NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-11-2016, 01:58 PM

Default oversize 1951 Mantle 253 card

I have an oversized 51 Mantle card that looks just like the small one. Any history of such a card ?
Thanks.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Al Richter

Default 1951

What are it's dimensions ? Regular stock ? Do you have scan of back ? Topps, which bought out Bowman, has done larger reprints, but it would be noted on back

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-11-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Last edited by begsu1013; 08-22-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:37 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
maybe he's referring to the 52 berk ross?

very similar image...
Could be. We really need a picture to help you out.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:50 AM

Default oversized mantle card

Sorry, I'm no good at picture posts on here. I can send an email, dnmcduffie@yahoo.com, attachment of it and a regular sized Mantle card to compare.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
Sorry, I'm no good at picture posts on here. I can send an email, dnmcduffie@yahoo.com, attachment of it and a regular sized Mantle card to compare.
Sent you a email and would gladly add the pictures to the thread for you.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Ben North

Here are the 51 Bowman pics from larietrope. Larger card is the size of a 53 color Bowman. Not an expert on this issue but both look fake to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantles front0002 (2).jpg (80.2 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg mantle backs0002 (1).jpg (86.1 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 08-12-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:02 PM
Chris

You can tell the big one isn't real based on the corner wear. The back of the small one just looks off color.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:16 AM

Default Mantle cards

Not questioning authenticity, wanted to know if anyone had any information on the large one. I had not seen one before.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:37 AM
Chris

Quote:
Not questioning authenticity, wanted to know if anyone had any information on the large one. I had not seen one before.
There have been a number of reprints made over the years, some of which I'm sure are oversized. This one looks artificially aged, so I'd venture to say it's just a straight counterfeit.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:
You see many counterfeit cards like these being sold on etsy. Where did you get these 2? Most legit reprints will have REPRINT and/or the new manufacture date on them.

Also did you compare them to any of the fakes being sold on eBay?
Old 08-13-2016, 06:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Not questioning authenticity on a fake card? Ok then, what would you like to know besides it's worthless? I doubt you will find out who made it. It looks to be made out of cardboard, does that help?

Quote:
Old 08-13-2016, 07:51 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Maybe it is a 1 of 1
Old 08-13-2016, 08:23 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Not questioning authenticity on a fake card? Ok then, what would you like to know besides it's worthless? I doubt you will find out who made it. It looks to be made out of cardboard, does that help?
I took his point to mean that he doesn't doubt it is not an original 1951 card but is curious when/how it was issued, which is a fair question given that there are a number of legitimate reprints that aren't "authentic" but aren't exactly fake either. That said, these look like modern fakes.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:20 PM

Default Thank you Chris and Ben

For your considerate reply as to my question. I made it plain I had not seen an oversized one and though it might be interesting and never said anything about real or fake. Thanks also to Ben for posting.
I hesitate to post here because so many people have a fixation about whether a card is real or not. A simple discussion is ruined with accusation.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
...is ruined with accusation.
i feel your pain, sincerely.

i had a similar, yet far worse accusation thrown at me privately in which i was told to handle the manner quickly and quietly by a board member.

as a courtesy, i really haven't posted much on the subject matter and to date have still not received an apology in regards to such an egregious assumption.

well, i did from the initial accuser after i called him and gave him the pertinent information which rang a bell.

initial accuser is not subscribed and couldn't post, so had a friend reach out on his behalf.

however, no apology from the messenger who basically took his, self admitted, inebriated story for gospel and suggested how i should handle it.

as if that story could even remotely be true about me and after i had numerous transactions w/ the messenger. it was a character shot and not appreciated whatsoever.

and you would think w/ his own previous issues, that he would know exactly what position he was trying to bestow upon me.

enough cryptation....

i feel what you are saying and even though it's a reprint of some sort,

it's something i hadn't seen before and i appreciate your posting it!

please update the thread if/when you ever nail down the origins for us!!!

Last edited by begsu1013; 08-13-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:16 PM

Default thanks-the trend

Seems the trend today for many is to bash and accuse rather than a civil discussion. Look at our politics today.
Too bad we're discussing this and not baseball cards. I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:36 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I have an oversized 51 Mantle card that looks just like the small one. Any history of such a card ?
Thanks.
Quote:
Seems the trend today for many is to bash and accuse rather than a civil discussion. Look at our politics today.
Too bad we're discussing this and not baseball cards. I'll leave it at that.
In all fairness, I think the majority of your replies were helpful but I can also understand the others who talked about fakes/reprints/counterfeits as that seems to be a hot topic lately with the amount of them around nowadays.

But that aside, remember, this is the internet and what people write/post can be taken any way depending on how you choose to see/read it.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
In all fairness, I think the majority of your replies were helpful but I can also understand the others who talked about fakes/reprints/counterfeits as that seems to be a hot topic lately with the amount of them around nowadays.

But that aside, remember, this is the internet and what people write/post can be taken any way depending on how you choose to see/read it.

Just my 2 cents.
Exactly, I didn't understand the question. I thought it was more towards authenticity as it was still vague. My mistake and apology to the OP on that.

Last edited by Leon; 08-13-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

I'm also a bit hesitant to post on these threads for these sorts of reasons. People get worked up too fast. I just want to have fun and fact find with other collectors. Not really interested in arguing whether my stuff is just cardboard, overproduced, fake or without value. Maybe I'll put that last sentence in all caps before my posts haha -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
I'm also a bit hesitant to post on these threads for these sorts of reasons. People get worked up too fast. I just want to have fun and fact find with other collectors. Not really interested in arguing whether my stuff is just cardboard, overproduced, fake or without value. Maybe I'll put that last sentence in all caps before my posts haha -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand the hesitation. We get our fair share of scammers coming on here and trying to sell counterfeit cards. That is why most point out fakes and get a little testy about people posting them. I personally love reprints and "custom" cards as long as they are listed as what they really are.