NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2021, 09:27 AM

I used to feel this way, and I wrote bout it after Kobe died using almost the exact same wording as you about autographs: https://bigleaguebreaks.com/inside-t...-sports-cards/

After Aaron died, I got it, and wrote a little mea culpa: https://bigleaguebreaks.com/inside-t...en-heroes-die/

It is a bizarre thing and I truly didn't get it until last week. Something about seeing my Aarons made me want to hang onto them. I didn't even see the guy play. It's a strange mentality.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:45 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

“Agree it’s very rare that I see the younger generation set building say a guy who is in mid 30’s Wall Street manager makes 500k plus a year. He says he wants a 52 Mantle Jackie and Mays in PSA 7’s I ask him what about the rest of the set how are you doing on it. He says I don’t care for them I just want the Stars. High end common set building I think is a thing of the past.”

Johnny, I agree with much of this. I have never been a set builder because I didn’t care about the commons. Still do not. I used to be an anomaly, but now I am much closer to mainstream

“Mistake I've made is selling a card without having it's replacement lined up. I figured I'd sell it, get paid, then go shopping. Well the sale went fine, but it's been months now and I can't find the right replacement. In the meantime, prices seem to go up up up.”

So true. It is the only way to proceed in a market like this.

“Those of us who have been active for decades in the hobby are feeling like we are about to get priced out so we are pulling the trigger on big ones we have always wanted and even paying a little more than we wanted to. We do this because of the fear it will be out of our price range before long.”

Absolutely. I started doing that a few years ago with some cards; wish I’d done more. FOMO is real.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-26-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:39 AM

Ok, agree the top tier vintage HOFers from prominent sets is what more people are trying to obtain these days. Commons not so much, even from big time sets.

I wonder what future may hold for some of the more obscure sets with Cobb/Matty/W. Johnson/etc. ? Not the T206, Cracker Jack, Goudey - but stuff like S74 silks, 1910 Sweet Cap pins, Domino Discs, to a lesser degree M116's, early Exhibits, odd 1920's issues - all have Cobb/Matty/Young/W. Johnson in them. These cards have been stagnant for a while now. Is it their time now to break thru and start skyrocketing?

Aaron vs. Mays - since way back their prices have been quite comparable. So now Aaron passes, his cards go up. I can see the logic behind the Mays cards closely following to keep pace.

No longer able to afford what I once collected, am now turning to modern shiny stuff of todays mega stars, Curry, Giannis, Trout, few others. It keeps me active in the hobby which is sure nice. And can't believe it but last couple weeks just plunked down some decent coin for a few old 1999 first year Pokemon Holo's. Oh, my - what am I doing ?!?!
Old 01-26-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Ok, agree the top tier vintage HOFers from prominent sets is what more people are trying to obtain these days. Commons not so much, even from big time sets.

I wonder what future may hold for some of the more obscure sets with Cobb/Matty/W. Johnson/etc. ? Not the T206, Cracker Jack, Goudey - but stuff like S74 silks, 1910 Sweet Cap pins, Domino Discs, to a lesser degree M116's, early Exhibits, odd 1920's issues - all have Cobb/Matty/Young/W. Johnson in them. These cards have been stagnant for a while now. Is it their time now to break thru and start skyrocketing?

Aaron vs. Mays - since way back their prices have been quite comparable. So now Aaron passes, his cards go up. I can see the logic behind the Mays cards closely following to keep pace.

No longer able to afford what I once collected, am now turning to modern shiny stuff of todays mega stars, Curry, Giannis, Trout, few others. It keeps me active in the hobby which is sure nice. And can't believe it but last couple weeks just plunked down some decent coin for a few old 1999 first year Pokemon Holo's. Oh, my - what am I doing ?!?!
From my perspective the further away it is from a piece of cardboard the less it moves with the market. Strip cards lag behind standard cards, stamps behind them, and silks, blankets, pins, coins, and so on are far behind. They'll increase but I don't see them "breaking out." Just my two cents.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:45 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post

this..., nah....you'll probably have the last laugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (6.8 KB, 744 views)
Old 01-26-2021, 10:41 AM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post
I used to feel this way, and I wrote bout it after Kobe died using almost the exact same wording as you about autographs: https://bigleaguebreaks.com/inside-t...-sports-cards/

After Aaron died, I got it, and wrote a little mea culpa: https://bigleaguebreaks.com/inside-t...en-heroes-die/

It is a bizarre thing and I truly didn't get it until last week. Something about seeing my Aarons made me want to hang onto them. I didn't even see the guy play. It's a strange mentality.
That's a good piece on Aaron. I think your assessment it right. It's something I've thought about as well after seeing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ-6Pe6iNyw
Old 01-26-2021, 12:41 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post

I have collected his stuff for 45 years. While I am tempted to cash in my RC, I can't. This is the third one I've owned and each time I had to get another one.

As to prices in general, it is crazy. They are up so much that I've had to redo my insurance this year. I don't know how far it will go, but I am glad I didn't cash out some of the cards 30% ago when I was tempted.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-26-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:12 PM
Bobby Binder

To the point of the OP

I know of at least one Hedge Fund started and they raised $10 mil in the first 30 days. They are having additional rounds coming up and expect to raise about 50 mil by summer.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:23 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I have collected his stuff for 45 years. While I am tempted to cash in my RC, I can't. This is the third one I've owned and each time I had to get another one.

As to prices in general, it is crazy. They are up so much that I've had to redo my insurance this year. I don't know how far it will go, but I am glad I didn't cash out some of the cards 30% ago when I was tempted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
While I am tempted to cash in my RC, I can't.
I feel ya..... I'm whittling down my collection around the edges so It'll be more manageable when my daughters open the suitcase with Al Crisafulli's son.

I'm pretty confident I'll never sell any of my Aarons ... except maybe that 75 topps (uugghh)
Old 01-27-2021, 07:59 PM
Fred

Apply lessons learned from the GameStop and AMC Theatres stock manipulation... funny stuff.