NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-02-2022, 11:06 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default CAN WE SOLVE THIS HOBBY (SPORTS CARD) CRISIS? Video and Discussion

I watched an excellent podcast last night about the state of the hobby (warning, it is 31 minutes long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cevkO8bZVM

While the focus of this video is modern, I do think they are some takeaways for vintage as well. I found the video and the comments section interesting.

My take on it is that it will be interesting to see how the hobby strives post the last 3 years. An issue have seen recently is a "disinterested" collector. Some friends who have been in the hobby a while and some who have recently joined are taking a pause on buying and collecting. Could be a variety of reasons, but it is not like it was a few years ago. Maybe this will pick back up next year.

Last edited by parkplace33; 11-02-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:25 AM
Brett
Banned

Default Crisis?

I am not really sure what "crisis" you are talking about. It is a hobby after all. Everyone has their own way of collecting and people go in phases with it. I am on the younger side (especially for pre-war), and I have adjusted to prices by offsetting, whether people like it or not. Not sure the term "disinterested" applies to the vast majority. Seems like a small sample size imo.. but maybe this is more for modern.

-Times change, markets change, collecting goals and needs change, i would not label this as some crisis, maybe a bump in the road for some but overall i tend to think the hobby is still lightyears ahead of where it was 3-5 years ago.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:39 AM
pete ullman

Yes how about looking at the hobby before the pandemic set in. A time when junk wax was still junk wax. Look ahead to a few years when what is currently being produced will be the new junk wax!!
Old 11-02-2022, 11:39 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

For those of us too lazy or too busy to spend 30+ mins on the video, could you boil down the gist for us?

Is it primarily that prices are crazy high?

Or is it that the modern market rose so much, and then has fallen so much?

Or something else entirely?

I agree that crisis seems like a pretty strong word to use, particularly in light of the stakes being that this is a hobby for a small section of the population, with hopefully no one spending more than they can afford on their hobby.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-02-2022, 11:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The only crisis is me not being able to afford any great cards anymore.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:42 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Modern and Ultra Modern are in trouble, big trouble. Quality blue chip kind of like that post the other day vintage zero signs of trouble only clear skies ahead... up up and away territory.

Last edited by Johnny630; 11-02-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:47 AM

While the "hobby" and the "market" are closely interconnected, those that care more about the market have seen the peak and are looking their exit (or repositioning, such as high-end desired vintage).

I've sold a lot more than I've bought the past 2 years because of elevated prices. I do plan on buying more when the hobby cools off.

I'm not in the market for high-end desired vintage, and that may never cool off. I don't know, it's beyond my scope. I'm in the $100s/1000s camp, not the $10s-100s thousands camp.

That new stuff seems to be in trouble...and there's a lot "market" people into the new stuff.

I don't know how long the "affordable" $80-$120 hobby box with a "relic or auto hit" can last. Return on investment vs the desire to gamble is getting sketchy with the odds and throwing a few more border color parallels with stamped numbers are diluting things. The higher priced hobby boxes aren't keeping pace, either.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:48 AM
pete ullman

I Perused the video it is strictly concerning the modern card market which I agree is in trouble. Anyone who got into the stock market, the crypto market, the NFT market, the sports collectibles hobby, when everything was only going up up up and was only concerned about the money likely did not do well.

If anything this post belongs in a different area of the site…imho.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:54 AM

The modern market has idiots paying 6 figures for a player in their rookie year. Modern has crashed and vintage and pre war continue to go up. No complaints here. I left modern in the 90's for vintage and it was the best hobby decision. I'm sure as time goes by many of these modern collectors will wake up and move away from modern to vintage and pre war.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

What crisis? Pushers, flippers, manipulators, influencers, certain AHs were able to artificially inflate the market for a while on modern. Of course it had to come back to earth.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:27 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What crisis? Pushers, flippers, manipulators, influencers, certain AHs were able to artificially inflate the market for a while on modern. Of course it had to come back to earth.
Maybe the crisis is for all the vault lenders now that their ultra modern collateral is worth a lot less than the loan balance.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-02-2022, 12:30 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Oh no. The speculators who are still buying in and thinking we're still in the pump stage might not make a huge profit now? I guess it depends if one cares about a 'hobby', Fanatics profit margin, or making bucks flipping. As a hobbyist, I don't see an issue.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:31 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Ditto!
Old 11-02-2022, 12:54 PM
Drew W@i$e

For those who didn't want to watch the video (I do recommend it), here is the premise/highlights:

What is the pulse of the hobby right now?

Lower excitement of the hobby.

Why are collectors selling? Some need money and some want to get out of the hobby "while they can."

Status of dealers, how are they feeling?

General malaise in the hobby.

Many pressures on the card market right now.

Sellers are outnumbering buyers at higher levels.

For buyers, should they buy now or wait 6 months when things will be cheaper?

Card shops that opened in the last few years are closing up this year.

Are you currently buying?

People bought high and won't sell low.

Will modern collectors move into vintage? It takes work for young collectors to research older players.

Last edited by parkplace33; 11-02-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:18 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
For those who didn't want to watch the video (I do recommend it), here is the premise/highlights:

What is the pulse of the hobby right now?

Lower excitement of the hobby.

Why are collectors selling? Some need money and some want to get out of the hobby "while they can."

Status of dealers, how are they feeling?

General malaise in the hobby.

Many pressures on the card market right now.

Sellers are outnumbering buyers at higher levels.

For buyers, should they buy now or wait 6 months when things will be cheaper?

Card shops that opened in the last few years are closing up this year.

Will modern collectors move into vintage? It takes work for young collectors to research older players.
Thank you for summarizing!

This quote depresses the hell out of me:

Researching older players is literally WHY I collect. It's the best part. I've read/listened to countless books, newspaper articles, etc, on 19th century ballplayers to gain that knowledge and it's been an absolute pleasure. If there wasn't this aspect I don't think I would collect, yet it seems like that's the main barrier for the younger crowd (I say this as someone in their late 30's).

Last edited by Rad_Hazard; 11-02-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard View Post
Researching older players is literally WHY I collect.
One of my main collections is an All-time Cubs collection (not anywhere near as high quality as other collectors) that required a lot of deep digging to find players I personally gate-kept as worthy.

You're not going to find a lot of Hal Jeffcoat fans in Cubs history, but the guy is notable because he went from 6 years of playing OF (not well) to pitching (also, not well) for the Cubs for a couple years over the course of a winter off. He was traded to CIN where he continued to pitch for a few years. Maybe if he was effective at either he would be more well known, but that's a unique Cubs player.

Deep diving into the history of the Cubs has extremely deepened my knowledge of the team beyond the existing literature.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:06 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:

For the modern collectors who don't want to sell low, as Peter likes to say, no one can stop you from being buried with your cards!

And if that's not your preferred exit, then I suppose we get to the classic question:

Will you remain solvent long enough for your [modern cardboard] bets to pay off?

1963 Post complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 11-02-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:38 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard View Post
Thank you for summarizing!

This quote depresses the hell out of me:

Researching older players is literally WHY I collect. It's the best part. I've read/listened to countless books, newspaper articles, etc, on 19th century ballplayers to gain that knowledge and it's been an absolute pleasure. If there wasn't this aspect I don't think I would collect, yet it seems like that's the main barrier for the younger crowd (I say this as someone in their late 30's).
agreed interesting watch(dragged at points) and great summarizing.

Seems like Vintage is the safer play

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-02-2022, 03:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
For the modern collectors who don't want to sell low, as Peter likes to say, no one can stop you from being buried with your cards!

And if that's not your preferred exit, then I suppose we get to the classic question:

Will you remain solvent long enough for your [modern cardboard] bets to pay off?
Maybe a new Gary Vee will arise from the crisis and pump it all back up. Julio and Jasson!!! Or are they already yesterday's news?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-02-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
agreed interesting watch(dragged at points) and great summarizing.

Seems like Vintage is the safer play
Ya think?

Old 11-02-2022, 03:51 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
One of my main collections is an All-time Cubs collection (not anywhere near as high quality as other collectors) that required a lot of deep digging to find players I personally gate-kept as worthy.

You're not going to find a lot of Hal Jeffcoat fans in Cubs history, but the guy is notable because he went from 6 years of playing OF (not well) to pitching (also, not well) for the Cubs for a couple years over the course of a winter off. He was traded to CIN where he continued to pitch for a few years. Maybe if he was effective at either he would be more well known, but that's a unique Cubs player.

Deep diving into the history of the Cubs has extremely deepened my knowledge of the team beyond the existing literature.
Exactly! That's what makes it fun!

I suppose that is why I enjoy diving into the history (mainly newspaper articles) of 19th century players. I've read the wonderful reports from Ed Williamson while on the 1888 Spalding World Tour, and I've read the well documented eccentricities of Dude Esterbrook, as well as pouring over the existing stats of all 19th century players.

While I write this I find myself comparing the careers of King Kelly and Paul Hines. Both have wonderfully fascinating stories, and while Kelly was definitely the media "star" of his day and had a great bat, Paul Hines was the better overall player (just as good of a bat at times, and a MUCH better fielder). If we were picking in a schoolyard and I had my choice, it would be Hines, 10 times out of 10.
Old 11-02-2022, 04:12 PM
octavio ranzola

There hundreds of these boring videos on you tube yawn
Old 11-02-2022, 05:11 PM
Bruce Mattioli

The Covid Era reminds me of late 80's early 90's where the thought of baseball cards were going to make you rich overnight.. Did it?
Old 11-02-2022, 05:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
The Covid Era reminds me of late 80's early 90's where the thought of baseball cards were going to make you rich overnight.. Did it?
The people who got in and got out quickly and flipped their proceeds into marquee vintage cards at the time.

The guys who sold the supplies--Levi Strauss didn't get rich with a tin pan.

And the guys who founded Upper Deck. Dewayne Buice made way more on his Upper Deck stock than he ever did playing for Anaheim.

This is cyclical stuff. The newbs are crapping themselves because they've never been through the cycle before and if they didn't take profits or diversify, their fortunes are sinking faster than a mammoth in the La Brea Tar Pits. At a card show this August some shmuck tried to trade me a whole case of super-high-end shiny inserts...of Walker Buehler...d'oh!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-02-2022, 05:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
There hundreds of these boring videos on you tube yawn
hee hee, that's good---yawntube.

Or not...
Old 11-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
It did. Not in a fiscal way, but I am rich in 1988 Donruss. 1988 Donruss is more colorful than the Benjamins.

Last edited by G1911; 11-02-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:42 PM
Doug Goodman

I hope the hobby can't be saved.

Then, when all the dorks are gone, the rest of us can enjoy again.

Doug
Old 11-02-2022, 06:49 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post

Doug
^This.

How do we accelerate the process of hastening the exit of the goons?

I’m open to ideas. There’s no such thing as a bad idea when it comes to the de-goonification of the hobby.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-02-2022, 07:11 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
^This.

How do we accelerate the process of hastening the exit of the goons?

I’m open to ideas. There’s no such thing as a bad idea when it comes to the de-goonification of the hobby.
I don't think there's any area of American life that couldn't use some de-goonification these days.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 11-02-2022, 07:25 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post

Doug
Uhhh... yeah! Nailed it.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:45 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Ya know, I get everyone saying that the modern is in trouble, but where I see trouble I the low grade, ceased cards that are selling (or at least being offered) for $1, $2, $3 K+ each, especially the 1950s stuff. I could see a softening in low/mid grade.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:18 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Ya know, I get everyone saying that the modern is in trouble, but where I see trouble I the low grade, ceased cards that are selling (or at least being offered) for $1, $2, $3 K+ each, especially the 1950s stuff. I could see a softening in low/mid grade.
Agree it’s happening low grade and beat up vintage is everywhere it’s not difficult to find. Demand in the dumpster division of vintage is down.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:32 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Agree it’s happening low grade and beat up vintage is everywhere it’s not difficult to find. Demand in the dumpster division of vintage is down.
Every veteran of pre war has said for years "buy the highest grade you can afford ", "and buy the Hofers first".

it's always been good advice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 11-02-2022, 08:46 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Every veteran of pre war has said for years "buy the highest grade you can afford ", "and buy the Hofers first".

it's always been good advice.
Very Smart Advice !
Old 11-02-2022, 10:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There isn't a 'market'; there are several. What happens with all the shiny crap has no relationship to what happens to T206 Wagners, which in turn has little to do with the demand for 1933 Goudey commons, and so on.

BTW, the lower grade collector is alive, well and spending from his $100 a month budget.

Or not...
Old 11-03-2022, 05:44 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post

I am also a long time Cub guy, over 50 years. But I also found over the years that by diving deep into Cub history not only deepened my knowledge of the Cubs but baseball entirely. I got caught up in the 80's and 90's craze because that was the thing at the time. I became a set collector so bought box after box to put sets together. However, when the 1 of 1's and the "insert" cards started coming out I realized I could not longer put a set together so got out and started concentrating on pre 1948 Cubs. I sold all my newer stuff. I think that is what this video is all about. Covid came and people got caught up in "buy the new boxes cheap, sell the most expensive cards" and repeat. They were and still are not, for the most part true collectors, they are entrepreneurs who are now losing their shirt and complaining.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:33 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Future sports cards hobby predictions--who knows?

The year 1986--Fleer basketball was distributed by all the Candy Co, the product wasn't that rare, it just didn't sell--Fact --the delivery drivers were instructed to pickup all unsold boxes in their area then given the opportunity to purchase them for $6.00/box--one driver bought 35 boxes and opened then all. Yep, he had over 100 Jordan RC (approx. 3 sets per box), in fact anyone had the offer to buy them at that price--even so the company returned 3 cases back to their Fleer distributor!---who would had thought, if discussing Train Collectors future, for a comparison, please chime in ?
Old 11-03-2022, 06:52 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Comparing the modern card market to vintage is like comparing people fighting over the latest high end Tesla to guys who collect vintage Camaros. Almost zero correlation or overlap.

The modern trading realm was jettisoned into the stratosphere by the world of box and case breakers. Buy a spot in a break for $995 and possibly pull the million dollar Zion or Justin Herbert. Pure gambling. 100% Buy a pricey lottery ticket. Spend a relatively modest amount and you too have a chance of pulling a million dollar card. Yes, there was a chance. Negligibly small, but there are plenty of videos of millions dollar pulls. Of course nothing like that on a large scale with vintage.

Complete apples to oranges. Not many 25 year old wheeler dealers are shelling out $50,000 for a high end vintage card. Not the same adrenaline rush.

I feel bad for guys who opened brick and mortar card shops at the height of the mania for modern. They are getting killed. No one is buying a $8,000 box of football cards right now. Nobody. And they prob can't sell the $800 boxes either. That bubble has officially burst. There is one breaking outfit I started watching in the pandemic and they are slow slow slow. Even laid a guy off recently.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-03-2022 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:39 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Had to laugh when I saw this - I'm suffering through the same issue Leon.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 11-03-2022, 08:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Comparing the modern card market to vintage is like comparing people fighting over the latest high end Tesla to guys who collect vintage Camaros. Almost zero correlation or overlap.

The modern trading realm was jettisoned into the stratosphere by the world of box and case breakers. Buy a spot in a break for $995 and possibly pull the million dollar Zion or Justin Herbert. Pure gambling. 100% Buy a pricey lottery ticket. Spend a relatively modest amount and you too have a chance of pulling a million dollar card. Yes, there was a chance. Negligibly small, but there are plenty of videos of millions dollar pulls. Of course nothing like that on a large scale with vintage.

Complete apples to oranges. Not many 25 year old wheeler dealers are shelling out $50,000 for a high end vintage card. Not the same adrenaline rush.

I feel bad for guys who opened brick and mortar card shops at the height of the mania for modern. They are getting killed. No one is buying a $8,000 box of football cards right now. Nobody. And they prob can't sell the $800 boxes either. That bubble has officially burst. There is one breaking outfit I started watching in the pandemic and they are slow slow slow. Even laid a guy off recently.
From what I've been reading, there is a whiff of stinky from the breaking world. Someone did a mathematical analysis of the pulls by one breaking influencer and basically concluded that they either had the greatest luck in history or they were being fed loaded boxes by Panini in order to hype the brand. True? I have no idea. But no one has to hype Babe Ruth.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-03-2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:26 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

In the past yes, I would agree with you. But not right now. There is some correlation.

"A rising tide lifts all boats". Interest in any area of the hobby helps the entire hobby. But concern in one area has impact, abit small, in other areas.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:28 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
From what I've been reading, there is a whiff of stinky from the breaking world. Someone did a mathematical analysis of the pulls by one breaking influencer and basically concluded that they either had the greatest luck in history or they were being fed loaded boxes by Panini in order to hype the brand. True? I have no idea. But no one has to hype Babe Ruth.
Shocking!
Old 11-03-2022, 09:56 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
In the past yes, I would agree with you. But not right now. There is some correlation.

"A rising tide lifts all boats". Interest in any area of the hobby helps the entire hobby. But concern in one area has impact, abit small, in other areas.
Except that a boat with a hole in it just becomes further underwater.

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 11-03-2022, 10:44 AM

There was a post a while back about collecting goals for the next year.

Like a few of you have mentioned, the stuff in grades I prefer to collect (er, used to) is now out of my budget. So to fill the void, I have been dabbling in a small handful of the the brightest current modern stars. I have been buying raw cards on ebay, then send to PSA and have been pleased with the results. It has been fun keeping the hobby alive for me in this way.

However, my real goal has been to not sell any of my pre-war. And I have stuck to that goal. Enjoy and hold what you already have.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:35 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
There was a post a while back about collecting goals for the next year.

Like a few of you have mentioned, the stuff in grades I prefer to collect (er, used to) is now out of my budget. So to fill the void, I have been dabbling in a small handful of the the brightest current modern stars. I have been buying raw cards on ebay, then send to PSA and have been pleased with the results. It has been fun keeping the hobby alive for me in this way.

However, my real goal has been to not sell any of my pre-war. And I have stuck to that goal. Enjoy and hold what you already have.
Sounds like a fun approach.

You mentioned that the grades have been pleasing. Out of curiosity, just how pleasing? 9s and 10s?

While not the only thing I've been doing, I've been taking a similar approach to some of my childhood stars with pieces from 1980-2010. But my grades have been almost exclusively 8s and 9s, which was sub-optimal.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-03-2022, 11:39 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
And Topps got accused at about the same time of physically marking packs with a big hit for some reason.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Jeremy

It seems that PWCC's November Premier Auction has been cancelled. Unrelated coincidence, or symptom of the market downturn?
191/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
127/208 T205s
24/108? Diamond Stars
Old 11-03-2022, 01:40 PM
Steve

Quote:
I totally agree with you Leon. I still lose most anything I try to go after so, not seeing much of a crisis at this point as it pertains to the vintage stuff most all of use love.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:42 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
It seems that PWCC's November Premier Auction has been cancelled. Unrelated coincidence, or symptom of the market downturn?
Color me surprised!

Just in October, they had 429 items, with some of the modern pieces selling for 7 figures or close to 7 figures.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-03-2022, 02:32 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I think the recent comeback of card shows will fade as the market turns, particularly in those regional places you normally wouldn't expect to find one.