I immediately contacted Chris Ivy per Troy's instructions (surely this was a mistake).

Would I get an apology for the ordeal I'd been put through? An accounting from Heritage on the fact that their item description was deceptive? Another apology for the outrageous late shipping charge? My promised credit?

None of the above.

Chris would not address any of the deceptive practices Heritage had used in its auction, and I was informed, due to my posting here on this forum and the gameused forum, that my account had been canceled and I would not be allowed to bid on their auctions in the future. No credit (I was told since Troy is not an employee of Heritage, his offer was no good), no restitution, and finally no refund for my shipping charges (I was told I would have to produce a receipt).

Oh, and I should mention they still haven't produced a Lou Lampson LOA, so their item description is still deceptive.

So, a month later what have I learned?

Not only do auction houses not like being called out for their deceptive practices, rather than try to remedy the situation, they will try to punish you for speaking about it publicly. And they will take your money, promises be damned.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I would think they could ill afford to lose you...

Old 06-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Bad press, Julie? Most of what I have read on the 54 Forum about Heritage have been very positive. I have not dealt with Heritage's memorabilia department, and Aaron's criticism about the memorabilia department sound legitimate. However, I think Heritage's sportscards department is fantastic. (friendly on the phones, nicely run floor bidding, convenience of credit card payments, secure packaging) I wish all the auction houses were run as smoothly.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Uh, actually Chris Ivy runs the whole sports department (cards and memorabilia). Although I can understand any reluctance to criticize them, since they do cancel accounts in response.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I'm not quite sure what is your complaint. About two months ago you were posting on this board about how horrible and unreliable Bushing is as an authenticator. And your current complaint is that you didn't receive a Bushing LOA?

Old 06-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Resale value. Even if I don't agree with Bushing's (and others) undisclosed conflict of interest (which hopefully will no longer happen after the launching of the MEARS website), I still acknowledge that his (and SCDA's) LOA's have an effect on an item's resale value. (And in this case, I had immediately planned on re-selling one of the items in the lot that I wasn't interested in.)

Some of you complain about PSA, but if you buy a card that's described as having been encapsulated by PSA (and pay what would generally be accepted as a higher price based on that description) and then receive a raw card, you would probably go through the same steps.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Aaron, I understand your point of view. The LOAs no doubt effect resale value.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Dealing with autographs or memorabilia, you are asking for trouble.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I was thinking of "AmericanMemorabilia.com" My May, 2004, Heritage catalogue is almost unlooked at--somerone else was using my signin, and ran into some peculiar time trouble, but no other (personal) comnplaints.
The guy got a non-existant LOA; I think that's something to complain about; you guys sound like it was completely unimportant.

I've never asked for an LOA--I got s xeroxed one from a Lipset auction for the signasture on the great Satchell Pasige photo --the one they are aslways colorizing from ther Monmarchs, but this one's in black and white)--from keating to Lew. Sincer I didn't ask for it, I didn't complain that it was xeroxed.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I agree with Wes on this one - I won several cards in their last auction. Rec'd the cards w/in a week of paying and had no problems whatsoever. I say this not because I am concerned with my account status but b/c that is what occured. If I ever experience s/t to the contrary, I will not hesitate to post that as well.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I also purchased cards... was able to pay using PayPal (very easy)... and got the cards in a very short time.

Once again...

this shows why I stay AWAY from anything OTHER than cards.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

no problems on the cards and card-related stuff I bought. I am so glad I never caught the memorabilia bug.