NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Dave

Default 1951 Hartford Chiefs Set (Brave's minor league team)

1951 Hartford Chiefs

Found these with a collection of vintage wire photos in my area.

I'm normally a boxing guy but the baseball itch is coming back to me lately.

I'm guessing this is a team issue but not sure.

I've got 17 different. They measure 4 1/4" x 5 1/4" inches. They are card stock. The backs are blank.

I can't find anything on this set anywhere. Anybody have a full checklist or know any background info on it (who published it, etc.)?

The players I have are:
Travis Jackson mgr.
Len Pearson (former Negro League Star)
Pete Fox
Dick Kelly
Tommy Holmes (player, mgr.)
Ford Jordan
Harry Sullivan
Don Schmidt
Jack Daniels
Ed Lenthe
Gene Conley (I believe he was named Minor League Player of the Year this season)
Harry Hanebrink
Tom Keenan
Earl Bass
Bob Verrier
Jack Mulcahy
Elmer Toth

Thanks - Dave

Old 09-05-2009, 12:53 PM

I'd love the Travis Jackson if you are looking to have someone take it off your hands.

Paul
pstewart@kmob.com
Old 09-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I'd love the Travis Jackson if you are looking to have someone take it off your hands.

Paul
pstewart@kmob.com

Hi Paul. I'd probably lean toward keeping the group together but will let you know if it becomes available.

I'm still hoping for some more info. Is it a complete set, if not what are the others in the set?

Is it listed anywhere? I'm normally a boxing guy so I don't have the bigger catalogs with the more obscure sets at this time.

Thanks. - Dave
Old 09-05-2009, 11:10 PM

I've never heard of the set and it's not listed in the Standard Catalog. So I don't have any further information. The Jackson is just the type of oddball thing that would fit well in my collection. Maybe Bob Lemke will chime in with some information. He has recently been focusing on vintage minor league issues on his blog.

I'm not sure if there are any others. Too bad Aaron and Mathews spent no time with Hartford.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I've never heard of the set and it's not listed in the Standard Catalog. So I don't have any further information. The Jackson is just the type of oddball thing that would fit well in my collection. Maybe Bob Lemke will chime in with some information. He has recently been focusing on vintage minor league issues on his blog.

I'm not sure if there are any others. Too bad Aaron and Mathews spent no time with Hartford.

Thanks Paul. I was hoping for Bob to chime in to.

Probably a blessing for me Aaron or Mathews weren't in it. Might have been gone long before I had a chance to pick them up.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:44 PM

Default Offer?

As a collector of regional and minor league issues I would be interested in making an offer for any that you would be willing to part with. Please let me know if interested and thanks a lot.

Mark K. Bowers
(sealmark)
mkbow2@surewest.net
(916) 834-0246
Old 09-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmark View Post
As a collector of regional and minor league issues I would be interested in making an offer for any that you would be willing to part with. Please let me know if interested and thanks a lot.

Mark K. Bowers
(sealmark)
mkbow2@surewest.net
(916) 834-0246

Thanks Mark. Still holding out for more info.

If I were to submit to SGC does anybody know what I would classify these as?

- Dave

Last edited by D. Bergin; 09-07-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Thanks Mark. Still holding out for more info.

If I were to submit to SGC does anybody know what I would classify these as?

- Dave
Dave,

Drop Brian Dwyer an email: bdwyer@sgccard.com. Ask him to have a look at this thread. Then ask him how to word the submission. He'll take care of you.

Jim VB

Last edited by Jim VB; 09-07-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Dave,

Drop Brian Dwyer an email: bdwyer@sgccard.com. Ask him to have a look at this thread. Then ask him how to word the submission. He'll take care of you.

Jim VB

Thanks Jim. Just did so.

- Dave
Old 09-08-2009, 04:59 PM

Default Still Very Interested

Dave:

By virtue of the fact that there is no advertiser on the cards I suspect they were a team issue. I have seen similar sets and individual cards/photos from back in the day.

I am still very interested if you decide to move any of the cards but if not I hope that you are able to get the definitive information you are looking for.

Mark K. Bowers
mkbow2@surewest.net
Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Dave

Heard back from Brian with a very nice response regarding grading. They would label them 1951 Hartford Chiefs and possibly put in the designation "Team Issue".

They are classified as over-sized so they would cost 20 bucks apiece to grade.

They are in real nice shape and I imagine they would grade out in the 7, 8 and possibly a couple in the 9 range. However I'm still not sure that would justify the cost on these.

Anybody want to convince me otherwise?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Bob Lemke

Default Great (ucataloged) find!

Hello Dave,

What a great find for those of us who love vintage minor league "cards." And especially those of us who are Braves' fans of the era.

I have not seen these before, and have no information about the completeness of the group you posted.

Can I have your permission to feature them in my Standard Catalog Update column on my blog and in SCD? Perhaps we'll get reports from other collectors if there are any others to be found.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
Hello Dave,

What a great find for those of us who love vintage minor league "cards." And especially those of us who are Braves' fans of the era.

I have not seen these before, and have no information about the completeness of the group you posted.

Can I have your permission to feature them in my Standard Catalog Update column on my blog and in SCD? Perhaps we'll get reports from other collectors if there are any others to be found.

Hi Bob.

Absolutely! Let me know if you want any more scans.

As a background they originally came from the collection of a gentleman who worked at The Hartford Courant Newspaper as a typesetter.

Among hundreds of press photos were these cards. There were no other cards of any type in the collection. It's a leap but maybe the Newspaper issued them........I don't know.

It would be fun to see if there's any more out there.

Thanks.

- Dave
Old 08-30-2023, 10:55 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hi Guys

Bringing this old thread back to life.

I recently picked up a 1951 Hartford Chiefs scrapbook. The Chiefs were a Boston Braves farm club in 1951 Beside the normal newspaper cut outs, ticket stubs loose programs etc were 19 of these uncatalogued 1951 Hartford Chiefs cards. Thankfully they were mounted in the scrapbook with the old photo corners and not glued in so they came out of the album very clean.

Dave who started this thread listed 17 he had. I am able to add two to the list. Ray Crone and Stan Glenn. See below.

Anyone else have any or can add to the checklist or is 19 the entire set?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Hartford Chiefs.jpg (197.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 08-30-2023, 12:39 PM

Default Hartford

Been an old and now a new thread. Curious if this "set" might now be for sale ?
I chimed in waaay back and am still interested.
Thanks a lot,
Sealmark
Old 08-31-2023, 12:12 PM
Dave

Default Wow!

Amazing Fred. I can't believe it was 14 years ago I started this thread. I do still have the original find of 17 cards and have probably grown more attached to them through the years.

I never did send them into SGC, as was hinted in this thread 14 years ago.

Never thought any more would surface. Glad some have, and with two more added to the checklist to boot.

I think I sent images of all the cards I had to Bob Lemke, and maybe a couple other people at some point. Looks like I didn't add them all to this thread, so will do so for posterity sake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HartfordChiefs10Nov30a434.jpg (194.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg HartfordChiefs10Nov30a435.jpg (196.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg HartfordChiefs10Nov30a436.jpg (197.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg HartfordChiefs10Nov30a437.jpg (194.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg LeonardPearsonHartfordChiefs09Sept04A1.JPG (88.8 KB, 89 views)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:43 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Hi Guys

Bringing this old thread back to life.

I recently picked up a 1951 Hartford Chiefs scrapbook. The Chiefs were a Boston Braves farm club in 1951 Beside the normal newspaper cut outs, ticket stubs loose programs etc were 19 of these uncatalogued 1951 Hartford Chiefs cards. Thankfully they were mounted in the scrapbook with the old photo corners and not glued in so they came out of the album very clean.

Dave who started this thread listed 17 he had. I am able to add two to the list. Ray Crone and Stan Glenn. See below.

Anyone else have any or can add to the checklist or is 19 the entire set?

Hi Fred,

I responded to your PM last week, and also sent you an e-mail to be sure. Not sure if you got either one. - Dave