NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-04-2023, 07:31 PM

Default Buying cards on facebook?

Hi looking to see if anyone here is interested in sharing their perspective/experience on buying cards on facebook? I checked and it seemed like chaos (like 50 replies to a post) or an easy way to get scammed (my great grand pappy gave me this signed mickey mantle card and I want to sell it here)...?

Best,
Ed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by ejstel; 01-04-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:35 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Actually, my experience has been excellent. I barely buy or sell on eBay anymore. For me, the trick is to pick the right FB groups/pages, and get to know the more experienced buyers and sellers. I didn’t take me long and I’ve had excellent experiences on several vintage FB pages

Jeff
Old 01-05-2023, 06:21 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejstel View Post
Hi looking to see if anyone here is interested in sharing their perspective/experience on buying cards on facebook? I checked and it seemed like chaos (like 50 replies to a post) or an easy way to get scammed (my great grand pappy gave me this signed mickey mantle card and I want to sell it here)...?

Best,
Ed

That's a big card so be sure to do your homework, ask for references, etc, before selling it to anyone here or there.

Personally, I've had good luck but that doesn't mean each and every site on facebook is free of scammers and crooks. They are everywhere as one, especially this day and age, should know.
(Post up pic if you can?)
Old 01-05-2023, 08:52 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

If it's a Marketplace post on FB, that can be pretty sketchy. If it's a group you're in, or just joined, check out how long they've been in the group and what other posts that seller has made and see if they seem to be a participating and credible/trustworthy member. Someone who just joined a group and goes big selling a $5k card with their first post is usually a problem.

ETA: Use a payment method with buyer protection if you're not sure (or always). If they insist on a no-fee payment method, can often be a sign of a scam.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.

Last edited by CardPadre; 01-05-2023 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:14 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I'm new to FB

Just got started about a month ago - kicking myself for not getting there sooner. I haven't bought anything yet, but have sold quite a bit. Asking for "vouches" from people who have done business with the seller is a thing there too.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:50 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I buy/sell in the Mets FB groups where everyone knows each other. Never had a problem.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:52 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I've bought and sold in fb groups for 3-4 years. Never had a problem, super easy, and no fees when selling. At this point my purchases (non auction house) are about 75% fb. 25% ebay.
Just stick to paypal G&S (as most groups require) and you'll be fine.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:58 PM

Hi thank you for the feedback. I am in the process of purchasing a few and created one listing.

I am feeling better post my first day there...it just felt like chaos at that time...maybe too many group/comments etc.

Thanks again,
Ed

Old 01-06-2023, 09:15 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

I've done hundreds of transactions on fb groups. Since I started about five years ago it has really limited the time I spend here. I do check back here periodically (as evidenced in this response), however, I don't think I've purchased anything here in a long time as the deals just don't seem to be as frequent. Still enjoying reading the banter though!

In all the deals on fb I have only been scammed once and looking back it was one of those too good to be true deals and my whiffer was just broke that night. I have had instances where cards arrive in poorer condition than I anticipated so be sure to request plenty of pics and ask specific questions. But all in all I'd say my collection grew exponentially because of fb, especially pre-war.

I've scoured fb marketplace quite a bit and communicating with buyer is spotty at best. Groups are where it's at!
Old 01-15-2023, 05:24 PM

Hi thank you for the feedback. For me it went well...I am slowly figuring out the vintage groups. The speed of the posts fills my FB stream....not used to that. I am thinking to post the same here and there.

Hey is there a way to bump a FB group post 'back to the top' vs making a new post (again)?

Best,
Ed

Old 01-16-2023, 09:15 AM
J0hn Collin$

FB groups can be a great resource, but you have to find the right one for you. There can be lot of noise to filter through. But yes, far easier to sell there in most cases than eBay, and once you establish relationships with good people FB can be very handy, both for buying and selling.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:04 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejstel View Post

Best,
Ed

Here is my $.02

I have done both buying and selling on both FB and Ebay and both are good, yet different.

Facebook
- The key is which group(s) you're in. Find a few and watch for a bit. Learn how they work. Two of the ones I am in are so big and there are so many sales it's easy to miss things, or lose one to go back to. If posting, theoretically, any post/reply will "bump it back up" but the FB algorithms are strange and it doesn't work for everyone. There are different settings for different groups (FB settings for posts) such as New Posts, Newest Activity or Most Relevant. I am still trying to figure out how to change these permanently. I'll change it to New Posts in a group and the next time I go to that page its back to Most Relevant. So your post, even if there is a lot of activity/posts may still miss some if it's not relevant to what they have been searching for recently.
- Sometimes how to sell on FB is a guessing game. Which group do I use? Do I sell as an auction, claim sale or just a fixed price. There are advantages to all. I actually tend to best selling lower dollar cards in claim sales. They're a lot of work though, but if done right you can move stuff that is just sitting around. Higher dollar/stars will do better but they need to be priced right.
- Buying is all about timing. A lot of posts just provide pics (some not so great) and give no info on condition. Ultimately, you should be able to find what you are looking for, but if you're picky on condition, be picky about sales and/or ask for more pics. Hang around enough and you'll find certain sellers that always have nice cards and do well at describing general condition and mention creases, flaws, etc.

Ebay - I like being able to save certain sellers and at my leisure look at what cards they have added since I last looked. I like to look at a lot of cards and are very picky with condition on non-graded cards. My definition of NM is not the same as everyone's. But I can look anonymously and pass on cards that aren't pleasing. That part I like.
- Finding good sellers is key in my opinion. It lessens the chance you'll find some jackass who doesn't know how to package cards properly to ship and you'll find some consistency.
- The other thing I like if I am buying multiple cards, is there are sellers who do high volume and let you stack cards for several days and not pay additional shipping charges. I've won cards from the same seller for almost a week before and didn't pay until 6 or 7 days. They will combine the invoice and reduce shipping charges before you pay. Just have to find the sellers that do this. Note: there are some FB sellers that do the same. The handful of claim sales I have done, I spread out over 3 days and only charge $5 shipping no matter how many cards they buy. I don't send anyone a total until the sale is done, so they can take advantage of flat shipping costs. I've even, via Messenger, added cards that I had not posted to their lot. That helps keep costs down. Personally, I like getting to know a bit about those that buy from me and what they collect. it has led to added sales and led to me buying from them, and even a trade (not my favorite)!

I'm rambling, so hopefully that helps some. If you have any specific questions about FB groups, ebay sellers, etc. feel free to PM me.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:18 PM
Patrick

There's a few Facebook groups that I really like and have had good experiences in. Dan Harmon's vintage groups have always been really fun and I've meet some good folks. There's also a few pre-war groups I'm in that have been great for buying and selling in.

1956 Topps (97/340)
1950 Bowman (178/252)
Virginia T206 SLers (11/12)
T210 Richmond Colts (17/18)
T206 Washington Senators (14/19)
T205 Washington Senators (3/9)
Richmond and Virginia pre war minor leaguers