NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2021, 01:29 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Default Regarding Grant Zahajko Auctions

Hi Everyone

I see Grant Zahajko Acutions LLC at the top of the Net54Baseball Header section from time to time.

Does anyone have experience with them.

How are they

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-26-2021, 01:59 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

25% vig plus shipping and handling, if they charge sales tax that would be a total of 35% cost to win an item in my State. Ouch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-26-2021, 02:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
25% vig plus shipping and handling, if they charge sales tax that would be a total of 35% cost to win an item in my State. Ouch.
Not good for the consignor.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:45 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Strange Auction

The good news is that, thanks to a tip from a Net54 friend about an hour before the live auction was to start, I registered successfully (that was a surprise!) and got in a bunch of bids on some great things, including a "Holy Grail," the Walter Johnson L1 leather, for anywhere between 30% to 50% of what I expected them to go for. Strictly a bottom-feeding exercise, I figured, but was thrilled to find out I had actually won five of the six items I bid on, and I immediately wished I had bid on a bunch more. The 25% vig and payment rules (wire transfer from my bank!) are ridiculous, and I'm bracing for the shipping costs (no clue, but wouldn't be surprised if they soak me for a few hundred more for that.) But even with all those, I'll end up overall paying about half of what I could take these things to the National and sell them to dealers for, and probably do even better in auctions. Especially coming right out of the blue, it was a thrilling experience. But man, I'd hate to be a consignor, at least to this particular auction, and it seems that that they do just about everything to say to intelligent collectors, "we don't give a shit if you bid in our auction or not." How they get consignments, I can't imagine.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 07-26-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:21 PM

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I went to their website and tried to check out past auctions - but there are no final prices available. Is there a secret handshake to get this information?>
Old 07-26-2021, 04:36 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I went to their website and tried to check out past auctions - but there are no final prices available. Is there a secret handshake to get this information?>
Oh, great, I didn't even know about Session 1, who knows what great stuff that went cheap I'll see there! Like everything else about this apparently very legitimate and successful AH, trying to navigate their site is a bit hinky. I finally did get to this link for Session 1, but it wasn't easy.

https://bid.gzauctions.com/auctions/...ilia-session-1

Last edited by Hankphenom; 07-26-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:09 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I bid on their most recent auction and won a couple of lots.

During the process I messaged them a couple of times and they were super responsive and helpful. I also asked them about shipping costs and the quote I got for one of the lots was super reasonable.

Will reserve judgment until the items arrive, but I've been happy with their approach to this point.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:58 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
I bid on their most recent auction and won a couple of lots. During the process I messaged them a couple of times and they were super responsive and helpful. I also asked them about shipping costs and the quote I got for one of the lots was super reasonable. Will reserve judgment until the items arrive, but I've been happy with their approach to this point.
I have no complaints with them, in fact can't wait for the next one! One of the best auction experience I've ever had. Wait until I actually GET this stuff!
Old 07-26-2021, 11:54 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Well, they had a bunch of "Holy Grail" type items for me, with all the SD Padres stuff from a former team executive, that I would kill to have; but their buyer's premium and payment stipulations (they accept only wire transfer or venmo/whatever that even is) killed it for me.

It was just about the biggest array of Padres items I've ever seen, and that's my primary focus; but their rules, along with them being an unknown entity, just killed any chance of me bidding.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 07-27-2021, 05:43 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Thanks everyone for the feedback and experience. Outside of the high Buyers Premium as I buyer I have only heard good stuff.

Always want to see what other AH's are doing and what they offer

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-27-2021, 07:52 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Well, they had a bunch of "Holy Grail" type items for me, with all the SD Padres stuff from a former team executive, that I would kill to have; but their buyer's premium and payment stipulations (they accept only wire transfer or venmo/whatever that even is) killed it for me. It was just about the biggest array of Padres items I've ever seen, and that's my primary focus; but their rules, along with them being an unknown entity, just killed any chance of me bidding.
Steve
They can conduct their business anyway they want, of course, I just don't understand a model where their buyer's premium is higher than everybody else's and they make you go to your bank and fill out a wire transfer form requiring more information than my application for social security, both guaranteed to make a lot of sports collectors say "f**k it." And in this age of free shipping (not that I would be expecting anything like that, but we're getting pretty spoiled in that regard by eBay sellers, Amazon, etc.), their requirement of third-party S&H charges seems a bit unfriendly. (I would expect a big, active AH to be doing it in-house as a service to their bidders and charging accordingly.) They are clearly a very active, professional outfit, but I don't care how little they charge consignors, getting near-catastrophic results for their items doesn't seem sustainable in this era of intense AH competition. If they know anything about the market, consignors to this auction must have been sick to their stomachs, I certainly would have been.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 07-27-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 AM

I participate in European record auctions and you know what 25% BP on that continent is….well it’s cheap!
Old 07-27-2021, 08:50 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I participate in European record auctions and you know what 25% BP on that continent is….well it’s cheap!
But if you're the only AH here charging 25% in a super competitive market, it's not going to seem terribly friendly.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:20 PM
Gary

I've participated in a couple of their auctions including this recent one. I've had nothing but positive experiences.

I use them on the LiveAuctioneers platform. Even though it says "wire transfer only" on many of the listings, I was able to pay the invoice using a credit card through LiveAuctioneers.

25% BP isn't great but I've had a number of AH charge 20% For me, accurate descriptions, good photos and good service are worth a few extra percent. That said, I still managed to get a few bargains (even accounting for the BP).,

My previous wins were well packed and shipped quickly. They responded quickly to my email after the auction about shipping options too.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
The good news is that, thanks to a tip from a Net54 friend about an hour before the live auction was to start, I registered successfully (that was a surprise!) and got in a bunch of bids on some great things, including a "Holy Grail," the Walter Johnson L1 leather, for anywhere between 30% to 50% of what I expected them to go for. Strictly a bottom-feeding exercise, I figured, but was thrilled to find out I had actually won five of the six items I bid on, and I immediately wished I had bid on a bunch more. The 25% vig and payment rules (wire transfer from my bank!) are ridiculous, and I'm bracing for the shipping costs (no clue, but wouldn't be surprised if they soak me for a few hundred more for that.) But even with all those, I'll end up overall paying about half of what I could take these things to the National and sell them to dealers for, and probably do even better in auctions. Especially coming right out of the blue, it was a thrilling experience. But man, I'd hate to be a consignor, at least to this particular auction, and it seems that that they do just about everything to say to intelligent collectors, "we don't give a shit if you bid in our auction or not." How they get consignments, I can't imagine.
Color me super jealous!!!
Old 07-27-2021, 01:55 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
I've participated in a couple of their auctions including this recent one. I've had nothing but positive experiences. I use them on the LiveAuctioneers platform. Even though it says "wire transfer only" on many of the listings, I was able to pay the invoice using a credit card through LiveAuctioneers. 25% BP isn't great but I've had a number of AH charge 20% For me, accurate descriptions, good photos and good service are worth a few extra percent. That said, I still managed to get a few bargains (even accounting for the BP)., My previous wins were well packed and shipped quickly. They responded quickly to my email after the auction about shipping options too.
As I said, this was one of the best auction experiences I've ever had in terms of snagging bargains, and they are clearly a big-time professional AH. As long as I end up with great stuff at half or less of the current market value, they can charge me a 50% BP and I'll still be bidding like crazy in their auctions. I would never consider consigning with them, however, and although they got my money yesterday about this time, I haven't heard a word about shipping, so I'm calling it a mixed bag with these guys. As I titled my first response: "Strange Auction."
Old 07-27-2021, 02:01 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
Color me super jealous!!!
I sold a WaJo L1 to Terry Knouse at the 1998 SportsFest and have regretted it ever since. I must have really needed the money then, and I didn't have a fix at the time on its extreme rarity. I'd long since given up on ever being able to afford to put one back in my collection, but this stroke of incredible luck did it for me. I hope the same happens to you some day.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I sold a WaJo L1 to Terry Knouse at the 1998 SportsFest and have regretted it ever since. I must have really needed the money then, and I didn't have a fix at the time on its extreme rarity. I'd long since given up on ever being able to afford to put one back in my collection, but this stroke of incredible luck did it for me. I hope the same happens to you some day.
Thank you Hank! I do have a T3 Wajo incoming which I'm pumped about - but I would LOVE an L1 Wajo, Matty, Cobb, etc.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:04 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
Thank you Hank! I do have a T3 Wajo incoming which I'm pumped about - but I would LOVE an L1 Wajo, Matty, Cobb, etc.
And I need to pick up the gorgeous WaJo T3 to complete the trifecta with my S81 and L1!