NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-11-2016, 04:57 PM

Default Some Baseball at the 2016 NSCC

I've been posting in other threads my Convention experience and pickups. Might as well give some time to baseball. There's more pre 80's than post 80's in my entry, so I'm posting here. There was plenty to see at the Convention.....

How about the Ruth and Gehrig bats, also the Wagner and Cobb cards. All on exhibit at the Memory Lane booth.

One of my first autographs was Mitch Williams at the VIP welcome party

At the Sneak peek, I got John Montefusco; he's a nice guy, and very chatty.

Caught Ron Bloomberg on Friday. He was in great shape, and also a talker. Sometimes too much talk, but that's a story for another day.

Got Kevin Mitchell on Saturday, he loved the Toys R Us card; said his daughter would want one.

Met Bobby Shantz at the Sneak Peek, a real gentleman. He really liked my Stadtler pen, said he had been looking for one; had to remind him to return it.

A great time was had. I've posted a few threads throughout the forum with other pickups. Check them out!
Old 08-11-2016, 05:21 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Cool stuff. Damm, I had a good time there. First day was sensory overload. Almost fight or flight. Almost too much. Day 2 I was a kid on Christmas morning.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:21 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I love that your autographs are of 'regular' star players and not the usual grouping of bitter HOF'ers who won't give you the time of day. That's really, really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:45 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Cool stuff. Damm, I had a good time there. First day was sensory overload. Almost fight or flight. Almost too much. Day 2 I was a kid on Christmas morning.
X2. Thanks for sharing, Herbc.

I can imagine!

Going to have to check out one of these Nationals one of these days.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Great autos, especially the Shantz. I've met Blomberg and he's great.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:37 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

After 14 in a row I'd say this was the worst National I've attended. It simply did not have the critical mass of dealers necessary to satisfy me because I look for obscure issues and ephemera and many vintage dealers either stayed home or brought limited inventory. 90% of what I saw was eBay inventory and most of the rest was not for sale because it was either auctioneer eye candy or museum priced. I picked up a few good items on Wednesday morning but nothing great, and spent the ensuing days filling in postwar mainstream cards on the cheap. Nice cards and great prices (no signs of price inflation in most inventory; quite the contrary) but not exciting. Some picks:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-13-2016, 09:49 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
After 14 in a row I'd say this was the worst National I've attended. It simply did not have the critical mass of dealers necessary to satisfy me because I look for obscure issues and ephemera and many vintage dealers either stayed home or brought limited inventory.
I have never been to one but that is surprising to read considering the current hobby/price craze we have all been seeing lately?

Any thoughts as to why? Are people hoarding, waiting it out for higher prices or is it likely some other factor or a combination of many other things?
Old 08-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

One man's total bust is another one's perfect event. That's life. Depends what you are looking for and what your expectations are. I think a lot of people decided in January the AC show would be a bust for various reasons. Hopefully not too many Net 54 members were gunned down on the bad streets of AC.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:13 PM

Yup. Thought it was great. Bought a ton of stuff.
RayB

Great autographs; love the fact that you took pictures of the guys. Shantz looks great for his age!

Last edited by RayBShotz; 08-13-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Ne@l K

nice thread, great pics!

The AC National was great. I for one hope to see it there again.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Partially logistics, Dale. A number of dealers I know west of the Rockies refused to travel to AC and set up, or brought only what they could carry on to a plane. Others did not see the financial value in the trip due to the cost of hotels; when the convention host hotels average over $300 a night (with taxes) on Friday and Saturday, it isn't the same dynamic as Chi or even CLE. I also got the feeling that there wasn't the commuter table-taking that you see in a great metro area like Chicago. The trip to NYC or even Philly is long enough to make it unattractive to do every day for 4-5 days straight. I tried a similar approach to the 1996 Anaheim show and decided after a couple of days that I was never going to do it that way again. When the show was there in 2006 I stayed at a hotel for it. The net result, I felt, didn't leave a lot of picking tables for me. I'd say about 5-7, and that includes some of the tables that were all mainstream postwar cards but presented at extreme discounts. I went home with over half my purchase funds intact. Not a good show for me.

Steve, it is to each his own. I go to the National to buy special items that I cannot buy on eBay or from the myriad AH's. Wednesday morning I picked up most of the better items I got: a Jim Thorpe strip card, 2 Diamond Dust punchboard cards, an oddball Koufax item. By Thursday those kinds of finds were finished. The rest of the time was mainstream because there just wasn't much of the other stuff to go through. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if that is who you are as a collector. Just not me. I came home with a stack of cards but they were all basic.

Still, as our co-member Robert S. is fond of saying, the worst day at a card show is better than the best day at the office.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-13-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Partially logistics, Dale. A number of dealers I know west of the Rockies refused to travel to AC and set up, or brought only what they could carry on to a plane. Others did not see the financial value in the trip due to the cost of hotels; when the convention host hotels average over $300 a night (with taxes) on Friday and Saturday, it isn't the same dynamic as Chi or even CLE. I also got the feeling that there wasn't the commuter table-taking that you see in a great metro area like Chicago. The trip to NYC or even Philly is long enough to make it unattractive to do every day for 4-5 days straight. I tried a similar approach to the 1996 Anaheim show and decided after a couple of days that I was never going to do it that way again. When the show was there in 2006 I stayed at a hotel for it. The net result, I felt, didn't leave a lot of picking tables for me. I'd say about 5-7, and that includes some of the tables that were all mainstream postwar cards but presented at extreme discounts. I went home with over half my purchase funds intact. Not a good show for me.

Steve, it is to each his own. I go to the National to buy special items that I cannot buy on eBay or from the myriad AH's. Wednesday morning I picked up most of the better items I got: a Jim Thorpe strip card, 2 Diamond Dust punchboard cards, an oddball Koufax item. By Thursday those kinds of finds were finished. The rest of the time was mainstream because there just wasn't much of the other stuff to go through. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if that is who you are as a collector. Just not me. I came home with a stack of cards but they were all basic.

Still, as our co-member Robert S. is fond of saying, the worst day at a card show is better than the best day at the office.
I can understand that! One would have to sell a lot of product just to break even let alone make a decent profit.

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:15 AM
Steve

Default living the good life

Man, Bobby looks terrific - hope i can pass for 75 when in my nineties.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:36 PM

Default So, if 90 is the new 70; is 60 the new 40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Man, Bobby looks terrific - hope i can pass for 75 when in my nineties.
He will be 91 next month. I just checked the back of the 1950 Bowman RC that he signed for me. He does look great, and he's spry.

I found this picture of him striking Jackie Robinson out in the 1952 AS Game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 08-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Steve

Shantz was a great competitor. Can you imagine a scout these days at any level giving a contract to a kid five and half feet tall and weighing a buck fifty? But what was in his mind and heart took him all the way to the big show. I did note in pic you posted that even now, Bobby has outsized hands - I'll bet that allowed him to throw some great breaking pitches, somewhat like a Pedro Martinez or other undersized but outstanding pitchers.