NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Default "Baseball Magazine" Posters

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I recently won an item described as a 1913 Baseball Magazine Poster of Chief Meyers. I believe that they may be listed with the American Card Catalog label of M113. I am awaiting the arrival of the item, and I'm hopeful that it is original.

I am also very aware that some of these baseball premiums have been reprinted over the years.

I was able to find several of these posters with the same dimensions of
10" X 19" listed in an old Oregon Trail catalog. One of the lots in the same catalog included the mailing tube that these posters were shipped in.

I have seen one of these Chief Meyers' posters about 10 years ago at an antique shop in Maine that had edge tears, which I believed was an original.

I have also seen another poster last year at a card show which had far less clarity and had no edge wear. Since the dealer had about a dozen of these posters of various players, all pristine, and all shrink wrapped, I assumed these were reprints.

Lastly, I also passed on one of these last year on EBAY that the seller revealed was quite a bit smaller than the 10" X 19" size.

I'm curious as to whether the reprints are all smaller dimensions?

If anyone could provide feedback on this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Patrick

Old 04-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patick McMenemy

If anyone would like to view the Chief Meyers' Baseball Magazine Poster, feel free to look under completed items, Item number: 5178743826.

Thanks, Patrick

Old 04-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I had a Ty Cobb and the paper was similar to many magazine suppliments-- thin, white coated and smooth/semi-glossy. Much like modern glossy magazine paper. Not matte like newspaper.

I hadn't heard of reprints of the Baseball Magazine premiums, other than many were issued by the magazine over a number of years. Without seeing it is person, my guess is the one you bought is genuine.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the response David.

The 1998 Oregon Trail auction catalog that I eluded to mentioned that reprints do exist for these issues.

Thanks, Patrick

Old 04-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

I bought a few of the reprints - they are very large, but have a matte finish as David said. Also, they are wider than the real ones. The final clue - the ones I have look like they were made from images of real ones that were sort of beat-up.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the response Scott.

I'm curious as to what the dimensions of your Meyers' reprint poster might be?
Did it come shrink wrapped?

Thanks, Patrick

Old 04-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

I just pulled them out to check - I had forgotten you and I discussed the Meyers when I originally won the auctions.

They are still nice items. I only wanted the Nap Rucker, and got carried away - ended up with Rucker, Meyers, Jennings, Plank, Bender and McInnes. I think I paid about $60 for the group, which didn't bother me too much since the Rucker is very nice and I've never seen the photo before. Of course, now I see the original one on ebay all the time

Since buying these, I won a real Wagner - the quality of these is equal, but they are on matte-finish paper, rather than glossy. "Baseball Magazine" reprinted many of the older ones from 1930 on. These are NOT modern computer-generated, but rather they are real prints. So I guess it's possible that they were created toward the end of when BM made this sort of thing. I really don't know, but I've owned the real old ones, and these ain't them.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I have a Baseball Magazine ad from 1936. You can order many different posters from the "tobacco card" era ...

Old 04-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Old 04-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Thanks for all the responses. This is one of the issues where very little is written about.

I had originally bid on the Chief Meyers that you later won Scott. When the seller emailed the dimensions to me, I realized that it was smaller than the original I had seen first-hand at the antique shop in Maine. I, therefore, retracted my bid since it wasn't an original but a reproduction.

Thanks all,

Patrick

Old 04-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Finally got my Chief Meyers M113 Poster today. It looks like the real deal, and will look great matted and framed.

Patrick