NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2022, 01:10 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Any player cards you dont collect because of morals

I know I will never collect OJ Simpson

i note there are a bunch of guys in the the 50s sets that did not have nice things to say about jackie robinson and willie mays as well..
Old 11-15-2022, 01:45 PM
Ben North

The only player I will not collect is Tony Gwynn and I will admit my reason is beyond silly.

I am so anti Tony Gwynn that when a great hobby friend was excited and sent me a picture of his new game used Tony Gwynn bat. My return email only said "if you ever bring him up again we can't be friends". He has never sent me a email about getting another Tony Gwynn item.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:49 PM
J@RR0D

Cap Anson. And it's a bummer, because his Goodwin Champions is one of the most beautiful cards ever produced.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:50 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Interesting topic...

My family does not love the fact that I have an N28 Cap Anson - not a good dude as it relates to integrating the game.

Here's a tangent issue - anyone ever have an issue selling to or buying from another collector or dealer with very different political slants than your own?

(I admit... I have)
Old 11-15-2022, 02:47 PM

I've owned Pete Rose cards, but have never looked to acquire them. I usually sell them off as soon as possible.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't have a character screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simpson.jpg (198.2 KB, 819 views)
File Type: jpg ansonn162.jpg (112.2 KB, 823 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:54 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

None. Vintage is history, and history is not the study of things I like or people who share my life philosophy and values. My non-sports sets include mass murders like Alexander, Caesar, and the more modern ones that offend. OJ Simpson is in my 70’s football sets. Charlie Haeger is in my 2006 Bowman box. My boxing sets include Kid McCoy who murdered his girlfriend and Billy Papke who murdered his wife. If I had the wallet to chase Old Judge’s, I would have Anson in my set. He sits in many of my modern sets. I’m sure one can find dozens of players to object too in any set.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post

Here's a tangent issue - anyone ever have an issue selling to or buying from another collector or dealer with very different political slants than your own?

(I admit... I have)
I cannot imagine living in a world where I refuse to deal with someone because they disagree with me. I don’t care if a person I am dealing with is a hardline conservative or a communist. I know good men and bad of every political stripe.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:08 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I don't collect Bonds, I do collect Cobb.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 11-15-2022, 05:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I cannot imagine living in a world where I refuse to deal with someone because they disagree with me. I don’t care if a person I am dealing with is a hardline conservative or a communist. I know good men and bad of every political stripe.
I would never refuse to deal with someone based on their views alone.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I was at a show one time when a dealer I'd often bought from used a very specific ethnic slur to describe a certain politician. I walked away in disgust and will never, ever do business with him again. Outright public racism is a line I don't cross in business dealings.

As for players I do not collect because of morals, there are a few subjects I am not interested in having in my PC. Michael Jackson fits the bill.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-21-2022, 03:17 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I was at a show one time when a dealer I'd often bought from used a very specific ethnic slur to describe a certain politician. I walked away in disgust and will never, ever do business with him again. Outright public racism is a line I don't cross in business dealings.
I’ve had some negative dealers, but that’s a new one.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Interesting topic...

My family does not love the fact that I have an N28 Cap Anson - not a good dude as it relates to integrating the game.

(I admit... I have)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post

What if the wackadoo claims to have PSA 5's that "identify" as PSA 8's?

Last edited by murphy8276; 11-30-2022 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy8276 View Post
What if the wackadoo claims to have PSA 5's that "identify" as PSA 8's?
That made me laugh way more than it should have.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:58 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The only player I will not collect is Tony Gwynn and I will admit my reason is beyond silly.

I am so anti Tony Gwynn that when a great hobby friend was excited and sent me a picture of his new game used Tony Gwynn bat. My return email only said "if you ever bring him up again we can't be friends". He has never sent me a email about getting another Tony Gwynn item.

Please share your reasoning...I have always thought Gwynn was a good guy.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-20-2022, 07:46 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Please share your reasoning...I have always thought Gwynn was a good guy.

Maybe for his batting battles with Boggs?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-20-2022, 08:08 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Maybe for his batting battles with Boggs?
LOL, that and his beyond amazing late in life insanely huge increase in batting average from age 33-37. His huge production increase made Barry Bonds increase look like Barry had never even heard of PEDs.

Weirdly couldn't care less about anyone else's huge increase in production late in their careers.

I said it didn't make sense.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:43 AM

I feel like Tony probably got better because pitching got worse as his career went on.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:41 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:46 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
Ha! Classic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 11-15-2022, 05:46 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
Love it lol
Old 11-15-2022, 05:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

i collect historical figures but there I draw some lines -- no Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Castro, or Trump.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
i collect historical figures but there I draw some lines -- no Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Castro, or Trump.
This is where the drama begins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-thriller-michael-jackson.jpg (180.6 KB, 794 views)
Old 11-15-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Same. And I bought the 1956 Topps Adventure set WITHOUT the Max Schmeling card because I like the other boxing cards but have no interest in having a swastika in my collection.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:51 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I collect players and cards I like. I research the players and enjoy the history and the stories behind the game.
I do not truly not buy/or not buy a player based on their politics, behavior, character, etc.
If We did there are many, many players we would not collect. Each does as they do.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-17-2022, 08:17 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrod3 View Post
Same. And I bought the 1956 Topps Adventure set WITHOUT the Max Schmeling card because I like the other boxing cards but have no interest in having a swastika in my collection.
Fully agree with this. At the National the first booth I went to had a table full of nazi cards. Really off putting, especially since I went with a friend who is Jewish. There are some lines to draw and that’s certainly one for me.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:07 AM
Bill Cauley

This idea has never actually crossed my mind before. For me personally, it wouldn't really matter what their morals were/are as they are not benefiting from me picking up the card.

In regards to the lynching rope, that is truly a bizarre concept and now after I submit this post, will likely go down a long rabbit hole trying to research it. It would be interesting to find out the chain of custody of a rope taken from around a murdered person's neck to being cut up and pieces given to a baseball player.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:09 AM
Tim Odeen

this whole thread makes me think of this quote: "The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana."

Personally, I cannot live in a B&W white world, and believe most of us live in gray. Perhaps it's because I'm a teacher, I have to walk into class every day forgetting and forgiving the stupid idiotic things my students (mostly male) do every day. Teenage boys must only have 100 working brain cells, and middle school boys only half that amount.

So, when it comes to cards, I don't usually think of a players value to society. I also came to maturity during the steroid era, so that probably taints my opinion as well.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-30-2022, 11:14 AM
Robert Williams

Lebron James.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:19 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Lebron James.
+1
Old 11-30-2022, 04:48 PM
J0hn H@rper

Avoiding someone entirely? Nope.

Naturally my bias for or against certain players (on and off the field, though never about political affiliations) will lead to focusing more or less on their cards. But never to the point where they affect me enough to ban someone from a collection
Old 11-30-2022, 05:11 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Lebron James.
Because you can't afford them or what?

Trevor Bauer for me. I guess there's a chance he is innocent, and he only beat up that woman because she asked for it, but even that best case scenario doesn't make me want to grab his cards.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2022, 05:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post

Trevor Bauer for me. I guess there's a chance he is innocent, and he only beat up that woman because she asked for it, but even that best case scenario doesn't make me want to grab his cards.
I went to a game last summer at UCLA's Jackie Robinson Field and Bauer's portrait still decorated the outfield fence. Guess they might want to reconsider that one. Even if he didn't do anything criminal...ewww! Not a role model for the UCLA baseball program.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-30-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I would posit that one should look at the evidence, of which there was none that Bauer was guilty and considerable that the allegation was a lie, before assuming guilt but I know how this board feels about using an evidentiary basis
Old 11-30-2022, 06:06 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Collecting versus buying are different things. Would I buy a Barry Bonds card? Yes. Would start a collection of Barry Bonds cards? No.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:26 PM
Jim Caravello

Quote:
Lebron James.
I’d sell my entire collection at a 90% loss before I would own one Lebron card…..and to see an auction where his cards sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars is quite sickening…….IMHO

Last edited by JimmyC; 11-30-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:55 PM

Default Jackie

Were you serious about Jackie Robinson? He's literally the top person I would WANT to collect. I don't think I'm alone here. Not concerned about rumors he may have been a little impolite to a few people or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I know I will never collect OJ Simpson

i note there are a bunch of guys in the the 50s sets that did not have nice things to say about jackie robinson and willie mays as well..
Old 12-04-2022, 09:30 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill4000 View Post
Were you serious about Jackie Robinson? He's literally the top person I would WANT to collect. I don't think I'm alone here. Not concerned about rumors he may have been a little impolite to a few people or whatever.
you misunderstood, i was talking about OTHER players (putting the OTHER players in a bad light in the 1950s that had bad things (racist etc) to say about jackie and willie.... thus there are a some OTHER players that some collectors may not want because of how those OTHER players viewed jackie and mays and others....
Old 12-05-2022, 07:12 AM

Default Jackie

Got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
you misunderstood, i was talking about OTHER players (putting the OTHER players in a bad light in the 1950s that had bad things (racist etc) to say about jackie and willie.... thus there are a some OTHER players that some collectors may not want because of how those OTHER players viewed jackie and mays and others....