NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-05-2015, 04:48 AM
Mike

Default Card exposure to light - effects

Hi there - I display my collection in my home office, with many arrayed on desk space and in a case mounted on a wall. What is your take on risks from light exposure (sun, lamp), e.g., fading, color bleaching?

All cards are in PSA cases, and the wall mount may have some sort of tint protection (bought on ebay). No direct sunlight falls on the cards, but there are torch lamps in the room and lamps are used maybe 2-3 days per week.

I love the look of cards on the wall as more or less wall art, and this helps justify the expense to my wife - at least a little.

So, I would hate to move the cards to storage in a dark / cool / dry space and miss out on seeing the cards every day - but I also want to protect them.

Thoughts on risks/rewards of displaying?

Last edited by MCoxon; 09-05-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Al Richter

Default Lights

I worry about it some. All my sets are in sheets in binders. Very few are out in holders exposed to a daily light source. There are a couple of good threads here where Ben has posted examples of cards he has exposed to ongoing light sources to show effects over time. There are also some related discussions in the various 58 Blue Aaron threads.

The Blue Aarons were initially selling for a big premium but so many showed up eventually that it may be someone was creating some or all of them with light. If a sheet defect you would expect more examples of other cards from the sheets.

I picked up the Mays below because I thought it might be a print defect given both the front and back differences, but it is likely also due to light exposure. Maybe Ben can re post some of his light exposure examples. In one thread someone posted a card that was faded from the light except for one large round area where there was probably a sticker with a price on the holder blocking the light source.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-05-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:41 AM

They will fade, especially under sun light or fluorescent.

I've got a 1984 Topps uncut sheet behind plexiglass on my office wall, and it
has faded quite a bit.

I've also got other cards displayed on shelves, and some have faded. None are particularly valuable - they are 1964 Topps Giants.

What I did for my more valuable cards I wanted to display was make a photocopy of them and put them in a holder or a frame.

You cannot really tell they are photocopies at first glance.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Ben North

I don't know much about sun faded cards because that is not how I do it. Once you see a card faded in the sun though you will be able to easily spot them in the future. All cards exposed to daily light will fade.

No matter how you "fade" the cards the colors that are removed or lightened vary greatly from year to year and brand. Some lose the yellow first, some lose the red first and some it is easiest to see in the black. The amount of color and how fast they are removed also varies greatly by year/brand.

Here is a pic of a "faded" 58 Hank Aaron I done and then got graded by SGC. I removed all the yellow except in the logo. Sorry for the bad cell phone picture. I hoped after I done this and posted about it before was that it would save people from paying a premium for an altered card. Unless you are looking for the only known blue front 58 Aaron with a nice yellow logo because it will command a huge premium. If you search this site for Blue 1958 Aaron you should find some good info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blueaaron.jpg (76.3 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 09-05-2015 at 05:34 PM.