NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-06-2023, 03:57 PM
Clint

Finally got this pin. Used to see them every so often but once I decided I wanted one they disappeared. So one pops up on eBay and I bid way too much and still lose. Right after another pops up and I was able to snag it for a much better price. Probably still too much but I’m happy with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61B556A9-60B6-493F-A0C7-23D4DDB65074-min.jpg (202.2 KB, 365 views)
Old 02-08-2023, 07:52 AM
Bill H@e1ig

congrats Clint!

Pin looks great
Old 02-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Clint

Thanks Bill!
Old 02-09-2023, 01:42 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Finally got this pin. Used to see them every so often but once I decided I wanted one they disappeared. So one pops up on eBay and I bid way too much and still lose. Right after another pops up and I was able to snag it for a much better price. Probably still too much but I’m happy with it.
Oh, I really like that. Looks great!
Old 02-09-2023, 05:59 AM
Bill H@e1ig

For full disclosure purposes this isn't mine, but a collector friend owns this & posted it on-line elsewhere.

It's a Burger Chef in store poster from 1977 (American League version) promoting their "Triple Play Funmeal" and showing all the player discs in the set.

I've never seen one before & thought it would be neat to share (Orioles are on the bottom row):

Old 02-10-2023, 09:51 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
For full disclosure purposes this isn't mine, but a collector friend owns this & posted it on-line elsewhere.

It's a Burger Chef in store poster from 1977 (American League version) promoting their "Triple Play Funmeal" and showing all the player discs in the set.

I've never seen one before & thought it would be neat to share (Orioles are on the bottom row):

Bill,

I’ve seen the ‘77 advertising poster before, but never owned one. I have the bottom section of the poster, that someone along the line, cut out of the Orioles portion. I also have just a square cutout of Brooks that again someone cut from the poster.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 02-11-2023 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:36 AM
Bill H@e1ig

With the Super Bowl now completed & with Patrick Mahomes earning MVP honors, I thought I'd share one of my favorite Cal Ripken Jr. items:

Back in 1994 as Cal Ripken was approaching his 2000th consecutive games (which would make him only the 2nd player in MLB history to do so), I wrote a letter to Tom Mee who was the Official Scorer of the Minnesota Twins and asked him if he could please send me the Press Box Notes from the game.

Not only did he send me the notes BUT he also included his original scoresheet from the game (which I was thrilled to receive).

The starting pitcher for the Twins that night was one Pat Mahomes, who pitched a strong eight innings in a losing cause...

I later professionally matted/framed the score sheets with an original picture from the Minneapolis Star Review, a signed game ticket & an original AP teletype of the event:

Old 02-14-2023, 08:41 AM
Alan Strout

Bill,

Really cool piece. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:03 AM
Clint

That’s awesome Bill!
Old 02-14-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Bill,

I’ve seen the ‘77 advertising poster before, but never owned one. I have the bottom section of the poster, that someone along the line, cut out of the Orioles portion. I also have just a square cutout of Brooks that again someone cut from the poster.

That is indeed impressive. I'd love to get a National League one.

I do have some cut outs of St. Louis Cardinal players somewhere, but an entire sheet is something I have never seen.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:05 AM
M@rk Comer

Bill,

That is so cool and you’ve made it into such a great display piece. Thanks for sharing the background as well in that it makes it even more interesting. Just an awesome collection you have.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:38 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Bill,

That is so cool and you’ve made it into such a great display piece. Thanks for sharing the background as well in that it makes it even more interesting. Just an awesome collection you have.
Thanks guys....

I agree that often the story behind how things are acquired makes them better...

Cal did have a lot of success at the Metrodome and personally being there six years later to see him get his 3000th hit will always be a core memory (especially since there were no guarantees he was going to get the hits necessary)...

I know I've posted these probably back in 2020 sometime, but here are a couple neat Metrodome pieces I own...

During a trip to the HOF one year I saw this in their gift shop & had the idea of getting it signed:

A few years back a good buddy of mine got this Metrodome seat back for me (of course seat #8) & I then had it signed similarly:

Old 02-17-2023, 03:23 PM
Mike Magee

Default Orioles Japanese Magazines

Good afternoon,

I was recently able to pick up a few more Japanese magazines with Orioles on the cover. Four with Cal and one is with Jim Palmer.

1997 Nippon Sports Mook with Cal.jpg

1983 Major League Review with Cal.jpg

1985 Major League Preview with Cal.jpg

2001 Major League Yearbook with Cal.jpg

1979 The All Star Game with Jim Palmer.jpg
Old 02-18-2023, 10:30 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
I was recently able to pick up a few more Japanese magazines with Orioles on the cover. Four with Cal and one is with Jim Palmer.
Mike...great Japanese magazines (I don't believe I've seen that '85 issue before).

Circling back to Cal Jr. and the Metrodome, here is the Twins dugout lineup card (signed/inscribed) from Cal's 3000th career hit in 2000. Not only was it a significant game in his career, but it holds a lot of personal memories for me as well (since I was there).

In April when most of my buddies were planning golf trips to Hilton Head and the like, I was planning a trip to Minneapolis on the CHANCE that I'd see Cal get the milestone hit (going into the series, he was four hits shy).

Friday night he got a hit and for the Saturday night game he needed three hits because unbeknownst to me, he wasn't playing Sunday b/c the Orioles would have preferred he got it at home (which due to a work commitment I would be unable to attend).

Anyways, the baseball gods must have been looking down at me since after making an out in his first AB, he got the three hits he needed in the next three AB's:

Old 02-18-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Mike...great Japanese magazines (I don't believe I've seen that '85 issue before).

Circling back to Cal Jr. and the Metrodome, here is the Twins dugout lineup card (signed/inscribed) from Cal's 3000th career hit in 2000. Not only was it a significant game in his career, but it holds a lot of personal memories for me as well (since I was there).

In April when most of my buddies were planning golf trips to Hilton Head and the like, I was planning a trip to Minneapolis on the CHANCE that I'd see Cal get the milestone hit (going into the series, he was four hits shy).

Friday night he got a hit and for the Saturday night game he needed three hits because unbeknownst to me, he wasn't playing Sunday b/c the Orioles would have preferred he got it at home (which due to a work commitment I would be unable to attend).

Anyways, the baseball gods must have been looking down at me since after making an out in his first AB, he got the three hits he needed in the next three AB's:

Very cool. My Mom picked up a few lineup cards for me about 20 years ago. (Yes, my parents used to go to card shows to look for Puckett stuff while I was out in Philly.)

The lineup cards have been tucked away, but yours looked very familiar so I had to pull mine out. The first is from 4/29/1993 and is also the Orioles vs Twins. The lineup form is exactly the same as your 2000 version, so I think what I have is authentic. Unfortunately I do not have any HOF signatures on mine!

The game featured Mike Mussina vs Pat Mahomes, with Mussina dominating in an 11-0 complete game shutout in Baltimore, giving up only five hits. Puckett, Winfield, Ripken, Baines and Mussina were the HOF participants.

Strangely, the other lineup card I have is a week later when the Orioles were playing the Twins again on 5/5/1993 at the Metrodome This time Mussina pitched a complete game shutout to beat the Twins 3-0 with Willie Banks taking the loss. The Twins could only muster two hits.

These should probably get into the hands of a Mussina collector.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:39 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Albie Pearson who played with the Orioles in 1959-1960 sadly passed away the other day at the age of 88

Old 02-25-2023, 11:54 AM
Ian H@ll

I found this old Coke bottle with the case, commemorating Ripken breaking Gehrig's record in 1995. I've had it since new. My dad probably bought 5 of them and gave them away to random friends. It would look cool in a Ripken or Orioles display and just doesn't fit the current state of my collection.

If anyone wants it, and wants to pay shipping, it's yours. For reference, they can be had on eBay for $5-15.

Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 02-28-2023, 04:21 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Dave Nicholson, an outfielder with the Orioles in 1960 & 1962 (151 total games) unfortunately passed away over this past weekend at the age of 83:

Old 03-05-2023, 08:44 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I recently picked this oversized Aramark company magazine from October 1995, recapping their participation in Cal Ripken Jr. breaking the consecutive game record the month prior (I had never known of it's existence prior).

Article inside noted they had their best one day sales ever in the company's history on September 6th ($1.7M).

Old 03-05-2023, 01:47 PM
Mike Magee

Quote:
I recently picked this oversized Aramark company magazine from October 1995, recapping their participation in Cal Ripken Jr. breaking the consecutive game record the month prior (I had never known of it's existence prior).

Article inside noted they had their best one day sales ever in the company's history on September 6th ($1.7M).

Great magazine Bill, I never knew it existed either. Another one to add to my list.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:09 PM
Alan Strout

Great night of Orioles spring training baseball in Sarasota. Even though it rained a bit and the game ended in a 5-5 tie, I saw a few Orioles icons at the game. Had a chance to shake hands and quickly chat with Mike Devereaux. Eddie Murray was there signing a few autographs for kids.

However, the highlight of the night was finally meeting in person, collecting legend Bill Haelig and his wife, Cindy. I was even able to add an item to his incredible Cal Ripken collection. So much fun. Thanks Bill.

Already looking forward to spending future spring training games talking Orioles.

If you're ever at an O's spring training game at Ed Smith Stadium, don't hesitate to stop by section 106 and say hi. I love meeting new Orioles friends.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:40 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post

However, the highlight of the night was finally meeting in person, collecting legend Bill Haelig and his wife, Cindy. I was even able to add an item to his incredible Cal Ripken collection. So much fun. Thanks Bill.

Already looking forward to spending future spring training games talking Orioles.

If you're ever at an O's spring training game at Ed Smith Stadium, don't hesitate to stop by section 106 and say hi. I love meeting new Orioles friends.
Alan:

It was a real pleasure to (finally) meet up with you & your wife as well. I appreciated the time we spent talking as well as for the addition to my collection and as I mentioned before, next time we'll have to plan better so I could see more of your fantastic collection (and I promise not to let your dog out accidently!).

Just picked up this 1970's Rochester Red Wings game used jersey. The seller for years thought it was worn by Cal Jr., but when he recently (to his dismay) found out that it wasn't, he made it available (appears to have been worn by Jim Fuller & possibly others):

Old 03-16-2023, 07:15 PM
Clint

Great jersey Bill! Is that Kiko Garcia next to fuller?
Old 03-18-2023, 04:30 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėăšę

Picked up this 1971 tour of Japan Magazine with Brooks and Shigeo Nagashima, straight from japan. Really rare beautiful piece, in superb condition. I have it available in the memorabilia bst if anyone is interested!

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 03-25-2023, 10:17 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Was going through my game used Orioles hat collection earlier today and ran across a few I forgot I owned....

With Opening Day less than a week away here are a couple OD hats from 2004 (BJ Ryan & a signed Jorge Julio):

Totally forgot about this c1998 Harold Baines signed game worn hat with family member's names written under the bill:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-25-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:13 PM
Clint

Just got this wire photo. What a starting rotation!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C2086DBB-2D61-41C0-9768-80A9ED758AB0-min.jpg (199.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 03-28-2023, 05:47 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Just got this wire photo. What a starting rotation!
Clint:

Yes it was! Great Photo...

Coincidently, I recently picked up this one:

Old 03-28-2023, 03:56 PM
Clint

That’s a sweet photo Bill, love the bullpen cart. We should trade photos every year🤣.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:47 PM

Default 4 x 20 Game Winners

Great pic with the bullpen car. Saw a program recently signed by the four. I picked up an over sized picture signed by them. Have a ball and smaller picture signed by them. Love the two wire photos. What a pitching rotation! Amazing.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:11 AM

I came across that picture many, many years ago on ebay, and loved it so much it inspired me to write this post on that incredible season, and how I wished with all those 20 game winners they could have won just one more game, and how that may have changed how those early 70's Orioles would be remembered today:

https://fleersticker.blogspot.com/20...and-words.html
Old 03-31-2023, 06:02 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleerfan View Post
I came across that picture many, many years ago on ebay, and loved it so much it inspired me to write this post on that incredible season, and how I wished with all those 20 game winners they could have won just one more game, and how that may have changed how those early 70's Orioles would be remembered today:

https://fleersticker.blogspot.com/20...and-words.html
I recall enjoying that article at the time (well worth reading again)....In '71 the Orioles used 13 pitchers all season (for comparison sake, yesterday they used six!).

Another interesting tid bit is that Dobson surrendered Eddie Murray's first career HR in '77 (while with Cleveland).

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-31-2023 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:26 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Speaking of Eddie, I saw this picture on eBay this morning dated 1976. Can anyone spot what's unique about it?

Old 04-01-2023, 09:31 AM
Clint

Uniform number.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėăšę

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15548766656...mis&media=COPY

Cool photo of Brooks I saw on ebay. Shows their 1963 Home Uniform used only for a year.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 04-07-2023, 03:07 AM
M@rk Comer

I personally really liked the “B” on the hat and the block letter jerseys. I think they should still use them for an alternative, but not the norm. I’m a fan of “all” the combos since the inception in ‘54.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:30 PM
Mike Magee

Default RIP Hobie Landrith

Hi everyone,

Mr. Landrith passed at 93. Not only did he sign a card for me but he stated that Robin Roberts was by far his favorite pitcher to catch.

20230408_182008.jpg
Old 04-08-2023, 06:50 PM
Clint

Finally got my Brooks poster framed up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78C817FB-76D6-4806-96CD-DCA9E38AA4CE-min 2.jpg (176.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-08-2023, 07:25 PM

Default Oriole Memorial Stadium Row Marker

Does anyone else collect Memorial Stadium Row Markers? I have a few but missing the big one (#5). These make very nice displays. If anyone wants to sell or trade #5 keep me in mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D62B94F6-507E-4AA8-92D2-3906E0256C53.jpg (97.6 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-08-2023, 07:48 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Hi everyone,

Mr. Landrith passed at 93. Not only did he sign a card for me but he stated that Robin Roberts was by far his favorite pitcher to catch.
Thanks Mike...Hobie is probably best known for being the first player the Mets chose in the expansion draft prior to the '62 season & was then traded straight up to Baltimore in June of that season for Marv Throneberry.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:40 AM
M@rk Comer

Default 1968 si

Quote:
Finally got my Brooks poster framed up.
Is that the same poster? If so it looks so much better with I assume foam core and framing. Now, let’s see how you have it displayed.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:41 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Does anyone else collect Memorial Stadium Row Markers? I have a few but missing the big one (#5). These make very nice displays. If anyone wants to sell or trade #5 keep me in mind.
They do really look nice displayed. I don’t really collect them, but would eventually like to pick up the O’s HOF #’s which I would believe to be in higher demand.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:23 AM

Default Does anyone else collect Oriole related megaphones?

Happy Easter. I figured out how to post pictures with my iPhone so folks are in trouble!

Does anyone else collect Oriole related megaphones? Here are a few. My favorite is the white 1966 WS version. I understand there are at least two other colors or versions. The round Oriole one is another favorite from the 1960s. There are corporate sponsored versions out there I believe. The more GM traditional square bottom ones are plentiful but enjoy the one with “Charge!” I also like the more modern plastic Wild Bill Hagey one (I have an extra if someone has something unique to trade). If you have any not show, please share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EF708D43-D559-4601-AECD-3B4836729779.jpg (186.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-09-2023, 07:57 AM
Mike Magee

Default Orioles megaphones

Good morning and Happy Easter too,

Here's one of the corporate sponsored megaphones from Bethlehem Steel night.

20230409_095348.jpg
Old 04-09-2023, 10:05 AM

Default Bethlehem Steele Horn

Thanks for sharing…that is a beauty!
Old 04-09-2023, 10:58 AM
Clint

Quote:
Is that the same poster? If so it looks so much better with I assume foam core and framing. Now, let’s see how you have it displayed.
Yep the same poster and you are correct a foam core. I haven’t got it up yet but will soon and I’ll post a pic when I do.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:44 AM

Default 1969 Nabisco Team Flakes

Does anyone else enjoy the Nabisco Team Flakes Set from 1969? 24 cards. They were found on the box of cereal with 8 players. There were 3 different panels. I have the Complete set graded along with all 3 complete panels. I am fortunate to have two complete panels with Brooks. I also have 13 two player panels graded to include the one here with Brooks. Would love to find the others one with Marichal. Here, you see a single, two player panel, and a complete panel with Brooks. Recently sent a thick border Brooks off to PSA for grading. Lots of options with this simple 24 player hand cut set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8B311F0A-782C-4F7F-96AF-80A786A1D17B.jpg (185.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-11-2023, 06:04 PM

Default Brooks Hand Cut Newspaper Cards (Baltimore News Post and Dayton Daily News

Evening. Below are some of my favorite items that feature Brooks. Very rare. I collect the Orioles Sets for the 1960 - 1963 Baltimore News Post (BNP) hand cut newspaper cards. Hit a tough spot trying to find a few I am missing. I am Missing 1960 #49 Courtney and four in 1962 (Cosgrove, Williams, Hall and Ward). Below are the 1960, 61,62, and 63 Brooks BNP. Not in perfect shape but I am ecstatic to have found these. I have quite a few doubles if anyone has what I am missing. Also featured is the 1970 Dayton Daily News hand cut card. This is another impossible “card” to find. I was lucky to get this graded and added to the PSA Master. For whatever reason, they will not add the BNP to the PSA Brooks Master set, nor grade em. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40130737-731E-4CAC-B143-5F3184F02C6C.jpg (204.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-11-2023, 06:57 PM
Rich

Default Nabisco

I have always loved this set Charlie! My dad and I bought my first two - Franks and Brooks at a show in Baltimore in 1981. I have since completed the set.
Cool cards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Does anyone else enjoy the Nabisco Team Flakes Set from 1969? 24 cards. They were found on the box of cereal with 8 players. There were 3 different panels. I have the Complete set graded along with all 3 complete panels. I am fortunate to have two complete panels with Brooks. I also have 13 two player panels graded to include the one here with Brooks. Would love to find the others one with Marichal. Here, you see a single, two player panel, and a complete panel with Brooks. Recently sent a thick border Brooks off to PSA for grading. Lots of options with this simple 24 player hand cut set.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:35 AM
Bill H@e1ig

lot a great contributions to this thread lately, keep it up!

I sent this wire photo & neat original 1961 photograph to Jackie Brandt to be signed & they came back last week:

Old 04-12-2023, 10:03 PM

Default Cool wire photo

Thanks for sharing