NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-30-2019, 02:13 PM

Default First Post - custom Clemente card display

I’m brand new to this site so I will try to be concise and hopefully I’m not violating any rules. I’ve been collecting RC since I was a kid in the 1960’s. Years ago I delivered my collection of 19 Topps cards to SGC in NJ for grading (I didn’t trust Fedex or UPS so I drove them there myself). I was the first time I ever had anything slabbed as I only buy ungraded cards.

They have sat in a box since but I really wanted to display them. I couldn’t envision them behind ANOTHER piece of glass; I wanted to be able to handle and maybe switch them around or even upgrade. So, I asked my wife Robin, who owns a picture framing biz, Manhattan Frame & Art, for suggestions.

We bandied about a bunch of ideas before her employee John came up with the solution below. He hand assembled and painted the whole thing; It measures 48” x 20”. For the record, I’m a RC oddball collector but I prefer pieces created in his lifetime.

I thought perhaps others might appreciate. It turned out to be the best Christmas gift EVER! BTW, I found the center plaque and HOF card in the lower right on eBay for all of $10…

Old 12-30-2019, 02:29 PM

Looks good but I am not sure why you have covered up most of the “Clemente 21” with the cards. Also don’t like the horizontal cards displayed vertically or the HOF post card used to even it out in the last slot . I think it could have been laid out better. Just my 2 cents .
Scott

Last edited by quitcrab; 12-30-2019 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-30-2019, 03:01 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Welcome fellow Clemente collector!

This is the best Clemente thread on the board - be sure to check it out if you like the oddball stuff!!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249493

Thanks for sharing your display. I invite you to post some of your favorite "oddball" stuff in the linked thread for all to appreciate.....and if you happen to own a complete 1960 Bazooka box with Clemente - please contact me immediately to work out a trade for it!!

Howard
Old 12-30-2019, 03:02 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadjr View Post
I’m brand new to this site so I will try to be concise and hopefully I’m not violating any rules. I’ve been collecting RC since I was a kid in the 1960’s. Years ago I delivered my collection of 19 Topps cards to SGC in NJ for grading (I didn’t trust Fedex or UPS so I drove them there myself). I was the first time I ever had anything slabbed as I only buy ungraded cards.

They have sat in a box since but I really wanted to display them. I couldn’t envision them behind ANOTHER piece of glass; I wanted to be able to handle and maybe switch them around or even upgrade. So, I asked my wife Robin, who owns a picture framing biz, Manhattan Frame & Art, for suggestions.

We bandied about a bunch of ideas before her employee John came up with the solution below. He hand assembled and painted the whole thing; It measures 48” x 20”. For the record, I’m a RC oddball collector but I prefer pieces created in his lifetime.

I thought perhaps others might appreciate. It turned out to be the best Christmas gift EVER! BTW, I found the center plaque and HOF card in the lower right on eBay for all of $10…

Looks good, Hadjr.

Welcome to the site.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:38 PM

Nice! What are you using to hold the graded cards in place? Hard to tell from photo.

Also, what does the little plaque in the middle say?
Old 12-30-2019, 04:16 PM
Ben North

Beautiful display.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:35 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Nice! What are you using to hold the graded cards in place? Hard to tell from photo.

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-30-2019, 06:57 PM
Mike Reid

Very cool.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post

They're steel U-shaped brads about 2 1/2" long. Here is the plaque -

Old 12-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Looks good but I am not sure why you have covered up most of the “Clemente 21” with the cards. Also don’t like the horizontal cards displayed vertically or the HOF post card used to even it out in the last slot . I think it could have been laid out better. Just my 2 cents .
Scott
Goods points. We tried many layouts using the 3 landscape cards but it just didn't look right. We also considered using some original blueprints of Forbes field we found as a background but that didn't look right either! John actually painted the name & number as a surprise. And, you're right, I'm gonna swap in the 72 IA card in place of the HOF card which looks out pf place. Thx for the help!
Old 12-30-2019, 07:12 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I think your display looks great, but I can understand those that think the 'CLEMENTE' and the '21' shouldn't be covered up...may even be better without that underneath...but, that's just my opinion...I still like it!

Welcome to this great site!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-30-2019, 07:31 PM

Glad your putting in the 1972 in Action . The 68 all star is another horizontal card that could help you balance it out and use in the display but I am guessing it’s kind of set up just to hold cards in the vertical position.
I hope I didn’t sound to negative in my first post.

I really like the display and I think if you did another one it would turn out better! It’s always cool seeing different ways people display their collection.
I would like to see a little more black and yellow on it too and the blueprint sounds like a great idea. You can get about anything you want printed out on vinyl today.
Also, I should have welcomed you to Net54.. so welcome !
You will see and learn a lot here !

I love the Clemente cards ! My best Clemente is oddball stuff. Maybe you can put a second board together with oddball cards ???
My favorites are the 68 action sticker and full Clemente bazooka boxes
Old 12-30-2019, 09:24 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Great looking display!!!
Old 12-31-2019, 02:08 AM
M@rk Comer

Welcome to the board and great pic of part of your collection. I think it looks nice as well. The background looks neat by itself with no cards on there.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
This is the best Clemente thread on the board - be sure to check it out if you like the oddball stuff!!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249493

Thanks for sharing your display. I invite you to post some of your favorite "oddball" stuff in the linked thread for all to appreciate.....and if you happen to own a complete 1960 Bazooka box with Clemente - please contact me immediately to work out a trade for it!!

Howard
Thx Howard. Yes, I read through all 22 pages. It's the reason I joined this board! Found a bunch of stuff I want to add to my collection. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2019, 07:40 AM
George

Very cool display! I've never figured out a good way to showcase my Clemente collection, but I took a picture and made it my screen saver at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 9.37.28 AM.jpg (22.9 KB, 118 views)
Old 12-31-2019, 08:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome to the forum. Nice display too!!
Old 12-31-2019, 03:07 PM
Al Richter

Great first post, welcome aboard
Old 01-04-2020, 12:12 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Very nice!