NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-23-2021, 01:43 PM
Michael

Default HOF chances post 2022

I have cards (signed) of the following guys and I only really collect HOFers. Do you think and of these folks have a serious chance at some point or should I sell them
Charlie Grimm
Marty Marion
Billy Martin
Vada Pinson
Mickey Vernon
Bucky Walters
Bill White
Joe Wood
Thanks for your upcoming opinions
Old 11-23-2021, 01:56 PM
Dave Foster

Sell.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:57 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
I have cards (signed) of the following guys and I only really collect HOFers. Do you think and of these folks have a serious chance at some point or should I sell them
Charlie Grimm
Marty Marion
Billy Martin
Vada Pinson
Mickey Vernon
Bucky Walters
Bill White
Joe Wood
Thanks for your upcoming opinions
There are some interesting names on the list but sadly I do not believe any will make the HOF

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-23-2021, 02:01 PM
J@mes In.gram

I would personally be happy with any of those guys going in, and I would think any of them might get a nod. Some are WAY overdue. I would add Cecil Travis and most especially, at the top of the list, Gil Hodges, as a way for the HOF to regain credibility and relevance. We've had lengthy threads extolling the virtues of guys not in, so that is not my point in replying. Just expressing my humble opinion.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-23-2021, 02:04 PM
Michael

One thing to consider is how long you would need to wait on the chance that one of these people might get in later. The Early Baseball Committee (pre-1950) will not meet again for 10 (!) years. The Golden Days Committee (1950-1969) will not meet again until 12/2026.

All this could change of course, but as of now most of our favorite pre-War candidates have very little chance of even making the ballot, let alone being elected, let alone being elected soon.

Full details here https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-fam...ras-committees
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 11-23-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:15 PM
Michael

Adding that of the people mentioned on the thread so far, Gil Hodges is the only one on the current ballot https://baseballhall.org/news/era-co...-consideration
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:30 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Some of these players deserve consideration , and in fact I believe most of them have appeared as finalists in past elections on the old veterans ballot prior to this recent change in voting categories and voting years . In truth however worthy we feel they may be for election I don't believe they will be elected anytime soon , or possibly in our lifetime if you're over forty
Old 11-23-2021, 04:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Leaving out whether I think these players should be hall of famers, I don't think any of them will be making it in the foreseeable future at all. Few of them will even appear on a ballot to be considered in the next ~15 years I think.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:16 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

None of them will sadly IMO, but Pinson should be in hands down... almost reached 3,000 hits when it actually meant something and AS appearances seem to be not so important anymore.

Also, like others have said, it's a travesty that Gil Hodges isn't in. I also add Roger Maris, Dale Murphy, and Garvey to the list. Seems to me it the hall should live up to its name as a Hall of "Fame". If you were without question the best player for multiple years (back to back MVPs seem to qualify) and were a household name you should be in period. I couldn't care less of Rogers Bresnahan being in or not because he invented shin guards but apparently it's okay to go beyond stats to admit old timers like that because they were famous. Also, the Hall is a laughing stock now that Baines and Morris are in. Also, and I'll be in the minority here and pretty much everywhere else, let all the roids guys in!
Old 11-23-2021, 04:17 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I'm still pulling for the three Cubans: Minoso, Tiant and Oliva

IMO, They SHOULD go in before anyone else.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-23-2021, 05:09 PM
Ron Rice

Default Sell

I don't think any of those 8 will make the HOF. There are many other good players that fall a bit short like these guys.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:09 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

I think Vada Pinson will make HOF some day and maybe Smokey Joe ?
Old 11-23-2021, 06:16 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I don't see it with anyone on that list. They were good players, but their candidacies are about ten cents short of a dollar.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
I don't think any of those 8 will make the HOF. There are many other good players that fall a bit short like these guys.
Agreed. I know they are divided into a few groups by when they played, but the list is long.
Hodges
Dick Allen
Minoso
Oliva
Tiant
Kaat
Tommy John
Munson
Boyer
Dwight Evans
probably more I am forgetting

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-23-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:20 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

Clydepepper great point

Yes on Tony Oliva and Luis Tiant
Old 11-23-2021, 06:56 PM
Fred

Sorry, just have to say this... "Squirrel"

OP was asking about whether or not to keep/sell signatures because the players may not be making the HOF.

The thread has shifted a little to "who" should make it to the HOF. Lots of good names being mentioned. I saw the Cubans (Tiant, Minoso and Oliva) and I gotta say I like them all. I still remember watching Tiant pitch (on TV) during the '75 series and I can remember how fun it was to watch him that October.

There are lots of deserving players when you consider who's already in the HOF and compare the careers of some of those marginal (OK, I'll just say it - probably not so deserving) players to some that aren't enshrined.

Now back to the OPs original question -

My first thoguht is - "why" did you obtain the signatures? If it's because you liked the players, then I'd keep the signatures. It's a pretty neat list. I like Billy Martin the most (not because of HOF potential) but because of his "colorful" character in the sport. Love that 1972Topps card.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:45 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Sorry, just have to say this... "Squirrel"

OP was asking about whether or not to keep/sell signatures because the players may not be making the HOF.

The thread has shifted a little to "who" should make it to the HOF. Lots of good names being mentioned. I saw the Cubans (Tiant, Minoso and Oliva) and I gotta say I like them all. I still remember watching Tiant pitch (on TV) during the '75 series and I can remember how fun it was to watch him that October.

There are lots of deserving players when you consider who's already in the HOF and compare the careers of some of those marginal (OK, I'll just say it - probably not so deserving) players to some that aren't enshrined.

Now back to the OPs original question -

My first thoguht is - "why" did you obtain the signatures? If it's because you liked the players, then I'd keep the signatures. It's a pretty neat list. I like Billy Martin the most (not because of HOF potential) but because of his "colorful" character in the sport. Love that 1972Topps card.
To answer Fred for awhile I was a set collector- all signed cards 1948-69. The collection got too big and I wanted to narrow it down so I changed to HOFers and I wanted to keep potential HOFers too so I wouldn't have to rebuy someone I previously had. So that is the parameters of the collection. I also collect the 1960-61 Fleer sets and the 1960-1 Nucard and a few other items
I appreciate everyones comments and hope they are more
Old 11-23-2021, 09:53 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

I think Pinson is very underrated, but I don’t see him or any of the others on the OP’s list making the HOF.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:17 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
To answer Fred for awhile I was a set collector- all signed cards 1948-69. The collection got too big and I wanted to narrow it down so I changed to HOFers and I wanted to keep potential HOFers too so I wouldn't have to rebuy someone I previously had. So that is the parameters of the collection. I also collect the 1960-61 Fleer sets and the 1960-1 Nucard and a few other items
I appreciate everyones comments and hope they are more
A little background is nice. To me it's fun to understand why hobbyists have shifted collecting paths. My collecting objectives have changed a few times through the decades but I have a difficult time clearing out the closet. I always tell myself "one of these days". I think I've given away more stuff than I've sold.

I tend to agree with the posters that have included other players that are arguably more deserving for HOF enshrinement than the list of players that were provided in the initiating post.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:25 PM
J@mes In.gram

I don't think the HOF matters to anyone I know, other than those who have visited, who say the memorabilia and just the Cooperstown and upstate New York setting is astounding. In fact, after some of the recent admissions and continued oversights/slights, I have had multiple friends, relatives and co-workers, who know my interest in and passion for old-time baseball, tell me they think the HOF has little to no relevance or even credibility anymore. And that to me is sad. Similar comments concerning the Rock & Roll HOF. However, the NFL HOF in Canton is altogether different. My two sisters and a fellow I work with and his family both visited shortly before Covid and said I need to go.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-24-2021, 08:31 PM
Ti.m O'Don.ovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
None of them will sadly IMO, but Pinson should be in hands down... almost reached 3,000 hits when it actually meant something and AS appearances seem to be not so important anymore.

Also, like others have said, it's a travesty that Gil Hodges isn't in. I also add Roger Maris, Dale Murphy, and Garvey to the list. Seems to me it the hall should live up to its name as a Hall of "Fame". If you were without question the best player for multiple years (back to back MVPs seem to qualify) and were a household name you should be in period. I couldn't care less of Rogers Bresnahan being in or not because he invented shin guards but apparently it's okay to go beyond stats to admit old timers like that because they were famous. Also, the Hall is a laughing stock now that Baines and Morris are in. Also, and I'll be in the minority here and pretty much everywhere else, let all the roids guys in!
Keith Hernandez is a sleeper to get in.