NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default Need the help of expert card detectives

Posted By: TBob 

I bought these 3 cards on eBay knowing:
1) They are not T206s as described, they are M116s from the tough scarce series and
2) I had never seen any of the 3 for sale on ebay in the last couple of years and
3) The name and team typed on the bottom are absolutely incorrect.
Can anyone tell me who these guys are?????

Thanks!
TB

Old 03-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Old 03-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

bob,

the first one is perring, columbus, the second one is erwin, brooklyn and last one charlie smith, boston.

scott

Old 03-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Hi TBOB:

I saw that weird group of Sporting Life photo cards as well on EBAY. I didn't recognize any of the players, which makes me wonder if these were individuals that didn't make the final cut for the M116 series.

That would possibly explain why the names were not printed on the cards as they were perhaps a test series.

At a later date, someone then typed in their guess regarding player identification. As we saw with Keith Obermann's "Eight Men In" T206 find, the identifications were incorrect.

Just my guess.

Old 03-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Leave it to Scott to identify Horner photos! Below is Erwin's T207 - it's almost certainly the same guy in Bob's 2nd photo.

</

Old 03-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

TBOB:

Erwin, Brooklyn is shown in the Frank Slocum Classic Baseball Cards book.

Old 03-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Do these photos not exist in m116 set?

Jay

Old 03-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

all of the cards the seller offered were known and listed in the set, at first i thought he may have had some surprises, but after looking at larger scans you could see where the type had been erased and typewritten over, obviously by kids making up there own teams. he had a few t205's which were easier to tell. many were easily recognizable, but some took looking up in my set.

scott

Old 03-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Administrator

I appreciate it, they will be nice placeholders until others come around. I probably could have had the other 3 scarce series cards I was bidding on but the guy who won at least 2, maybe 3 of them must be a team (Boston I think) collector and chased the price up on them because someone had typed Boston on the card, of course the players were no more from Boston than I am. A couple of fellow collectors asked me what I was doing bidding on these cards but anyone who has ever put together a tough set card by card knows you will take any condition scarce card in the set even it means one with problems, hoping a better one comes along down the road.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

Hi Bob--seeing that Scott has answered the question of the player identities, thought I would point out that Tim N. mentioned in another thread that these cards should also have the correct identity of the player penciled in on the back of the card. I have five of these typed-jobbies, and I find myself flipping them over to remind myself what player is actually pictured.

Brian

Old 03-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Hi Brian and all,

What I meant to say was that the 35 of them that I bought from Gar Miller a few years ago had the correct names on the backs. Gar probably wrote them on himself. It sounds as though the ones that have shown up on ebay don't have that feature, even though they were obviously doctored by the same person.

I'm aggravated about this whole thing and can't believe how much the d*** things brought on ebay. I wonder how much of this was due to the seller's egregious mislabeling of them. I could sell the remaining ones I have, but I would have to describe them accurately, assure people they were not "new discoveries" or "uncataloged" (not to mention that they weren't T206). And they'd bring maybe $5 apiece. This jerk's ignorance made him a fair amount of extra money.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

and I have seen board members' opinions on this fall all the way along it, from total disgust with any "disguising" of facts, to a feeling that it is completely the buyer's responsibility and anything short of a flat-out lie is allowable by the seller.

Basically, many ebayers (and auction houses) treat their auctions like a detective game: they attempt to create added value in the bidders' minds by indicating what the item "might" be (something rare or very valuable), then present all the evidence needed in order for the bidder to solve the mystery, determining (if they follow the clues correctly) that it is NOT valuable at all...the problem is that the research involved usually takes more brains than most ebayers possess, and/or more time and effort than anyone is willing to spend.

The key thing: the ebayer almost always knows what they are selling, but appeal to our desire to get something rare for a bargain, with words and phrases like "supplement", "proof", "might be real".

Old 03-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Administrator

A really nice M116 scarce series Ford NY in near EXMT except for top to bottom centering problems goes for $32???? I paid nearly that for the "junk" M116s with the type on the bottom. I already had Ford but should have bid on it as a "trader." I have a scarce M116 Gaspar in around EX+ on ebay now and it too is hanging around $39 when it should be up around $90-100. You just never know on eBay.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Can you identify these 2 guys from the M116 set?
Thanks
TBob

Old 03-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim N

The other I don't recognize.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Administrator

The second one is Cliff Curtis. Since I had both Ferguson and Curtis, I passed.
Thanks again.
TB