NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-30-2022, 04:16 PM

Default Game Used bats

Now I know where they all went! LOL.

Seriously, I recently had a case where a game used bat was being given a number grade and letter. I was told in a text it would be a 9.5. Then an hour later, I received a second text saying that after an in person examination of the restoration work that was done, it would now be a 9. Makes you wonder if someone took a look at all of the 9.5 outs their of this particular player and decided that maybe there are too many and we better lesson the grade a little. Or that in the restoration work, some of the use disappeared somehow. A lot of power for only a couple of people whom deal with certification letters. Just saying.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:27 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicollector1954 View Post
Now I know where they all went! LOL.

Seriously, I recently had a case where a game used bat was being given a number grade and letter. I was told in a text it would be a 9.5. Then an hour later, I received a second text saying that after an in person examination of the restoration work that was done, it would now be a 9. Makes you wonder if someone took a look at all of the 9.5 outs their of this particular player and decided that maybe there are too many and we better lesson the grade a little. Or that in the restoration work, some of the use disappeared somehow. A lot of power for only a couple of people whom deal with certification letters. Just saying.
The game use of course stayed constant - the repair work must've not been first rate.

My pet peeve regarding bat grading is that they use one grade to evaluate 2 distinctly different things - use by the player the bat was made for, and condition.

I once had a 1964 Frank Robinson bat that was clearly ordered by and used by him. It matched factory orders specifically to that year, it was not the model number used for pro stock, it had his uniform number on the knob written in his usual style, I believe the handle was scored, and so on. The PSA/DNA letter made it clear it was used by Frank.

But...... there were a lot of tiny abrasions and scratches on it, which Taube attributed to kids playing with it after it was cracked and discarded by Frank. Because of these imperfections, it was graded GU 6.5.

What it should've been graded was something like:

Authenticity: GU 10
Condition: GU 5

Personally, I'd rather have a bat with flaws that was definitely used by the player, rather than a nice looking bat with uncertainty as to who used it.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:31 PM

Default Game used bats

I will not comment on who did the repair work but only say they have been doing this for many years and are considered one of the best in the hobby. In the future, I think I will get a letter and leave the cracks--chips, etc. alone for the next person to fix if in fact I ever decide to part with it.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:57 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicollector1954 View Post
I will not comment on who did the repair work but only say they have been doing this for many years and are considered one of the best in the hobby. In the future, I think I will get a letter and leave the cracks--chips, etc. alone for the next person to fix if in fact I ever decide to part with it.
It might've been something else, like not enough use (ball, stitch marks, tar, etc.) I once had a rookie era Bench bat that was only given a GU 8 because there wasn't enough "use." His #5 in distinctive style was on the knob and there were ball marks, but not enough I guess.

Another thing you can do, and I wish I'd done this with my Frank, is get the PSA letter but just don't ask them to grade it. It'll save you some money, and then you can show authenticity without getting dinged for imperfections or light use.

I share your frustration. By the way, I had some bats restored by a guy who had been doing that kind of work for a long time. He did an excellent job, and was especially a magician with badly cracked, even shattered, handles. But he had one annoying tendency - he liked to put some stain and shiny varnish on the bats. He said he thought it made them "look better."

The last time he worked on a bat for me, I asked him very specifically to not do that, to leave the finish dull as it currently was. He replied by email, asking if I was sure I didn't want any stain or finish on it and I repeated, yes, I wanted the bat repaired, but to look as it did, which was dull (it was a 50+ year old bat.) When I got the bat back, as soon as I opened the box, I could smell the very strong odor of the varnish, and sure enough, that was the shiniest 1955-1960 era bat you ever saw. I was so angry, like the guy intentionally overruled my very specific and repeated instruction.

Anyway... I'm just glad I've got a top notch jersey guy who's done some outstanding work for me. He's got 2 of my shirts now in fact.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:35 AM
P@trick Ma.gill

Default Rookie Bench at GU 8?

Any chance you still have the rookie era Bench bat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
It might've been something else, like not enough use (ball, stitch marks, tar, etc.) I once had a rookie era Bench bat that was only given a GU 8 because there wasn't enough "use." His #5 in distinctive style was on the knob and there were ball marks, but not enough I guess.

Another thing you can do, and I wish I'd done this with my Frank, is get the PSA letter but just don't ask them to grade it. It'll save you some money, and then you can show authenticity without getting dinged for imperfections or light use.

I share your frustration. By the way, I had some bats restored by a guy who had been doing that kind of work for a long time. He did an excellent job, and was especially a magician with badly cracked, even shattered, handles. But he had one annoying tendency - he liked to put some stain and shiny varnish on the bats. He said he thought it made them "look better."

The last time he worked on a bat for me, I asked him very specifically to not do that, to leave the finish dull as it currently was. He replied by email, asking if I was sure I didn't want any stain or finish on it and I repeated, yes, I wanted the bat repaired, but to look as it did, which was dull (it was a 50+ year old bat.) When I got the bat back, as soon as I opened the box, I could smell the very strong odor of the varnish, and sure enough, that was the shiniest 1955-1960 era bat you ever saw. I was so angry, like the guy intentionally overruled my very specific and repeated instruction.

Anyway... I'm just glad I've got a top notch jersey guy who's done some outstanding work for me. He's got 2 of my shirts now in fact.
Old 04-23-2022, 11:00 AM
Brendan Mullen

I’m not sure one can consider an ARod bat “vintage”...
Old 04-28-2022, 02:37 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I was under bidder on the 1929 Paul Waner in REA part of bat was removed so that the 1929 NY Giants could sign the bat. Given the order records listed on the PSA letter I felt pretty strong that Waner himself used the bat and as I mentioned earlier his is a bat I have had on my wantlist for along time. My plan was to display it as a waner bat with the auto's turned to the back. I thought I had won the bat Sunday night and my bid held up until just before the final 10 minute bidding on Monday. Not happy I lost it but I was not happy about the extra day of bidding given to make up for the 4 minutes of downtime. So getting closer to a vintage bat. But as blank spot on my bat rack reminds me close doesn't count...
Old 04-28-2022, 06:42 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcatbaseball View Post
Any chance you still have the rookie era Bench bat?
No. As I recall, around 2013 or so, you and I discussed the Bench and my 1965-68 Yaz bats and couldn't make a deal. I later sold both.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:45 PM
Ben North

Here are about half of my bats. Most are from 1984-2000. I Have only ever owned one vintage(early 1900s) bat and traded it to a fellow member.

In the small area I collect the prices have increased easily 50% over the last 2 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg br1.jpg (150.2 KB, 594 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 03-30-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:48 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Here are about half of my bats. Most are from 1984-2000. I Have only ever owned one vintage(early 1900s) bat and traded it to a fellow member.

In the small area I collect the prices have increased easily 50% over the last 2 years.
Great bat display rack! Did you make it?
Old 03-30-2022, 04:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
Great bat display rack! Did you make it?
Yes, it was my practice one. Sometime this summer i hope to make a similar but way nicer one. I want to put my better bats in the new one and my store models in the one pictured.

It is pretty simple and uses 5 boards.
(1) 1" X 8" X 6'
(2) 1" X 6" X 6'
(1) 1" X 4" X 6'
(1) 1" X 3" X 6'