NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2021, 02:19 PM

Default New 1890 Pittsburgh Alleghenys Book

I talked to Leon before posting this here and he gave me two spots where I could post this link. I just got done editing my book on the 1890 Pittsburgh Alleghenys, which I started back in 2019. It covers the team day-by-day, starting from the first day of Spring Training all the way through to the short barnstorming series they did after the season. I went through every Pittsburgh newspaper from that season that is available, checking day-by-day, as well as looking through at least one opposing newspaper for each game. When there were players who joined the team for 1-2 games, or stats that didn't line up with what is known now, I put in extra searching to find out more on the players/game. I was basically writing 1-2 days per day. The book is at the printer now and we should get a copy soon for final approval. If all goes well with that, the printing will start right afterwards.

Here's a link to the presale, as well as a Q&A so you can read a little more on the book if you're on the fence. Even if the worst team in Pittsburgh Pirates history doesn't fit your interests, you'll get a kick out of some of the old stories about controversial plays, players being signed/released, how the papers referred to the team, etc etc

https://pittsburghbaseball.com/produ...rates-history/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John-Book-Cover-PBN2.jpg (80.6 KB, 1030 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-24-2021, 02:36 PM
Dave Wilson

Sounds great. I'll be on the lookout. Congrats.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:25 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Hi John,

This sounds awesome!! I love books about the early days of baseball, I've sent the link to my wife as an idea for a Christmas gift. Best of luck, I am sure that it will sell amazingly well.

Best,

Steve
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:36 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Looking forward to it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-24-2021, 07:36 PM
octavio ranzola

Omg
Old 11-24-2021, 08:14 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Ordered . . . Thank you for the effort to write about an obscure and interesting team, looking forward !
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 11-24-2021, 11:23 PM

Thank you all. I'm hoping that we can get these in the hands of people by Christmas, but we will see. I've been hearing a lot about slow shipping expectations, so it could be close.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-24-2021, 11:40 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I’ve ordered too. I know this book will be an excellent read that is historically accurate.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:25 PM
David Kathman

Ordered as well.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This was moved to get more eyes on it. These kinds of projects are a labor of love. Good luck, John.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:19 PM

Thank you, Leon and to all who have ordered or just shown support.

I've had a few people ask, so I'll explain the cover a little. The game action and photo of Paul Hines on a Washington uniform were intentionally not showing Pittsburgh action/uniforms, because they were a team thrown together, mostly playing on the road that season. It went with the pieced together background look, basically trying to mimic disarray using period pieces. Hines played for the team and his time with the club was not one of the highlights of his outstanding career. There's also a great little story for one of the one-game players about his uniform for the game, which gave me the idea to use that particular image. The field image was just me telling the person who did the cover photoshop to use any park from that era except Pittsburgh because the team barely played in Pittsburgh that season (technically they played in Allegheny City, which is Pittsburgh now)
Old 11-25-2021, 10:18 PM
Paul Lehr

Yeah…I’ll be buying that!

Good luck with the book, John.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:07 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

My order's been in for a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to it.

I don't say this just because John is my friend, but rather because John has honed his craft as a writer with, among other things, his biographic efforts in the book The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin and Company (otherwise known as the Old Judge Bible) and his work on the website Pittsburgh Baseball Network.

John does scrupulous research and the read will be worth it.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:17 PM
Fred

John - I'm sure this is going to be a good read. If you're shipping them, then please sign the inside cover of the book I ordered. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
John - I'm sure this is going to be a good read. If you're shipping them, then please sign the inside cover of the book I ordered. Thanks!
I should have updates on the printing very soon. Thank you to all who have ordered already and those who plan to once it's ready to ship. I won't be the one shipping them out, but I have had three other requests to sign copies, so I might just meet up with the person (my boss) shipping them and sign some for those who don't mind me lowering the resale value of the book. He's about three hours away, so I'm sure we can meet somewhere in the middle.

I'll post updates here when I have them
Old 12-13-2021, 08:12 PM
D0NN1E B

Ordered.... looking forward to the read.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I should have updates on the printing very soon. Thank you to all who have ordered already and those who plan to once it's ready to ship. I won't be the one shipping them out, but I have had three other requests to sign copies, so I might just meet up with the person (my boss) shipping them and sign some for those who don't mind me lowering the resale value of the book. He's about three hours away, so I'm sure we can meet somewhere in the middle.

I'll post updates here when I have them
To the contrary, I have several signed books and my opinion is the autograph from the author adds value. Good luck, John!

Last edited by Leon; 12-14-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:35 AM
Doug

Just ordered. Can't wait to read it!!
Old 12-14-2021, 08:46 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
To the contrary, I have several signed books and my opinion is the autograph from the author adds value. Good luck, John!
No, John has it write this time -
Old 12-14-2021, 08:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
No, John has it write this time -
I see what you did
I don't collect autographs or books. And not to get too far off subject but does an author's autograph on it detract from the value? (given it's on one of the inside front pages)
Old 12-14-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I see what you did
I don't collect autographs or books. And not to get too far off subject but does an author's autograph on it detract from the value? (given it's on one of the inside front pages)
I figured with Fred there would at least be a threat in there to not buy any more Larry Corcoran cards, so that would detract from the value.

To be serious though, I always figured a personalized autograph takes away value UNLESS you can find someone with the same name, then you might be able to get a little more. The problem is how small of an audience that appeals to, plus them or someone they know actually finding it.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:16 PM

I wanted to update on this because it's taking much longer than I thought. I even waited to post it here the first time because I didn't want to announce it too far ahead of time. The printer we use was both backed up at Christmas time and short-handed. My initial estimate was based on previous experiences with the place. Our site puts out a yearly Prospect Guide and they have done the printing for about the last 7-8 years. I now expect this to be ready to ship within the next 20-30 days, closer to the latter number more likely. Thanks to all who ordered ahead of time and have patiently waited.

Last edited by z28jd; 03-16-2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:34 PM
D0NN1E B

Thanks for the update.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:05 PM
D0NN1E B

Any updates on the book?
Old 06-21-2022, 08:11 PM

Please complete this "ultimate mission".

I am of fan of this whole wild idea.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:58 PM
Fred

Hey John, no worries. I bet the printers are either:

A) Out of ink because of the supply chain shortage

B) Cannot hire enough people to cover the shifts to keep the presses running

C) Too busy printing auction catalogs

D) Messing with you - because they can

Dang dude, the book better be good!

Remember, some of us requested signed copies. Can you do us a favor and just have PSA, Spence or some other "reputable" authenticator provide an LOA and grade for the signature.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:44 AM

It's a printer who we have used almost every year for our prospect guide, so they are a trusted source. I should have given an updated a few weeks ago. My boss decided that the prospect guide would be too outdated, so now he's updating it for a midseason release and then it's going back to the printer. We didn't "lose our place in line" but the two books will still be printed at the same time as soon as the prospect guide is done
Old 06-27-2022, 03:27 PM
Fred

I forgot. What was the title of the book? Chinese Democracy?

John - Saul Goodman. When it's ready, it's ready!
Old 06-27-2022, 07:35 PM

It's all written and proofread. In fact, I checked it out today because I was updating and adding to a bio of one of the 1890 players for my daily history article. I can't wait until the book is out. I started a second book on another subject, but had to put it off until the baseball season ends (at least the minor league side)
Old 04-02-2023, 09:15 PM
D0NN1E B

Hello. Any updates in the book , I may have missed it on anothers thread ?

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:23 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Hello. Any updates in the book , I may have missed it on anothers thread ?

Thanks.
+1

I received confirmation of my prepaid order last August, and have neither received the book nor received any update as to when it will be shipped. An update would be much appreciated.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:05 PM
D0NN1E B

I prepaid late 2021.
Maybe there is no book. ��
Old 04-04-2023, 02:13 PM
Jay Cee

I just ordered the book thinking it was ready to ship. Am I wrong for thinking this?
Old 04-04-2023, 03:16 PM

Sorry, didn't see this yesterday. The writing part of the book has been completed since June, even with the update I added months later while we were waiting (it was a story I found and added in the middle). I don't have anything to do with the printing, but I can email the finished product in email form to anyone who wants it now. All you will be missing is the team stats and the index.

If you want a refund, you'll have to go through the site because I don't have control of that. All early money collected is in a fund for the printing cost.

The latest plan I heard was that it's getting printed with a prospect guide from the site that is being worked on now.

I'm never going to do a presale again because the delays at first were out of our control, which in turn made the second book outdated, and that one needed to be rewritten from scratch. The books are/were being printed together due to cost per book.

So if you want the email form of the book, just let me know through direct message here if you ordered it. If you want a refund, it's available through the original link, just email the site. I'll still be pushing the books once it is in hand, but not before, so you can just reorder once it is done.

Last edited by z28jd; 04-04-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:44 PM

Just an update here. Refunds are going to be issued to anyone who bought the book. You don't have to do anything except wait. If you ordered and you didn't get a refund by June 1st, you can contact the site for an update. I'm not in charge of that otherwise you would have it already.

The book is now being published separate from the site. It's going to be for sale on Amazon. There are no printing costs because they are printed to order, so no need for presales. I'll share the link here once it is live. Please do not order it before you get your refund.

The person helping me now is David Finoli, who has gone through this process with his own Pirates history books. He's already working on it.

Thank you to everyone for their patience
Old 06-08-2023, 01:59 PM

My book is now available for order through Amazon. Orders placed on Monday have already arrived. If you previously ordered through Pirates Prospects, you should have received a refund by now on your original order. The book is cheaper now through Amazon as part of the thanks for waiting patiently.

Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/1890-Pittsbur...dp/B0C6W3HKL8/
Old 06-08-2023, 03:14 PM
Fred

How am I supposed to get a signed copy from Amazon?

Saul Goodman! I'm guessing it's going to be a good read.

I'll try to remember to post a review in this thread.

Hail, hail - "John the Historian"

Last edited by Fred; 06-08-2023 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Edited to add - "John the Historian"
Old 06-08-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
How am I supposed to get a signed copy from Amazon?

Saul Goodman! I'm guessing it's going to be a good read.

I'll try to remember to post a review in this thread.

Hail, hail - "John the Historian"
You can mail it to me with one Old Judge card. I will then sign it (the book) and cover the shipping back.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:02 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
My book is now available for order through Amazon.
Excellent news, congrats John!
Placed my order and am really looking forward to reading this.

Good luck with the sales,

Richard.