NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-15-2022, 03:42 PM
Jim McKinley

Default PSA & the Impact to Set Collectors

Curious if other set collectors have seen this...

I am putting together a PSA graded 1953 Bowman Color set. I have a complete set but am looking to upgrade certain cards. I have noticed the number of PSA graded 7's and 8's at the various auction outlets (eBay and others) has dropped dramatically over the past year.

It seems every couple of weeks there would be a set break or a large group of high-grade Bowmans come up for auction. Now, not so much. Are any of you all seeing the same?

I have seen some folks speculating that higher PSA prices would hurt set collectors. Are we already seeing this in the market?
Old 07-16-2022, 11:16 AM
Al Stein

That's funny. Every comment I've read on here says buy Ruth and Cobb, they are going to go up forever and nobody wants common crap.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2022, 11:39 AM
Chase

Over the pandemic I saw prices start to drop on commons and minor stars in 7s and 8s. Low pop commons still were selling for ridiculous prices. I figured money was moving to the stars, which it did.

What also happened is that PSA stopped grading bulk for most people when they suspended so many grading tiers. In speaking with a few guys who were doing sets they said they were refraining from moving forward with their sets because the supply of graded commons had been choked. Not sure if that is the predominant sentiment which has lead to the lower prices and fewer cards over the last year.

Last edited by Lorewalker; 07-16-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-19-2022, 02:48 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I can't imagine how anyone could disagree that PSA set collecting is currently DOA in modern and post-war is losing steam now incredibly rapidly.

The higher costs have absolutely killed supply and caused innumerable set collectors to hang it up due to grading costs. You have to look at the financials of trying, on most modern commons anything less than a 10 will net you an automatic huge loss. Unless you have some sort of guaranteed scam to get 75% 10's or more you will lose your shirt.

So yes, it has made a huge difference and I would think that common sense would tell PSA that their set registry cash cow will crash and burn as a collector driver if they cannot return that part of the base.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 07-19-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:39 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I can't imagine how anyone could disagree that PSA set collecting is currently DOA in modern and post-war is losing steam now incredibly rapidly.
The 1965 Topps PSA 8 set break last evening via GM cards certainly didn't appear to lose any steam. I need 235 cards to finish the set. I bid on all 235 cards I still need. Every card I bid on, I bid between 10-15% over APR. I won just over a third of my bids. Half of my wins finished less than APR, while the other half were within that 10-15% over APR range. My wins came out 2% below the APR all totaled. Obviously, I can only speak to the cards I needed.

Maybe it is just the 65s, but that was one of my smallest hauls on a PSA set break ever. IMO, post-war is not losing any steam as that basically straight PSA 8 set broke at nearly $46,000.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:15 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Grading card submission costs are rapidly decreasing back to a reasonable price. So this may be short-lived, or the flippers may have finally left the game. But if that were the case, they'd likely be selling their cards to get out.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.