NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2022, 08:41 AM
Mark

Default TPG - Scrapps Tobacco

Since there is now pretty solid evidence that there was no such thing as "Scrapps Tobacco" and the cards identified as those were actually issued by H.D. Smith & Co., will PSA reslab those cards with the corrected manufacturer?

Do other TPG houses still use Scrapps or do they now do H.D. Smith?
Old 05-05-2022, 09:51 AM
Larry P.

I've wondered the same thing.

But as a collector with an average budget, I'm waiting on the sidelines until PSA lowers their prices before I send in anything.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:31 AM
qualitycards

Just saw this on eBay, still listed as "scrapps tobacco" in their newest slab

Old 05-05-2022, 11:56 AM
Joe M.

Just sold these. Identified as 1888 Scrapps Tobacco.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AE61744F-CC1F-4A6B-B443-13A2223C47D7.jpg (195.7 KB, 268 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 05-05-2022, 01:11 PM
Al

As the guy who discovered the H.D. Smith thing, this frustrates me to no end.

-Al
Old 05-05-2022, 01:45 PM
Mark

I'm communicating with SGC and seem to be getting a bit of resistance. They don't seem to want to answer the question about relabeling a Scrapps Card as H.D. Smith & Co. unless I send my card into them.

Seems like an easy question. If I send it in, will you label it as H.D. Smith & Co. or not.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:39 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Sgc is now the biggest group of boobs on the planet. They sent back my cleared marked and chosen on their dropdown 1952 gray backs/Canadian and said the no longer label them. ReA had a group labeled by them last month. They didn't even know what I was referring to when I showed them their drop down menu, their email saying they wouldn't identify them, and the REA auction with new labels that clearly say gray back. Filed and won with my credit card. I wouldnt send them my excrement to slab.

Choice if Net 54, unless psa slabs it instead

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 05-05-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:39 PM
Mike

Here's letterhead from the H>D> Smith Co from 1920
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (197.0 KB, 206 views)
Old 05-07-2022, 05:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
As the guy who discovered the H.D. Smith thing, this frustrates me to no end.

-Al
+1

I didn't discover anything but I wish the TPG's would quit calling things "Hand cut" when they never were and aren't.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:34 PM
Clint

I always thought the Scapps part referred to the fact they were made to be put in scrap books. When did the Scapps become part of tobacco?

Last edited by ksfarmboy; 05-07-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:22 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
I always thought the Scapps part referred to the fact they were made to be put in scrap books. When did the Scapps become part of tobacco?
I thought it referred to the type of tobacco.

Scrap: A category in the U.S. Department of Agriculture's grading system denoting tobacco that has been broken into small pieces; scrap does not include any portion of the tobacco stems. Scrap results from handling tobacco during processing or manufacturing, whereas broken leaf results from handling that occurs prior to processing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-07-2022, 06:49 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I thought it referred to the type of tobacco.

Scrap: A category in the U.S. Department of Agriculture's grading system denoting tobacco that has been broken into small pieces; scrap does not include any portion of the tobacco stems. Scrap results from handling tobacco during processing or manufacturing, whereas broken leaf results from handling that occurs prior to processing.
Yes but the Victorian trade cards and different litho pieces were also referred to as scraps. I’ve went through several of these Victorian scrapbooks and have alway heard the pieces described as scraps. I just wondered if someone had made the wrong conclusion that these were the scrap tobacco instead of the term scraps for scrapbook.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:12 PM
D@vid Fel@

Rob was the one that started the rumor about scraps tobacco

http://www.rustywilly.com/largecards...hiteDeacon.htm

It was in a 2005 auction catalog that Rob Lifson of Robert Edward Auctions came clean about the origin of the “Scrapps Tobacco” name. “The responsibility for this erroneous attribution, we must admit, falls squarely on the shoulders of Robert Edward Auctions’ President Robert Lifson.” Lifson then proceeds to explain that in 1974, while working on the Sports Collectors Bible, he was fact-checking with hobby pioneer Dr. Lawrence Kurzok. When Kurzok verified that the cards were “Scrapps,” Lifson interpreted this as “Scrapps Tobacco.” The issue was published in the Sports Collectors Bible this way, and has been known by that moniker ever since.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:16 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Thank you David, great information

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-07-2022, 10:45 PM
Al

Here’s the post detailing the discovery with all the appropriate documentation. Eight years ago, and yet they’re still being called “Scrapps Tobacco.”

https://loveofthegameauctions.com/th...rapps-tobacco/

-Al
Old 05-11-2022, 06:41 AM
Mark

I got a response from PSA. So far nothing from SGC

Good morning Mark

I do understand that we have different information discovered in the last few years about the probable source of these diecut cards. I have brought this information to our Research department management team to consider this request to be renamed to H.D. Smith & Co, but I am not sure if/when this would happen. So at this time, we are not able to correct this label, but it is something we will consider for the future.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Beth Duma