NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Rich Klein

I was wondering, are there any major leaguers from your home town. I'm talking about players from your town -- not people who moved to your town after playing in the majors.

There has been exactly one major leaguer from my home town (Saddle Brook, NJ) -- Joe Cunningham. If I had a scanner and if I would remember to bring this home from storage -- I'd scan the wonderful Ernie Montella plaque he made for me (after I provided the cards) of Joe Cunningham.

So, the challenge is, scan us a card(s) or other items of YOUR hometown player (s).

Regards
Rich

Old 09-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: boxingcardman

Guess where I was born:

Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Adam, your hometown is too easy....

There hasn't been a major leaguer who was born in my hometown play in some 70+ years until this year when we now have two players playing in the majors.

Alex Gordon and Joba Chamberlain

Old 09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Anthony

lots of them from my hometown, Santa Monica. I had 2 on my paper route as a kid- Rick Monday and Tony Horton.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Anthony, my all-time favorite player was born in Santa Monica. Since we've sort of turned this into a guessing game I'll tell you that he starred for the Nebraska Cornhuskers baseball team in the 1970s, and he had a major league career that started in Texas and ended in Seattle.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Anthony

Dan, I have no idea. Tim Leary is my only guess, but he doesn't fit any of that. Give me a few hours, I'm going to have to cheat and google.
Almost forgot, my little league coach was Terry Bevington, who went on to manage the White Sox. There is a big advantage to being able to play ball year round.

edited to ask
Pete O'Brien?

Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Pete O'Brien is correct. I used to watch him play for the U of Neb when I was a kid...when there was like 10 fans in the whole park. I followed his career from that point on and have nearly every card issued for him...some people might be surprised at how difficult some modern cards are to find.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I grew up in Hillside, NJ.....our home was only 2 blocks away from where Phil Rizzuto lived. Does it get any closer than that ?
Phil lived in the same ivy covered English Tudor home until his recent passing away. I lived in Hillside from 1945 to 1965.
I saw the Scooter many times while I was growing up.....needless to say....I became an ardent Yankees fan.

Best regards,

TED Z

Old 09-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: daryle

William Macklin Stewart
Chicago Cubs 1944-45
Born---Stevenson, Alabama

Only major leaguer ever from my old school (Stevenson High Panthers!!!!)
Anyone that has anything that pictures him (team photo, yearbook etc,etc....) please contact me.

Also, in 1988, my hometown and our "Rival" school merge as one (Stevenson,AL and Bridgeport, AL) to form North Jackson High (currently ranked #1 in the state in Football.....Go Chiefs!!!!). I went there my senior year. There is one kid that that went to school there that is currently in the minors with the Boston Red Sox (bless his heart....if I could get him out of that mess I would....haha...........I'm a Yankee fan).....RYNE LAWSON (Lowell Spinners). I found a card of him at the national but the guy wouldn't let me have it and I didn't want the entire set. Anyone???????? ******also,,,,#26 of the Alabama Crimson Tide, Ali Shariff, defensive back, went ot North Jackson.......ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Paul S

I wasn't born in LA but was transplanted there early on, to the SF Valley. Jim Piersall (by then retired) lived in Sherman Oaks not far from me, and Don Drysdale had a bar in Van Nuys called Drysdale's Dugout. Used to pass it all the time (too young to go in, though.)

Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: CN

I went to H.S. and played ball with future HOFer Craig Biggio at Kings Park H.S. on Long Island. He was also a great football player the best on the Island in 1984 his graduating year. I graduated in 1983. When he first started playing for the Astros he would come back and visit his close friends. Then he wanted no part of his hometown for about 12 years as he got famous and made millions. About 4 years ago he finally came back and they named the H.S. field after him. I know some of his H.S. buddies and they feel slighted by him but that probably happens often in similiar cases when one makes it big. Sadly his father passed away last week but at least got to see him get 3000 hits. CN I have no scans of him as an Astro. I am going to go through some pictures in my basement and try to find some H.S. pictures but I doubt if I have any.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Mike

Old 09-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Mike

Bob Cain and Bob Swift with the midget both from Salina, Kansas

Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I'm from Fort Plain, NY and there are three I consider from my town.

1.) Bud Fowler (no question)
2.) Myron Moose Grimshaw (no question)
3.) Bill Dahlen (actually from Nelliston, NY which is about 50 yeards from Fort Plain - over a bridge)

Old 09-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Robert Herd

I'm from Knoxville, TN and Ed Bailey was one of the first players my Dad ever told me about.

[IMG][/IMG]

Robert