NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Michael Allen

Default M101-2 Wagner and Cobb/Wagner Supplements

BMW has two very nice examples of the M101-2 Sporting News Supplements of Wagner and Cobb/Wagner on eBay (Links below). What is a fair price to offer for both? They look like very strong examples and Brian is certain they would grade some of the highest grades every recorded. I wanted everyone's opinion on them. I want to make a fair offer but they are still raw and i don't want to pay prices of what they would be worth IF they got graded high, because who knows what the final grade would be. I'm not an expert on how Beckett would grades supplements. Looking for any feedback.

If it's unprofessional to discuss offer prices and who's selling pieces i apologize just want to hear form members of this forum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390083477877...ht_2373wt_1346

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400068411117...ht_2374wt_1346

Thank you,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M101-2 Wagner.jpg (65.6 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg M101-2 Cobb & Wagner.jpg (55.1 KB, 125 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default technical grades

Do technical grades on these really matter that much? Are there very many registry sets where people are fighting for high technical grade ones? They are really nice looking and would be great pieces to own. I am just not sure how much I would pay for a high technical grade. That being said, maybe I am unaware of some of the minutia of the set.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Leon, when I was breaking up that set, I did have a few people ask me about grading, but none of them bid . Most people don't care.

The way they are currently being slabbed does not do them justice - I think if this has to be done, they need to be put in something more like the PSA/DNA photo slab. But I'm against it, just like with photos.

Regarding the question about pricing, I don't know about the Cobb/Wagner, but I have a Wagner in similar condition to BMW's, and I wouldn't sell it for any less than theirs is being offered (but mine is not for sale). It's a clearer photogravure than the Wagner/Cobb, and it's as classic of a Wagner image as you are going to find.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Michael Allen

Leon,

That's the position i'm in. I'm not eager to pay top dollar for something that doesn't exist yet (A top graded supplement) especially if i can't examine them myself in person. I too am not totally familiar with the details and demand of the set, hence why i was looking for opinions. I love both pieces, and i'll make a reasonable fair offer, i just don't want to get, for a lack of a better phrase, taken advantage of. Not that those are the intentions. Maybe it's better to say i just don't want to heavily overpay.

There was a gentleman not to long ago who uncovered a nice group of supplements and sent them off to Beckett for grading and got back very good, if not the best results ever on some of the pieces; and one being the Cobb/Wagner. He listed them on eBay, I placed a bid, and if i remember correctly it sold around $3,000.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...-perk-up-ebay/

A lot of 25 supplements sold on Robert Edwards for a bit over $4,000 and included the Wagner and Cobb/Wagner. BMW may have been the winning bidder, irrelevant who the winner was.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2011/372.html

We are currently discussing details so if you or anyone else can offer specific prices i would be grateful.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Doug Goodman

I'm not exactly sure why there are two threads on this topic, but here are my thoughts :

I agree with everything that drumback and bicem said in the other thread http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20, although I actually have mine stored in these albums http://www.misterart.com/display-pre...play-book.html instead of toploaders.

The incredibly overpriced items listed on ebay have been there for a very long time which illustrates how overpriced they are. Every collector of this issue has seen those listings over and over, and many of us have made (what we consider) better than fair offers, only to be turned down, illustrating that the seller is in no hurry to sell, and may not actually want to sell at all.

I have 96 of the 100 in the set (I also have 34 of the 62 in the m101-1 set), and the 4 that I need have been staring at me on ebay for as long as I can remember, with prices set at an amount that will make the (minimal) listing fees well worth paying if somebody gets drunk enough to hit the buy-it-now button after winning the lottery.

If you want to get a pretty good idea of what the market thinks is a fair price, put them on ebay with a $1 starting bid and set the reserve at the price of the (eternally) listed (always destined to be) unsold ones. The bidding will end somewhere in the middle, then you will know what they are "worth".

Edited to add : I now see that mdallen22 isn't trying to sell, but is hoping to buy the ones listed on ebay.

Give it up Mike, those aren't really for sale.

Take care,
Doug

PS - as mentioned by others in this thread, I don't think that actual collectors of this issue tend to care about the opinion of grading companies, the people who care about such opinions are the people who care only about the "value" of their items and think that paying for an opinion might get them more "value".

Last edited by doug.goodman; 11-10-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Michael Allen

Doug,

Well said. I raised these questions because i didn't want to overpay and everyone has confirmed that is exactly what id be doing, and the seller on eBay is on no hurry to sell his items.

Many have commented on owning some supplements; if anyone can give me a lead on purchasing these two pieces let me know, i'd be happy to make a fair offer.