NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-31-2009, 02:03 AM

Default Memorabilia pickups from the National...

SHOW THEM OR TELL US ABOUT THEM...

I picked up a very tough Lou Gehrig endorsed Huskies Cereal premium ring in sparkling NM condition, that will fit in nicely with my Huskies collection. Am still in the market for a complete Huskies cereal box from the '30's, so if anyone knows of one, please PM me.

No Photo but it tis sweet.

Last edited by thekingofclout; 07-31-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:05 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default My own MasterCard moment

Time spent driving to / from National Show . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 hours
Cash spent for gas, tolls, breakfast, and show admission . . . . . . $68
Maximum amount of time available for searching show . . . . . . . . 120 minutes
Finding and purchasing four obscure autographs on Want List . . . PRICELESS

My apologies for not stopping by to introduce myself to those of you set up at the show, but I was under a severe time crunch. It didn't look like I was going to make it to this year's National Show, due to having an "unavoidable, yet important" (as defined by the Mrs.) engagement to attend with her. She thought I was nuts in my decision to drive 8 hours and hand over nearly $70 in gas, tolls, and admission fee, just for the opportunity to spend a measily 2 hours looking for autographs on my want list. That thought crossed my mind too, during the four hour drive to Cleveland. Especially since my finds are frequently few and far between. It's gotten to the point where I now consider the National a "great" show if I find and purchase just one name on my want list. Fortunately, the last four National shows that I have attended have been "great". But Thursday, the National Show reached a much higher level, because today I scored big, with the purchase of four obscure ballplayer autographs on my want list. The first purchase was a partial 1931 Detroit Tigers team sheet, with separable signatures of Orlin Collier and Chas. Sullivan. I suspect that a John Grabowski signature may have once graced this sheet too, but was previously removed. Doesn't matter to me. Collier and Sullivan were the names on my want list. My next find was a signed index card of Jack Morhardt, and I followed that with the purchase of a vintage album page cut of Carl Holling.

Needless to say, the four hour drive home was better than expected, and I actually enjoyed myself at my Mrs. planned event.

I wish you all similar success with having your own MasterCard moment.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Mike H.

I'll post my story soon, but here are some pics

I love this 12" trophy. The ball is just shy of full size.

While not scarce, this is the cleanest example of this figural I've been after for some time.

Fairly tough pencil box example.

38" early bat.

Nice looking book.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Barry Sloate

Mike- do you recall the price on the "How to Play Baseball" book? Thank you.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Mike H.

I do, it was in a mish mosh pile of paper at the back of a booth for $15. It has some great images inside including Cobb. Is it a valuable book Barry?

Last edited by mjkm90; 07-31-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Barry Sloate

It's not too valuable, but it's worth more than $15. I would say more like $35-50. Instructionals are rarely expensive but some have nice photo plates, and this one has a photo pasted on the cover, which is a plus. Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Brock

Great haul Mike! The trophy is beautiful but the bat is killer! I love the look of those type of bats. extra-long, flat cut top, and egg shaped knob = 3 for 3! Congrats on the great additions
Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Dan Bretta

Looks like you made a nice haul Mike. Congrats on that trophy! It's a beauty.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well done, Mike... That trophy is simply elegant. I don't recall ever seeing one with such a beautiful and ornate base like that. Really a magnificent (and unique) figural. The Bat is awesome as well.... many congrats on what looks like a very successful trip!

An additional question for either you or Carlton... It looks like Hunts had a pair of Testi Statues (Batter and Pitcher) displayed in their Booth. Do you recall the asking price? Probably out of this world, but just thought I would inquire... thanks!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

That trophy is awesome!

Now you just need to come up with a great story about how your grandfather or greatgrandfather was on the team, etc.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:33 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great story, Vincent... If I lived within "earshot", I would have done the same exact thing. Sounds like it was well worth the risk (and expense) even if just for a short 2 hours.

Keep these posts coming... since we cannot be there, it's fun to live vicariously through these great stories. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Mike H.

My view of the National from 30,000 feet.

It was quite a bit smaller than last year. It was very good not great from a figural/trophy perspective (No Spaldings). A lot of nodders/ceramic figures. It was probably the best year for bats I have ever seen. Poor for pennants. Poor for gloves overall. Ok for advertising. Lousy for pinbacks. Good for vintage unis. Excellent for vintage photos. A lot of nice football helmets.

Prices were terrific. A lot of the pieces (including my trophy) were with the same dealers last year. In fact, many of the photos you will see on Carlton's site will look veeeery similar to 2008.

The net54 dinner was a lot of fun and quite entertaining.

I was done buying by 8:10 a.m. Thursday and spent the rest of my time sitting in booths and visiting collectors and dealers. It was a real pleasure to sit back and relax, watch the deals being made, ask questions, offer oppinions, and learn more about our great hobby. I made a few new friends, and some excellent contacts for the things I love. It was well worth the trip and everyone I spoke with found a few new additions. So overall, it wasn't a WOW from a memorabilia perspective, but it I had a great time. If you want more specifics, let me know.

Mark...the Testi's were in Hunts and I believe priced the same as last year (check the O8 pics on Carlton's site for the exact amount).
Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Mike- do you recall the price on the "How to Play Baseball" book? Thank you.
Mike

That's a very good price on that book. My one ebay regret is when my snipe failedon this book with a dust jacket. I'll try and dig up a scan of it from my deepest, darkest spot of the hard drive.

Max
Old 08-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Graig Kreindler

Alright, maybe this doesn't count as a memorabilia pick-up, but it's certainly National related!! Here are some photos from the presentation of a commissioned painting to Bob Feller, a couple of hours before he started signing autographs on Sunday.

The man was just so incredibly nice about the piece, and boy, is his mind like a steel trap!! He recognized the game scene immediately, as well as the random dignitaries and family members that were in the crowd that chilly afternoon. Heck, he even remembered the exact attendance figures!!

What may have been even cooler was his reaction to our booth, which he visited at around 4 PM, after he had finished. Unreal. I'm just truly honored that not only he commissioned me to do this for his Van Meter museum, but that it's going to such a great player and person.

Graig

Old 08-04-2009, 05:17 AM

Default I spent more then a few hours at Graig's booth...

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. and I must say that the photos truly don't do justice to Graig's magnificent artwork. Everyone that walked by was basically dumbfounded by his paintings. They provoke such emotion. It was a week I won't soon forget. Great times Brother and many more to come.

Sincerely, Jimmy
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Scott

Amazing talent. If I ever win the lottery, I'd commission you to do a painting of my favorite player of all time, Thurman Munson.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Graig Kreindler

Jimmy, you're too kind. I only wish we could have hung out more this week. Don't be surprised if you see Dean and I at your doorstep sometime...
Old 08-04-2009, 10:18 AM
qualitycards

Graig, great shots of Mr Feller viewing your artwork and accepting your painting for his museum in Iowa
Old 08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Dan Bretta

That's awesome. Has there ever been a more accessible Hall of Famer than Bob Feller? He gets a bad rap in this hobby for "Signing anything and everything"...well isn't that how it should be?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Graig Kreindler

Supposedly, the joke about Feller goes that the only thing more rare than a baseball signed by Bob is one NOT signed by Bob.

Either way, the man's a class act!!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM

Graig.....

you have an incredible talent.

beautiful stuff.

Ever consider painting football?
(just curious)
Old 08-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for the compliments, bijoem! I actually have painted a few football pieces, though not any large ones. In the booth, there was a smaller painting of Alan Ameche in a play from the '58 Championship Game. I've also done a larger version of his game-ending drive that went to a private collector a few years ago.

Eventually I'll get some more done (I hope), as they're plenty of other moments in football that deserve to be painted...
Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Greg T.

Wonderful stuff Graig. You have incredible talent.

Greg
Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks Greg!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Stunningly realistic Greg. You're a master of the shadow!

I epecially like that Wrigley... Any of Boston's parks in the works?

Old 08-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks, Ladder7!! I do indeed have some Boston stuff in the works. Aside from the typical Fenway stuff with Williams, Foxx and the like, I'm also working on a painting of Cy Young pitching at Huntington Grounds in 1909. And, I'm hoping to go back even further soon...
Old 08-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Graig, your work was stunning. Nice to put a name to the art.

As far as memorabilia pick-ups I had only one but it was doozy: I found five photos of my cousin fighting in the 1920s. Four in action shots from two fights and a 1929 portrait.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default A true artist

Hi Graig

As I've said before - your work is incredible.

I hope I can get to see it in person some day.

And, yes, I would like one of your works!

mike
Old 08-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I just hope that I can keep it up and continue putting the work out there! Lord knows there's enough material to draw from...
Old 08-06-2009, 07:49 AM

Default Was very pleased to pick this (make that, one like it) up in Cleveland...

Sorry no camera, so I borrowed a couple of images.

The photo is mine and is a vintage original TYPE I photograph.

The following image is from Legendary's June Catalog. The one I picked up is very colorful but has some creasing and is no where as nice as the Legendary lot, but then again, I paid 1/3 the price. It's was purchased as a companion piece for my original vintage TYPE I photo anyways.

I also have the pin slabbed and graded PSA 8 but no photo, so once again I'm using an example I found on Google images. (sorry for making this so difficult).

1956toppspinbox1.jpg

1956williamspin.jpgwilliamsbywoodruff.jpg
Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Al

Graig:

Your work is beautiful, and you spell your name like my favorite baseball player. Two points for you.

-Al
Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for the compliments, Al! Actually, I was named after Nettles (whom I assume you're referring to). I think my father seeing those great plays in the '78 series left a lasting impression, and once he brought up the spelling to my mother, it was set in stone when I was born in 1980. The only problem is, I've been getting 'Craig' my entire life...which may account for my self-esteem being lower than Kafka's!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Thanks for the compliments, Al! Actually, I was named after Nettles (whom I assume you're referring to). I think my father seeing those great plays in the '78 series left a lasting impression, and once he brought up the spelling to my mother, it was set in stone when I was born in 1980. The only problem is, I've been getting 'Craig' my entire life...which may account for my self-esteem being lower than Kafka's!

Wow! I've never met someone who was named after Nettles.

Game 3 of the '78 series was an early highlight of my baseball life. Have you ever done any paintings of your namesake?

-Al
Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Graig Kreindler

Funny you should ask that!!

This drawing was done when I was 7 or 8, I think. My brother ended up buying one of those baseball player address books, and Nettles was the first person I ever sent anything to. I fully intended on just giving him the drawing to keep, but he sent it back autographed, along with two signed postcards. What a guy!!

I think someday, I'll end up doing something of him. I think I just need the right image. There's a great shot of him standing on the field looking at the scoreboard in Yankee Stadium, the night after Munson's funeral, though that painting would be more about Thurman...
Old 08-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Al

I was at that game, Graig, even as a little kid I was blown away by the emotion of that night. Bobby Murcer singlehandedly won the game after delivering Thurman's eulogy.

There are some great shots of Nettles in a full-body dive that would be awesome. Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery and then commission you to do one.

Anyway, great stuff. Your website is spectacular, BTW - very classy and easy to use.

-Al
Old 08-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks, Al! I have to hand it to my webguy, he's the one who kept telling me to make sure it's easy to navigate. I'm going to be taking the reigns towards the end of the summer, so hopefully I want sabotage all of his hard work!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Didn't study!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Wow! I've never met someone who was named after Nettles.

Game 3 of the '78 series was an early highlight of my baseball life. Have you ever done any paintings of your namesake?

-Al
I remember that game and the whole series Al!

I was in dental school at Columbia - was supposed to be studying but couldn't!

Was that a great season or what?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Todd
Todd Ev@ns

Meeting and talking to Graig was the highlight of my trip for the National. His work is breath taking and he is also as nice and personalble as his paintings are great.

I have seen alot of sports themed artwork and let me say that NO ONE can touch Graig in this area. The research and precise details that he puts into his paintings is unmatched.

I will be commissioning Graig in the future for a painting. I would love to fill my basement and entertainment area with his work.

Todd Evans
Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Sean Brennan

I got all you artists beat! Check these out. i did them when I was 13. im pretty sure I might have killed Homer peel with my miraculous character study of him in ink form.:

orig art 1.jpg

orig art 2.jpg

Last edited by milkit1; 08-07-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Matt

Here are my pick ups from the show. I was pleased with the buying.
Matt