NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 AM
John Harrell

Default auction of Big Train's personal collection

I read an article in today's newspaper that Walter Johnson's personal collection of memorabilia will be sold by his family. His daughter is 90 and has decided to sell all but a few items from her father's personal collection of memorabilia, including the only known complete ticket from game 7 of the 1924 World Series. Should produced some sizable bids.

John
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Hank Thomas

Here's links to the article, with pics of Mom and me, and the auction:

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article...on-4290347.php

http://sports.ha.com/c/search-result...952894&erpp=72

Our stuff at #80029-80036.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Scott

Also, the last line of the article:

She said one of her most vivid memories was "being impatient about getting into the stadium because everybody wanted his autograph, and he never turned anybody away."

Its pretty bad when in those days a SUPERSTAR like Walter went out of his way to sign for people so much, and guys today won't even look at you at the park, even the scrubs. Of course, with e'one trying to resell, and rude people all over , parents using their kids as pawns, etc, it doesn't totally shock me. Its still something that bugs me tho.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 AM

What can you say, Walter was THE MAN and I am sure he is thrilled from beyond that he can still find a way to provide happiness to his family and fans 70+ years after he died.

Cool story and Hank, I dont have any grandma's left and your Mom looks AWESOME so I am in the market for a Grandma if she's down with it

Rhys
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Hank Thomas

Thanks, Rhys, I'm happy to share her. She's a real chip off the old block, wonderful person. Still living on her own in the house we moved into in 1955. Walter's Mother made it to 100, and hopefully Mom will make it at least that far.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM

Here's to 10++ years of health and happiness to her! I hope the sale goes wonderful for you guys, I dont think finding buyers will be a problem.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

The collection is presented well in the hard-copy catalog. Good luck Hank.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The Statue pictured with Hank is incredible. Guess its not going to market, and is staying with the family?

Can't blame the family if that's the case... It's got to be one of very few to exist.

Best of luck with the sale!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Hank,

Best of luck with the sale. We'll all be watching!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 02-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Hank Thomas

Thanks, everybody, much appreciated. If any Net54ers make it to the preview Friday night, please say hello. Apparently, I'll have a little setup there to talk up the Walter stuff and I'll also have some of my hardcover books to sign and give away. Hope to see some of you there.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Aaron Abram

I really wish some of this stuff would end up in his hometown of humbolt Kansas. Growing up in Iowa and watching feller do it the right way with his museum. If you haven't seen fellers museum its pretty amazing. It's a shame that the big train can't have something similar.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabram23 View Post
I really wish some of this stuff would end up in his hometown of humbolt Kansas. Growing up in Iowa and watching feller do it the right way with his museum. If you haven't seen fellers museum its pretty amazing. It's a shame that the big train can't have something similar.
It's almost impossible to make it work. I guess Feller had the right combination of circumstances, not the least of which was living into his 90s. Even Ted Williams couldn't pull it off.