NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default Clarification of Ty Cobb Decal bat

Posted By: Troy R. Kinunen

This is the image SCDA and Dave Bushing based his opinion letter on regarding the Ty Cobb decal bat which is the subject of this post. The bat was also compared to dealer store model catalogs which Dave Bushing has on file. This bat is not listed as a store model bat. Copies from these are availabe upon request. Store model decal bats started with a number 40, i.e. 40TC for Ty Cobb. This bat was a pre model number and no catalog version from this labeling period (1911-16)has ever been recorded. Also, decal bats or store model bats made available to the general public were issued in even lengths, i.e. 33", 34", 35. This bat was issued as a half inch 33 1/2". Finally, the bat was made out of a high quality professional grade ash. The type of wood made available to professional players. An independent lab was not brought into examine the quality of the wood, but Mr. Bushing has personally inspected thousands of bats, both game used and store model. Professional grade wood has a look and feel to it that experience can definetely distinguish. Store model bats were made of lower quality wood, which sold for less money in order to attract customers. Dave Bushing has spent 10 years in the study of decal bats and after studying all of the facts available to him, he is confident that when a bat bearing a decal matches the above criteria, it can in fact be deemed a game used bat. SCDA looks forward to educating the collecting community about game used bats and all documentation and methods are made available to all interested parties that are truly interested in learning more about collecting game used equipment.

Troy R. Kinunen
SCD Authentic, Director of Authentication

Old 12-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick Martinez

Troy,
This is one of many pictures of Cobb using a Decal bat, He liked them.

I hope those who boldly stated how wrong we were can now admit they
may have been misinformed on the subject. I have no problem admiting when
I am wrong. In fact I enjoy learning something new that I thought was
"Common Sense".

Regards,
Nick Martinez
American Memorabilia

Old 12-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

that the discoloration on the photo bat looks vaguely like the same decal on the decal bat, I'd still like to see more proof--clearer photos that support the thesis that players used the decals. I've had 15-20 decals in varying sizes and still have about a half dozen of them. Have seen a lot of them and seen the ones at both the Louisville Slugger Museum and the Louisville Slugger auction in person but I'm still skeptical.

This picture is, however, what I'd call an interim step to believing that players may have used them. JMO...........

Old 12-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I'd say the picture is inconclusive at best. The end of the barrel appears to be shaped differently and the taper of the bat also appears to be different. I'm also seeing a very different wood grain pattern although perhaps there is some variation from one Ty Cobb decal bat to the next.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Rios

If I were to spend 37K or 125K I would need more proof than this grainy image.

But that's just me.

Mark

Old 12-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

Nick, since photos of Cobb using a decal bat are common, can you find one that clearly shows a decal, or is the image above your proof?

As others here have noted, the image posted above shows Cobb holding a bat that appears to be very different than the one that you are offering and there is little to no evidence of a decal on the bat pictured.

I will however take back the "common sense" comment that I made earlier. I did some checking around today as well as did get one person to comment that it "Is possible" that Cobb used a Decal bat. As Troy noted above, it is true that the 1/2'' bats would not have been made for the retail markets.

However, let me clarify the agrument that I have been making. I don't believe that Bushing or Troy truely believes that what you are selling was used by Cobb, the LOA seems to indicate as much. My concern is that you are using the information in the LOA to say that this is a bat used by Ty Cobb, instead of a Ty Cobb model bat that could have been used by anybody.
So are you saying that Ty Cobb definitly used this bat as your item description implies, or are you saying that whoever buys this bat is taking a "leap of faith" as your e-mail to Paulpaulpaul states?

Scott

Old 12-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

Nick, you don't have to look for more photos, I know that you are busy and obviously I (and probably everybody else on this board) am not going to be bidding on the bat anyway.

I don't have any problems with you personally and believe that you are trying to do a good job for your employer.

However, I am obviously not the only one who raised an eyebrow at the description of this lot and after the Old Judge Proof debacle, and the issues raised by a very vocal Richard Simon after his time with your company, your hobby reputation is taking a pounding. I just hope that you are going to take make every effort to fix it.

Scott

Old 12-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

If that is a decal bat Cobb is using, why is world is the label facing pitcher? Should label be on "top" or some other position?

Nick, I have to agree, your reputation is taking a beating, whether you want to believe it or not.

Jay

The difference between genius and insanity is acceptance.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PASJD

I see very little in the grainy photograph of the bat in Cobb's hands, even as enlarged by MW, that would convince me it is a decal bat (assuming the bat in red is what the real McCoy is supposed to look like). No way of knowing whether it is or isn't, just saying from the perspective of an ordinary citizen, I would hardly call that conclusive proof of anything except that Cobb went to the plate with a bat in his hands.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

The guy in the lower left of the picture, is using a Tom Seaver's mitt.