NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default Ty Cobb Auto experts

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

This particular Ty Cobb Auto (Auction) seems to have gotten the seal of approval simply because it has been inserted INTO a new modern card brand.  From all accounts, the auto looks real but I think I would prefer something certified by PSA or SGC vs Fleer..  I dunno, maybe I am being paranoid.

http://tinyurl.com/55p6p8 

Do you think Fleer got this right?  Have seen any examples where a card manufacturer got it WRONG and were duped??

martyOgelvie
New York Yankee cards
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J.McMurry

Check Richard Simons website. I think he might still have pics posted of some of the Upper Deck phoneys of a couple years back.

Fleer could very easily fall into "The ScoreBoard" status.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the response.. JMcMurry

I checked out the website you referred to by Richard Simmons and he shows quite a few modern cards with CUT autographs inserted in them that he deems questionable if not totally bogus.  Good info. This at least confirms my suspicions that the current card makers could easily insert a bogus cut autograph inside a card. enough to make me veer away from this current Cobb Auction. I'm not saying its real or not but I am saying that I will not use Fleer (defunct company) as my Autograph authenticator...

martyOgelvie
New York Yankee cards

Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I believe this one is real. What I question is the ridiculous price, especially considering the top and bottom of Cobb's signature are both cut off. I always wonder why people pay such a premium for a partial signature, just because it's attached to a modern card?? IMO, these seem like very contrived collectibles.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

They have made mistakes, but the big card companies are generally reliable for authentic autographs. One can send his Fleer autograph card to PSA or JSA/Beckett for second opinion. I believe Topps now has JSA authenticate all their vintage cuts.

With the modern non-cut signatures, the players are under contract to sign. There have been a few errors with these, but these are also generally reliable. I believe today Topps has witness to all the signing. Otherwise they are usually done via mail. For second opinion, I once asked Jimmy Spence what he thought of the authenticity of these modern cards, and he said the signatures overall looked good looked good-- which I interpreted to mean he did see a problem once in a while.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

David,
Thanks for the ALWAYS informative information.  I have the ulitmate trust with the companies current and still alive player autographs that they contract to sign I just worry about the deceased CUT Autos.. those can be real head scratchers..

martyOgelvie
New York Yankee cards

Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Marty, I agree with you in that if I would prefer to buy one of these cut Ruth, Gehrig or Cobb cards when it has a second opinion. I personally believe the companies are generally reliable (I didn't say perfect), but would like the card in a Beckett or PSA/DNA holder. Though I don't plan on buying one of these cards.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Not buying here either at those prices.. If I am paying that much, I would prefer something like a Ball, Bat, Glove, almost anything vs a modern card.. also I don't like cancelled checks.. not sure what the allure there is..

martyOgelvie
New York Yankee cards

Old 07-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Checks are easier to authenticate than bats and balls