NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default The 1st National Sports Collectors Convention

Not sure if I am going this year, still about 50/50, but with a call from my good friend Joe T (hey Joe) yesterday, it might have pushed it to 60/40 going....At any rate here is something out of the recent Leland's auction I thought others might enjoy seeing too. It is 12 total pages.

Last edited by Leon; 02-04-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Very cool. I set up at that show and sold off my collection. It really wasn't much bigger than the Anaheim annual shows '73-'76, but had the "national" designation. Didn't take long to catch on.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:50 PM

Default First national

I had a table at the 1979 show. Same show the next year, but they called it the national. So I can almost say I had a table at the first national card show.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Chris Counts

I went to the Anaheim show in '74, and I believe it was advertised as the "West Coast" show. I still have a badge from it lying around somewhere. Two years later, I attended a show in Michigan I distinctly remember being called a "national show." I believe it was in Plymouth. I'll never forget walking up to the first booth and rifling through a shoebox of 1953 Bowman Hall of Famers in Ex-Mt. There were a stack of Mantles about two inches thick, and they were $11 each. If only I had a time machine ...
Old 02-04-2016, 01:17 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I went to the Anaheim show in '74, and I believe it was advertised as the "West Coast" show. I still have a badge from it lying around somewhere. Two years later, I attended a show in Michigan I distinctly remember being called a "national show." I believe it was in Plymouth.
Last night I was looking at an issue of The Sport Hobbyist from 1977 on which the cover was trumpeting the upcoming "national show", with a list of previous "national shows" that were really just various prominent regional shows, including the Detroit-area show that started in 1970. Charles Brooks, editor of The Sport Hobbyist, seemed to really want to promote the idea of a national convention over the years. In the August 1956 issue of The Sport Hobbyist and Journal, from which I posted Lionel Carter's article on T207s last night, Brooks (who was still in high school at the time) mentioned that plans for a national card convention had been postponed.

There were several prominent regional shows in the 70s that often attracted collectors from around the country -- the Detroit show, the Philly show, the West Coast show -- and for all I know some of them may have occasionally been called a "national" show. But the idea didn't really catch on or become explicit until the 1980 show in Anaheim, which helpfully came at the start of a big boom in card prices and hobby interest.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:21 PM
ErikV

Default Re: The 1st National Sports Collectors Convention

Leon,

By displaying this piece you brought back a very fond memory for me. I attended
that show. I distinctly recall going on that Sunday, August 31, 1980. At the time I
was 12 years old. I attended the show with my brother and an older friend of ours
who drove us there.

Mostly what I remember was the assortment of memoribilia on display at the
various booths. There was one other thing I remember about that show too. My
brother and I split up and later met in front of one particular booth. It was the booth
of an older fellow by the name of Kovak. That old man was a grouch! He chased us
both off, something about not having lots of room for people to view his things if we
were loitering there. That show was 35+ years ago, I have no idea whatever happened
to that guy...

Anyways, thanks for posting this piece.

ErikV
Old 02-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Ken McMillan

Neing a Californian, i wish they would hav another national here. The Chicago, cleveland, east coast with ignorning West Coast collectors is sad. Going to at
Atlantic City would be fun but from what I hear, watch yourself outside the venue as it is not safe. Socal would ne an awesome place for a National
Old 02-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Ruben

Wish we would get a National back here in CA again
Old 02-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post
Wish we would get a National back here in CA again
Definitely
Old 02-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Justin

Does anyone have pictures from the 1980 show? I would love to see some if they're out there.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 02-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Joe

Wow, that's awesome! Pretty sure I am going this year. 90/10

Last edited by curch; 02-04-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:55 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
Does anyone have pictures from the 1980 show? I would love to see some if they're out there.
Hobby publications would have had plenty of pictures, since they always had pictures from the major shows in those days. I know I have Sports Collectors' Digest from that time, but I think the box with the 1980 issues is buried and not easily accessible. I may have the relevant issue of Sports Collectors News, which also had lots of show pictures, but I would have to look. I know I have the October 1980 Trader Speaks, which might have pictures from the show, but they weren't as much into that sort of thing -- I'll have to check tonight.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Hobby publications would have had plenty of pictures, since they always had pictures from the major shows in those days. I know I have Sports Collectors' Digest from that time, but I think the box with the 1980 issues is buried and not easily accessible. I may have the relevant issue of Sports Collectors News, which also had lots of show pictures, but I would have to look. I know I have the October 1980 Trader Speaks, which might have pictures from the show, but they weren't as much into that sort of thing -- I'll have to check tonight.

I just flipped through the Oct '80 Trader Speaks. No pics there. No worries, thanks!

Old 02-04-2016, 03:53 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Where's the National this year?

Now that I'm healthy again (relatively speaking), it is something I can finally consider.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-04-2016, 04:04 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
I just flipped through the Oct '80 Trader Speaks. No pics there. No worries, thanks!
That was kind of a long shot anyway. I'll still check tonight and see what I can find that's more immediately accessible than SCD.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:36 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Where's the National this year?

Atlantic City

http://nsccshow.com/

Old 02-06-2016, 12:29 AM
Murr the Blurr

I made the trip from northern Alberta to L.A. to attend the first National and was very pleasantly surprised -- not only by the variety of cards and memorabilia, but by the courtesy and camaraderie. I was by myself, and it was my first trip to California, but the atmosphere couldn't have been friendlier. My first purchase was $200 for 50 different WFL and WHA media guides -- including Gretzky's debut appearance with the Indianapolis Racers (1978-79). I also picked up several Topps and OPC hockey sets, an on-site Ali-Frazier I program and the on-site program for Evel Knievel's attempted jump across the Snake River Canyon in '74. I've only attended the Anaheim shows since, but keep my fingers crossed that the National will come west again, sooner rather than later. I've always thought Seattle would be a great city for it.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:06 AM

Default Leon!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU ARE NOT GOING??????????????????

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's my first national! I rarely go to anything, but this is it for me! my T206 printer's scrap collection("the circus") will be on display! I want you to see them first hand....I'm dying to meet you and the rest of the crew!

PLEASE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: )

I WILL BEG!

we are all very excited to meet.......AC is very cool, you will love it!! I promise.....

it's in my neighborhood( 1 hour away from home)......it's like Disney for adults

please please please go!!! I want to attent your dinner for the first time and meet you
Old 02-06-2016, 06:03 AM

Default Anyone else notice . . . .

Anyone else notice on the workshop listing that one session discussed card restoration techniques? I found that a little odd.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Seeing the recent Mastro interview got me nostalgic...

Old 09-16-2021, 08:37 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I went to the Anaheim show in '74, and I believe it was advertised as the "West Coast" show. I still have a badge from it lying around somewhere. Two years later, I attended a show in Michigan I distinctly remember being called a "national show." I believe it was in Plymouth. I'll never forget walking up to the first booth and rifling through a shoebox of 1953 Bowman Hall of Famers in Ex-Mt. There were a stack of Mantles about two inches thick, and they were $11 each. If only I had a time machine ...
Yes, the Michigan shows were great. Thanks

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-16-2021, 09:08 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

Bring the National back to Anaheim, its been too long. We will bring the numbers (attendance) and with that we will bring the $$,
Old 09-16-2021, 09:26 PM
David M.

They've already decided we don't get to have it anymore. I think someone is just going to have to develop their own left coast national. I guess we can get all the dealers west of the Mississippi.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:57 PM
Tim Odeen

Biggest card show I've ever attended was Seattle's All Star Fanfest in 2001. Didn't even attend the games. News leaked it will return to Seattle in 2023. I'm already planning to attend. It will be awesome! I'd have to seriously consider not attending a Socal show, especially in San Diego. I could totally convince my wife to go with me if it was in San Diego.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 09-16-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:26 PM
J@$0N C@RTER

The Mantles on the board in the "who is responsible for this mess"!!! It doesn't look like a poster and I hope they were not permanently affixed.

Also the "0- dealer" on the quiz is pretty hilarious!
Old 09-17-2021, 06:11 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Atlantic City

http://nsccshow.com/
Looking forward to it.

Would be my first Nationals.

I better start saving

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-17-2021, 09:56 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Biggest card show I've ever attended was Seattle's All Star Fanfest in 2001. Didn't even attend the games. News leaked it will return to Seattle in 2023. I'm already planning to attend. It will be awesome! I'd have to seriously consider not attending a Socal show, especially in San Diego. I could totally convince my wife to go with me if it was in San Diego.

Tim, wasn't the 2001 Seattle organized and run by Dennis Purdy who was certainly a strong voice against hobby corruption and dishonest dealers. I recall the lacerations he inflicted on Alan Hager in his mag, VCBC, which were certainly warranted.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
They've already decided we don't get to have it anymore. I think someone is just going to have to develop their own left coast national. I guess we can get all the dealers west of the Mississippi.
Who is the almighty "they" and maybe we need a new group of "them."
Old 09-17-2021, 02:45 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
Who is the almighty "they" and maybe we need a new group of "them."
"They" are the NSCC (National Sports Collectors Convention) board. A cursory look on the internet didn't turn up the names. I'm sure many people here know a lot more about the decision making of the NSCC than I do. In an interview from 2012 "they" were identified as Mike Berkus, together with his partner John Broggi. But I have no idea who the board is in 2021 and how they make the decision of where to hold the convention. I'd just like to see one on the west coast again someday.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:54 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Tim, wasn't the 2001 Seattle organized and run by Dennis Purdy who was certainly a strong voice against hobby corruption and dishonest dealers. I recall the lacerations he inflicted on Alan Hager in his mag, VCBC, which were certainly warranted.
I was only 15 in 2001 and certainly knew nothing about hobby history. I learn new stories and names on Net54 every day. This year means I've been collecting for 30 years!

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-18-2021, 10:51 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Looks like the closest we'll get to a "large" card show near SoCal is the show associated with the Industry Summit in Las Vegas. Looks like it will be 200 plus (with a goal of 400 plus) tables every year, which will be cool. They just had it last week I believe.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete

Last edited by mr2686; 09-18-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
"They" are the NSCC (National Sports Collectors Convention) board.
I know who "they" are. And I assume "they" have decided that there won't be a West Coast National for purely financial (for them) reasons. But I also wonder if the major East Coast dealers had a say in the matter - like "I won't attend a West Coast show"?

mr2686 "Looks like the closest we'll get to a "large" card show near SoCal is the show associated with the Industry Summit in Las Vegas. Looks like it will be 200 plus (with a goal of 400 plus) tables every year, which will be cool. They just had it last week I believe."

That would be a possibility, but frankly, I had to look up the show now that you mentioned it. I know I'm no longer in the mainstream of collecting, but I would think for it to compete with a "national" show, one would start with better advertising.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:12 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
mr2686 "Looks like the closest we'll get to a "large" card show near SoCal is the show associated with the Industry Summit in Las Vegas. Looks like it will be 200 plus (with a goal of 400 plus) tables every year, which will be cool. They just had it last week I believe."

That would be a possibility, but frankly, I had to look up the show now that you mentioned it. I know I'm no longer in the mainstream of collecting, but I would think for it to compete with a "national" show, one would start with better advertising.
Agreed. I had not heard of it either until a couple of weeks ago from someone attending the Industry Summit. I'm assuming it's fairly new (the card show portion) so maybe they will advertise more in the future. Vegas would be a great place to go to a card show, sit by the pool, gamble a little and maybe even see a Raider game (if it's that time of year).
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 09-21-2021, 09:28 AM
Fred

Fort Washington shows!

It would be nice if they did the National on the west coast at least once a decade.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:05 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddux31 View Post
Also the "0- dealer" on the quiz is pretty hilarious!
I got 1 (the 1934 Goudey). Guess I’d better take up philately!
Old 09-21-2021, 10:10 AM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Yes, the Michigan shows were great. Thanks
Michigan used to have great shows run by Jim and Mark Hawkins...They were/are not the greatest of humans however unfortunately.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:43 AM
Art Martineau

Default The 1st National Sports Collectors Convention

Great memories! I was there on Saturday and purchased a T206 Ty Cobb, red portrait, from Lew Lipset. His price was $100.00 and I was happy to pay it. Still have the card too! Stopped at Hollywood Park for Western Harness racing on the way home and won $100.00 so the Ty Cobb was basically "free". Thanks for posting Leon!