NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Default OT: Read any good books lately?

Well its that time of year again when my extended family wonder what to get me for Christmas. For the last few years I have asked on Net54 for any book suggestions. I always get some insight and pass the list along and inevitably end up with a good supply of baseball reading for the next year.

Instead of listing what I already have I will just leave it open for any and all suggestions as this might help benefit other reader on the boards as well. I'll add in a good list in a future post of what I have read and liked once we get this thread rolling.

Interests would be anything on vintage card collecting, baseball history but I usually stay away from biographies unless there is one you just have to tell about, also love the growth and expansion era of baseball (1940's through the 1970's) so anything relating to that, Brooklyn Dodgers and so on.

Let me know your thought and please feel free to share as much info to try and spread the love of a good book.

Drew
Old 11-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Operation Bullpen, by Kevin Nelson
http://www.operationbullpen.com/

A few years old now, but a fascinating book. If you read it, you'll never, ever buy a Mickey Mantle autographed anything!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Mike Mattsey

For baseball history, you couldn't go wrong with the following:

Lords of the Realm - John Helyar
Raceball - Rob Ruck
Playing America's Game - Adrian Burgos

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Well its that time of year again when my extended family wonder what to get me for Christmas. For the last few years I have asked on Net54 for any book suggestions. I always get some insight and pass the list along and inevitably end up with a good supply of baseball reading for the next year.

Instead of listing what I already have I will just leave it open for any and all suggestions as this might help benefit other reader on the boards as well. I'll add in a good list in a future post of what I have read and liked once we get this thread rolling.

Interests would be anything on vintage card collecting, baseball history but I usually stay away from biographies unless there is one you just have to tell about, also love the growth and expansion era of baseball (1940's through the 1970's) so anything relating to that, Brooklyn Dodgers and so on.

Let me know your thought and please feel free to share as much info to try and spread the love of a good book.

Drew
Old 11-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Matthew

One of my favorites, "The Last Best League." Great book about young, amateur players trying to get into the big leagues. http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Best-League-Summer/dp/0306814188

If you have yet to read a Ruth biography, I'd strongly recommend one. This one, http://www.amazon.com/Babe-Legend-Co...ruth+biography, doesn't deviate much into anything but his life- no Black Sox, Gehrig, or much else- but no such deviation is really needed; Ruth's entertaining enough.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:16 PM
Matthew

Just bought "Operation Bullpen" on Amazon for Kindle. It should help curb my appetite for going after HOF autographs.

+1 for not spending serious money on any type of sports memorabilia.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:41 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Default Book

I am reading Babe: The Legend Comes to Life by Robert Creamer. About 80%done. An interesting account of his life, the good with the bad. From what I understand this is the most accurate account of his life in print. He was an incredible human being. I would recommend if you would like to learn more about his life.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:17 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Creamer was an amazing writer! I have also read his book on the '41 season. It may be the best book I have ever read. Not only does he detail the '41 season and all its excitement but he also chronicles what is happening simultaneously in the second World War as it approaches and how it effects the U.S. and the players in MLB. Awesome pennant race that year!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Mint Condition: some good down and dirty stuff about cards.

Undisputed Truth: Mike Tyson no holds barred autobiography

Vertical: the sequel to Sideways

A Fighter's Heart: Sam Sheridan's exploration behind the scenes of various pro fighting leagues.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Duane Clark

I am new to the board and this is my first post. I enjoy reading the various posts on this board. I am a Baltimore Orioles and Brooklyn Dodgers fan

My recommendations would be:

1) Gil Hodges The Brooklyn Bums, the Miracle Mets, and the Extraordinary Life of a Baseball Legend.

Great book about a great player but more importantly a great human being.

He should be in the Hall(in my humble opinion) and hopefully he gets there soon.

2) Wait 'til Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

Duane Clark
Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Creamer was an amazing writer! I have also read his book on the '41 season. It may be the best book I have ever read. Not only does he detail the '41 season and all its excitement but he also chronicles what is happening simultaneously in the second World War as it approaches and how it effects the U.S. and the players in MLB. Awesome pennant race that year!
Another plug for "Summer of 41"...read it about a month ago, a great read. Neutralized some of who I thought were hero's, and brought light to some there WERE hero's. Great read, and yes, the fact it simultaneously gave a working history about WW2 was fascinating and how it effected MLB.

I love reading biography's...in the last year I have read Lou Gehrigs, Jackie Robinson, two on the Mick, Bobby Richardson's, and a really fun book written by Rico Petrocelli on the Red Sox of 1967. Great book...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 12-09-2013, 10:31 AM
John Hanssen

Best baseball card book of all times
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.3 KB, 151 views)
Old 07-07-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
I am reading Babe: The Legend Comes to Life by Robert Creamer. About 80%done. An interesting account of his life, the good with the bad. From what I understand this is the most accurate account of his life in print. He was an incredible human being. I would recommend if you would like to learn more about his life.

I agree with you, I think Mr. Creamer's book is the best one about the Babe. In the picture section, did you happen to see Babe standing with his father in the bar? I can't believe how much they look like twins rather than father and son.

Brian B. (southeast Iowa's larges Yankee fan)
Old 07-07-2022, 03:12 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I just finished 'Chasing Moonlight' - it was pretty good - he was an interesting man.

I'm also currently reading 'The Pride of the Yankees' about the making of that movie and 'Roger Maris: Baseball's Reluctant Hero'.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-07-2022, 04:45 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Currently listening to The Baseball 100 on Audible. Pretty interesting personal information mixed with the numbers. It's also something like 30 hours so good bang for the buck. Scott

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2022, 10:38 PM
Mikeknapp

I know you said no biographies but I still have to recommend Cobra. It’s a great unvarnished read.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 07-08-2022, 07:42 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I just finished 'Chasing Moonlight' - it was pretty good - he was an interesting man.

I'm also currently reading 'The Pride of the Yankees' about the making of that movie and 'Roger Maris: Baseball's Reluctant Hero'.

I'm also reading 'Loserville' and 'Team of Rivals' simultaneously with the others...read a chapter in one, then move to the next one. (keeps me from getting bogged down with one)

'Loserville' describes the build up of Atlanta and how luring major league sports teams effected that progression.

'Team of Rivals' is subititled 'The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln' - it is fascinating...amazing parallels to many political issues of today.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-12-2022, 02:28 PM
Jeremy

I'm currently listening (audiobook addict) to 59 in '84 and the Summer of Beer and Whiskey by Edward Achorn.

They are narrated very well and go over Old Hoss Radbourn in 1884 and the St. Louis Browns in 1883 respectively.