NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2003, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default 1896 chopped up Spalding

Posted By: runscott 

I would love to see one of these 1896 Guides before Roy Huff took his scissors to it - it has some great photos. BTW, the real value to these guides "whole" is that they actually have stories, stats, and other writing in them. Once chopped up, all you have is selected pictures with "partial text" on the back - all else is lost. These are "books", not "folios" of stand-alone pictures. No baseball historian or anyone that places any value on books would do to these what Roy Huff does. I contacted someone who recently sold a book to "PSA10GEMCARDS" on ebay, letting her know that this guy simply tears the pages out and sells them individually on ebay (even the back covers!) - her reaction was to try to get me to outbid him on the remaining guides. I even went to the extreme of offering her more than book value so that this jerk wouldn't end up with them, but she got greedy and refused. So get ready to see a few torn up Reach guides on ebay soon! (nice condition ones)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2712927096&category=31718

Old 02-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Administrator

PSA10Gemcards is also Roy Huff. He sells the cut up pictures under the "libertyforall" handle, then sells the other complete pages as "psa10gemcards". I always wondered why "psa10gemcards" never sold any pages that were very interesting - checked his feedback out of curiosity and found a "Thanks Roy" rather quickly. I have spoken with sellers of these old guides and some of them are aware of Roy and almost all refuse to sell to him, except "McDermitt" who doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

Quite ironic that he would include "PSA10" in his handle, considering he grades his own stuff.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: R

I wonder how long these morons will keep posting false libelous info (Roy Huff grades his own stuff). I use 3 different graders (not of which affiliated with me in any way) to grade my memorabilia. My merchandise is accurately described and most of my bidders are happy with there purchases and are repeat customers. There will always be people upset within anyone trying to make a living regardless of the service or product offered legal or not. When I sold Bible leaves, I had preachers emailing me saying I will burn in Hell; When I sold Hello Kitty merchadise I had death threats (on one occasion for selling a Hello Kitty erasor)! The bottom line is there will always be someone unhappy with whatever it is I sell; Also items sold are legal and accurately described; and idiots obsessed with preserving historical documents are more than welcome to preserve there own property while I split it up and sell it for a profit.

Old 02-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

LMAO, "R" for Roy? Haven't you figured out that we are able to trace your ISP? Can't imagine there is anyone but Roy Huff and his loser friends that chop up old guides that live in HI.

To quote one of my favorite lines from the movie Snatch, "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity".

Jay

Old 02-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Roy,

First things first. My gut feeling tells me if you don't know how to spell eraser [sic, erasor] you probably didn't sell too many of them.

Next, let's not be too melodramatic here. No one is sending you death threats for obsessively destroying historical baseball documents, manipulatively grading "paper cutouts" and selling the resulting scraps to hobby newbies for sums well in excess of the actual values. Indeed, for those noble actions, we're simply placing the ignominious titles "hobby scum" and "scam artiste extraordinaire" firmly on your beckoning shoulders. Congratulations! You should be proud of yourself! Your eBay accolades will assure you that the name "Roy Huff" will always be held in high esteem by collectors of vintage baseball cards. Trust me. The members of this forum will make sure that the fabled magnificence of your wondrous deeds is spread far and wide. Truly, we all bow down to your esteemed effervescence, great "Sage of the Spalding Snip-it!"

Old 02-25-2003, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Roy, thanks for posting - the following portions of your post indicate your character far better than I ever could:

<<When I sold Bible leaves, I had preachers emailing me saying I will burn in Hell>> ...why on earth would they be upset?

<<...and idiots obsessed with preserving historical documents...>> ...we certainly don't need any of these fools on the planet!

Old 02-25-2003, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The folks you sell to are uninformed. When they become informed it is too late, they have lost their money. It is probably true that you are not doing anything illegal. Unethical YES, illegal probably not.....I can only imagine the emails you get when people find out. I would also think that some of them are too embarrassed to talk about it as you are a scammer extraordinaire.....and they have made a huge mistake. As far as preserving historical artifacts I am not surprised that you don't care. That would take a conscience and you DON'T have one.....I hope you rot in he** .......best regards

Old 02-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

If you want to prove your integrity, how about listing your cut-outs somewhere besides the vintage cards listings?

Old 02-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: r

I have and do on occasion list in other categories. Ebay's policy regarding which category is letting the seller decide what is the most appropriate category and allows them discretion. The reason I list in the graded trading cards category is because there is no graded memorabilia category. There are many listing of graded memorablia in the trading card category including graded dominoe chips, cigar labels, playing cards, felts, ect. I even specifically emailed Ebay if it was ok to list my graded memorabilia (specifally giving them an auction I listed) in the category and they gave the ok. I think both categories are appropriate and further my description is EXTREMELY descriptive and I clearly state items that are paper stock cut outs and when there is text on back, ect. The bottom line is that the items are accurately described and it is the responsibility of the bidder to read the description. I even have a refund policy which covers almost all my items. I rarely get a refund request (none in the last 3 months) and contrary to the earlier post I get rave comments telling me how they loved my unique memorabilia, and they come back to buy more. There are several grading companies grading memorablia, several sellers selling it, and there is no reason why I shouldn't cash in on a legal high demand items with nice profit margins.
I am the first to sell this type of item and demand has forced comepetition. I have; however, never graded my own items and never will. A little investigation on your part would confirm this. See ya.

Old 02-25-2003, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Roy, if your items are on the up-and-up, then why the private auctions? If they are so desirable, and winners so happy with what they get, then someone informing bidders as to what your really sell should not be a problem. Or is it teh fact that you are hiding shill bidding to make it look people interested in the items when there really is none.

There is no legitimate reason for a private auction outside of a big ticket item, where protecting bidder identities is need so they don't get hounded by everyone to their low grade items.

So how about it, you gonna drop the private auctions? You don't use it for any other sutions you run.

Jay

Old 02-25-2003, 10:19 PM
Administrator

The reason I run private auctions is because in the past I have had competitors or people like yourself harassing my bidders. I have not and do not engage in shill bidding. I am a powerseller and have not lasted this long on Ebay by enganging is such blatant vialations of Ebay's TOS. I have had people suspected shill bidding before and I always tell them the same thing. If you feel this way simply email ebay! I can always use a good chuckle at someone showing there ignorance and making an ass of themselves!

Old 02-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Roy,

I conducted a search of eBay using the key words "paper scraps." Here is what I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2161588208&category=1440

Please note which category this is -- Collectibles:Postcards & Paper:Scrapbooks

I also found the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3117940962&category=11791

Again, please pay attention to the category listing -- Toys & Hobbies:Crafting, Art Supplies:Scrapbooking:Pages, Paper:Other Pages, Paper

As you well know, either of these two categories would be appropriate for the items that you sell. For you to argue that the hand-cut paper scraps you are selling are actually baseball cards or baseball memorabilia, would be analogous to the seller of the second item above putting a frame around the colored scraps of paper and listing them as masterpieces in the "Art" category. For just as you might considering the general "appearance" of your worthless scraps to be similar to ACTUAL baseball cards, so too might one consider 10-cent pieces of colored construction paper to be similar to works of art such as these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3501395888&category=20135

Next, ask yourself the following question -- do most honest sellers on eBay list an item in an unrelated category in order to increase exposure or to mislead the buyer? I don't think there is any question that you ARE NOT selling graded baseball cards; but by virtue of the fact that graded baseball cards often command greater values and greater trust than those that are not graded, you have chosen a clever and deceptive method of categorizing your listings. The fact that some of the bidders in your auctions are unaware of what they've purchased and are naively content in the short-term does not prove that you are a hobby innovator; rather, it demonstrates your prowess as a snake-oil salesman.

One more thing – by cutting apart vintage baseball documents, you ARE NOT creating something that would be considered "memorabilia" by any stretch of the imagination. You are destroying, not creating. There are no dotted lines around the pictures you are snipping with your scissors; there are no price guides that list values for any of your graded abominations. Well, there is one -- the 2nd Annual 2003 "Crap Sellers Guide to smack and other scalawag scraps and rubble." Maybe you can list that as a resource in future auctions.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_McKenzie

To me it's spam. I don't really care if you sell that stuff on ebay. Just list it in the memorabilia section instead of the pre-50 baseball card section. I don't like scrolling past all your stuff to see a baseball card listed on there. A man should have the right to feed his family in America. People sell cutouts of Britney Spears from People Magazine on ebay. I feel bad that you have to feed your family by cutting out pages of books and magazines and selling them on ebay. Have you considered Hawaii community college??? You can move up in the world, bro.

Old 02-26-2003, 09:30 AM
Administrator

We could trade insults all day so to those I will not respond. I will say that there is no question this is memorabilia by simple definition. You simply just don't like it. The pre 1930 graded category is also a valid category and I will continue to list there. I will submit though that I will make money regardless of what category I list and I will always find some idiot who doesnt like what I sell regardless of what I sell and regardless of what category I list! But lets have a little experiment. I will list an item in the aforementioned category and lets see if I get $50+ for it! Check it out item #2713453844 . Oh and by the way I did go to college (The University of Hawaii) I also graduated top of my class (Valedictorian) in high school from Victory Christian Center School in Charlotte NC back in the day.

Old 02-26-2003, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Roy,

Are you suggesting that if the Ty Cobb paper scrap sells for $50 that you'll start listing all of your pretend baseball cards over there?

As to the question of the items you peddle being classified as memorabilia, I guess it truly does depend on one's definition. Is a tiny piece of a baseball card still a baseball card?

Old 02-26-2003, 10:22 AM
Administrator

No way we can tell if you got a legitimate $50 winning bid with a private auction. For all we know, you will shill it to $50.

As I said, you auctions, prices realized mean nothing until you run public auctions. You don't find the need to run any of your other auctions as private, so why these? Two possiblities, shill bidding which you claim you don't do, or to prevent unsuspecting bidders from learning the truth about your worthless scraps, which is most likely the truth since you mentioned in your last post that you can scam any idiot in any catagory.

All I can hope is that you get you $50 bid and then pack up your whole sleezy operation and list everything in that catagory so we no longer have to see your garbage.

As side note to your claim about not shill bidding and your 'integrity' as a Powerseller. We all the saw just how seriously eBay takes shill bidding when Broadway Rick's Scamzone got caught red handed shilling numerous auctions and was reported on nantional news, yet they didn't recieve so much as a temporary suspension of their account.

Jay

Old 02-26-2003, 10:33 AM
Administrator

You make the claim that your scrap qualifies for the basbeall card catagory becuase items such as Domino Discs, cigar labels and felts get listed there. Here's the big difference between them and your scrap, those items were designed to collected in the state that they exist and are listed in major baseball card catalogues, while your scraps don't exist 'per se' because they were never intended to be collected that way and cannot be found catalogued anywhere, in any sort of collectibles book.

As for the grading of your scraps, this is laughable at best since you do it yourself. And the grades that they receive don't much about your ability cut up a book. You can claim all you want that you don't grade them, but were shown in previous threads that there is little doubt that you and AAA are attached at the hip, make for one big a..

Jay

Old 02-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Administrator

We are basically talking to ourselves. As Leon pointed out, Roy is basically devoid of a value system, so this is a waste of our time - when you catch a petty thief stealing someone's purse, do you give them a lecture about right and wrong? No, you prosecute them. Hopefully the discomfort of the punishment discourages future socially unacceptable behavior. So, no, I don't think we will rehabilitate "valedictorian Roy". He's found a loop-hole and will exploit it as long as he can bring in the almighty dollar.

I did find it interesting that "r" claimed that someone would complain regardless of what he tries to sell. What an odd statement. Do the rest of us have this problem? Well, maybe Feldman and the people who were selling space shuttle debris.

Old 02-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am sure Roy is saying to himself "gee, he's really wrong, I have never graded anything MYSELF"....well Roy, we ain't that stupid....it's like me telling my wife I didn't buy "a" card...when I bought 2. As Polonius would say "to thine own self be true". What you are saying Roy might be true but you are fooling no one. If you yourself are not grading them then a cohort of yours, or someone you know, is. It remains that you are scamming people...plain and simple.....I assure you that in the long run you will get what is coming to you...think about it.....what comes around goes around in life. If you have never been told this here I am to tell you. You are scamming people, you know it, and it isn't right.....period......good friggin luck.....

Old 02-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay berhens

That may be, but for those of us 'contributing', it is probably cathartic. And then there is also the outside chance that something might actually click in roy's tiny little brain and he will see what a scumbag he really is.

Jay

Old 02-26-2003, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Well some peoples junk is someone elses treasure and obviously people (repeat buyers who know what they are buying) want my merchadise (due to its beauty). Why shouldn't they have the opportunity to buy what they want. But its obvious the posters here are convinced of there' opinion and no amount of facts or rational thinking is going to change that. Well there is no since in trying to reason with someone who is convinced the earth is flat and refuses to look at the basic facts. Oh well, I guess utter ignorance can be amusing and I'm always up for a good laugh. If you guys have nothing better to do that spend endless hours on chat boards are finding ways harass as many different sellers who you have an issue with then that is your choice but other people have real lives. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. Good luck with your grade school games, I'm sure individuals of limited intelligence get a real kick out of being God of there own little chat board universe.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Administrator

...but I did really enjoy Roy's initial post, which was a great summarization of what he's all about, and straight from the horse's mouth!

I was just thinking - Roy could cut up comic books and create "paper-stock cut-outs" of different super-heroes (with partial text on back, of course). He could also do this for nudie magazines - create a "Playboy - Miss December 1966", etc. It would be cheaper, the profit margin might be larger, the historical value of most of these items isn't that great and they're cheaper to buy.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Actually, the real money in paper cutouts is in articles clipped from magazines about mass murderers. I have a buddy that has been selling these on eBay for about 5 years and I am always stunned at the prices he gets. 4 or 5 articles removed from Time, Newsweek etc about Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, et al will usually ganrner him $100+. Simply amazing.

Jay

Old 02-26-2003, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Roy listed one of his cut-outs in a non-baseball category and has "3 bids" already! I guess when you have about eight ebay i.d.'s, finding "3 bid" isn't too tough!

Old 02-26-2003, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Here's an idea Roy, Why don't you send me a list of the last 25 people that won your "scrap" auctions. I will send them an email asking them what they think they actually bought. We will than see if they know what they are actually truly satisfied with what they bought. I will pick at random or maybe all of them. After I get responses I will send you a copy of the email I sent out so that you will see it is not an attack to you or them.

These is a very fair way of resolving the issue and deciding whether you want to try to clear your name.

Old 02-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Lee, only problem with this idea is that he'll just give the addys of his bogus accounts/shills and they will not give you a true answer.

The only real solution to Roy gaining any sort of credability is making his auctions public.

Jay

Old 02-27-2003, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_McKenzie

Roy:

I appreciate your candor...I graduated 107 out of 392. I know I looked up to our valedictorian and always knew he was on the up and up. I commend you for your sales of cut apart picture books on ebay. The "$500 buy it now" is the type of nice touch that valedictorians across the nation got over the hump with.

Old 02-28-2003, 07:51 AM
Administrator

He won a complete book on February 15 and he's already "parting it out".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2713666532&category=31616

Old 02-28-2003, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

you run private auctions because you do not want uneducation bidders to be made aware of the garbage you are selling. i am sick of you listing graded scraps of paper-by the very tough AAA, which has taken the added measure of securing the paper scraps in screw downs. I wish ebay would actually do something for a change, your represent everything that could possibly be wrong with a hobby. i am sick of having to filter through all your spam listings to get through to auctions of ACTUAL baseball cards. and wow validictorian from a school in nc, what qualified you for that not being married to your sister?