NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2024, 05:02 PM
Doug Goodman

Default Ohtani interpreter

Things could get interesting...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...er-fired-theft

Key paragraph :

Initially, a spokesman for Ohtani told ESPN the slugger had transferred the funds to cover Mizuhara's gambling debt. The spokesman presented Mizuhara to ESPN for a 90-minute interview Tuesday night, during which Mizuhara laid out his account in great detail. However, as ESPN prepared to publish the story Wednesday, the spokesman disavowed Mizuhara's account and said Ohtani's lawyers would issue a statement.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:08 PM

Very strange story. I'm trying to think how the interpreter would gain access to large amounts of Ohtani's money. I could see someone trusted stealing possessions they then sold for money, but the news makes it sound like he was spending Ohtani's money.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:10 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

I suspect the truth is closer to the interpreter's account than the Dodgers' account. Admittedly, I don't know what happened, but it was not until lawyers were consulted that this went from "friend helping a friend out of trouble" to embezzlement/theft. If the interpreter was embezzling millions of dollars from his friend/meal ticket, I doubt he would agree to sit down for a two hour interview with the press where he effectively admitted he took Ohtani's money and used it as his own, unless he knew Ohtani had knowledge and consented to it.

The skeptic in me thinks perhaps Ohtani and his buddy were collectively gambling on non-baseball (thinking it was OK or at least "don't ask, don't tell") with the interpreter handling the transactions, and then when it got discovered, created a cover story which would theoretically wall off Ohtani from culpability. When the lawyers got involved and saw that the contrived story was not enough to wall off Ohtani, they created the new story, with the interpreter taking the fall.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:21 PM
Doug Goodman

Every thread needs a "card"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mizuhara HOF Japan.jpg (200.3 KB, 1014 views)
Old 03-20-2024, 06:15 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I bet there is more to this story…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:33 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Let me be the first one……

Say it ain’t so , Oh!!!!!
Old 03-20-2024, 07:16 PM
Rob

Manfred needs to suspend Ohtani until they get to the bottom of this…..even if it takes years!
Old 03-20-2024, 07:44 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Manfred needs to suspend Ohtani until they get to the bottom of this…..even if it takes years!
Amazing, that made me laugh out loud Rob.

Although...

I think that Mizuhara was communicating his bets thru Blake Snell and Logan Webb on alternating days, who then passed them on to either Camilo Doval or Patrick Bailey depending on which alternating day they were on, who then themselves went thru either Yaz, Conforto so it sounds like all eight men should be out until Manfred can pull an Astrogate and ultimately suspend Dave Roberts and probably Bob Melvin and let the other off clean.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Yes, and suspend play of the Giants since they are the likely beneficiaries of any foul play.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:27 AM
octavio ranzola

Never ends
Old 03-21-2024, 08:37 AM
Fred

Bold prediction - the interpreter is covering for Ohtani.

Could you imagine if Ohtani, I mean his interpreter, bet on baseball?
Old 03-21-2024, 08:46 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Bold prediction - the interpreter is covering for Ohtani.

Could you imagine if Ohtani, I mean his interpreter, bet on baseball?
Will love to see what MLB will do if it is found that it was Ohtani gambling. More info I am sure will come out over time.

How will they handle their $700 million man

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-21-2024, 08:54 AM

I've read all the updated articles and I'm still trying to understand where a theft occurred. If Ohtani wired payments to cover losses for his friend, that is not theft. If Ohtani didn't authorize the wires and they were made by the interpreter himself, that would be theft but I don't see anyone accusing him of doing that.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:35 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I've read all the updated articles and I'm still trying to understand where a theft occurred. If Ohtani wired payments to cover losses for his friend, that is not theft. If Ohtani didn't authorize the wires and they were made by the interpreter himself, that would be theft but I don't see anyone accusing him of doing that.
From what I've read and seen discussed on ESPN, the initial reporting was that Ohtani's interpreter said that Ohtani sent 2 wire transfers of $500,000 each to pay for gambling debts of the interpreter. After that, something unknown changed to the story becoming reporting of massive theft. Also, there was mention of other wire transfers having been made and a total amount owed of $4.5 million.

It sounds like maybe the interpreter had access to Ohtani's account and could have been the one who made the wire transfers without Ohtani knowing about them. If so, that would clearly be theft. We'll have to wait and see as more information comes out if this is what happened or if something else is going on.

Last edited by jayshum; 03-21-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:36 AM
Mike

Quote:
Ok. thats what i was thinking also but am so confused on everything i am hearing. At this point you probably cant believe a lot of whats being released to the public, but i'm sure over time the fog over this will become much more clear.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:40 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

My first thought was that perhaps the translator was placing bets for Ohtani. I sure hope that does not turn out to be the case.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
From what I've read and seen discussed on ESPN, the initial reporting was that Ohtani's interpreter said that Ohtani sent 2 wire transfers of $500,000 each to pay for gambling debts of the interpreter. After that, something unknown changed to the story becoming reporting of massive theft. Also, there was mention of other wire transfers having been made and a total amount owed of $4.5 million.

It sounds like maybe the interpreter had access to Ohtani's account and could have been the one who made the wire transfers without Ohtani knowing about them. If so, that would clearly be theft. We'll have to wait and see as more information comes out if this is what happened or if something else is going on.

I process wire transfers for my employer. There is only one way for someone to process a transfer on your behalf without you knowing it. You'd first have to authorize that person as an account signer and authorize that person for ACH and wire transfers. You'd also have to provide that person with their own login to your account (if processing online), provide them with your own personal login information, or authorize the bank to contact the person only on their authorized phone number (to confirm via phone). Otherwise, the bank will call the authorized number on the account to confirm, and they won't be calling you, who is trying to make the wire under the radar. They'd call the account holder who would not authorize the transfer.

It would be an unusual level of authority for an interpreter or a friend to have over another person's personal accounts. The only way you could hide the transfer would be for you obtain ultimate authorization over another's personal accounts, or to impersonate that person using sensitive account information you've gained access to. Again, something that does occur in the world of money management, but not usually among your friends.

Last edited by packs; 03-21-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:01 AM
Matt G

Goes to show, pick your friends wisely people!

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36
Old 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Shinpai nai des. Boku wa nihongo hanashimas. Otanisan wa watakshi no tomodashi des.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:28 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
I process wire transfers for my employer. There is only one way for someone to process a transfer on your behalf without you knowing it. You'd first have to authorize that person as an account signer and authorize that person for ACH and wire transfers. You'd also have to provide that person with their own login to your account (if processing online), provide them with your own personal login information, or authorize the bank to contact the person only on their authorized phone number (to confirm via phone). Otherwise, the bank will call the authorized number on the account to confirm, and they won't be calling you, who is trying to make the wire under the radar. They'd call the account holder who would not authorize the transfer.

It would be an unusual level of authority for an interpreter or a friend to have over another person's personal accounts. The only way you could hide the transfer would be for you obtain ultimate authorization over another's personal accounts, or to impersonate that person using sensitive account information you've gained access to. Again, something that does occur in the world of money management, but not usually among your friends.
So you're saying it would be possible for the interpreter to be making the transfers without Ohtani knowing about them but not easy. If the guy owed that much money, it may have been worth it to him to find a way to be able to do it. Apparently, Ohtani trusted him so maybe he abused that trust to find a way. I guess we'll see as more information comes out.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
So you're saying it would be possible for the interpreter to be making the transfers without Ohtani knowing about them but not easy. If the guy owed that much money, it may have been worth it to him to find a way to be able to do it. Apparently, Ohtani trusted him so maybe he abused that trust to find a way. I guess we'll see as more information comes out.
It is possible, yes, but not without Ohtani giving him the kind of authority you would a money manager or a power of attorney. It would be highly unusual for someone to give a friend that kind of access to their finances if they weren't managing money for them professionally.

Without willingly giving him that kind of authority over his finances, the only other way for someone to make a transfer without involving the account holder is to impersonate them. But we all have our own accounts and we know that you would also need unrestricted access to personal devices (cell phone) or e-mail accounts in addition to a login to retrieve the verification security codes.

Last edited by packs; 03-21-2024 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:10 AM
P.hil €lli$

Default Sell, sell, sell

If I had high value Ohtani cards, I’d be selling them today. Does not look good for Ohtani.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:35 AM
Jay Shumsky

I read that wire transfers to someone involved with illegal gambling would be a crime which could help explain why Ohtani's legal team doesn't want there to be an admitted connection between Ohtani and the wire transfers if Ohtani really did make them.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:39 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
My first thought was that perhaps the translator was placing bets for Ohtani. I sure hope that does not turn out to be the case.
That was my first thought as well.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:40 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:

..yikes!
Old 03-21-2024, 12:19 PM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Will love to see what MLB will do if it is found that it was Ohtani gambling. More info I am sure will come out over time.

How will they handle their $700 million man
You'd probably see Joe Jackson and Pete Rose reinstated immediately.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:30 PM

There is no way a bookie would give him millions in credit without being assured that it was backed by big dollars. Doesn't pass the smell test. Shotime might do time
Old 03-21-2024, 12:49 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

He’s too important to the league .
Probably get the same treatment that big-time gamblers Fred Flintstone and Michael Jordan got - love forever
Old 03-21-2024, 01:07 PM

Shohei is not an American citizen, he is here on a visa that can get revoked for illegal behavior. Another entanglement to ponder
Old 03-21-2024, 01:10 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trublubrucru View Post
Shohei is not an American citizen, he is here on a visa that can get revoked for illegal behavior. Another entanglement to ponder
He's tall enough to cross the Rio Grande.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:13 PM

I think it's best to realistic. Hardly anyone gets in any kind of legal trouble for placing bets. Pete Rose didn't do any time for placing bets. Neither did any of the Black Sox players after throwing the World Series.

Ohtani is not at risk of having his Visa revoked or going to jail. The worst case scenario for him is a lengthy suspension. Baseball rules dictate that a player caught placing a bet on a game he did not participate in can face a ban of one year, which is also the penalty for placing a bet with an illegal bookmaker (which is what Ohtani would entangled in if he bet). A player caught placing a bet on a game they did participate in can be banned for life.

Last edited by packs; 03-21-2024 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:16 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

He may or may not have engaged in betting on other sports that are not baseball. He is not getting deported or going to jail or getting banned from baseball.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:35 PM
Robert J. Miller

I hope he is found guilty of gambling so if he gets a slap on the wrist, then Joe Jackson and Pete Rose should be reinstated.

If he is banned from baseball, then he is suffering the same fate of Jackson and Rose.

If he is found not guilty then ok. But......How much will MLB dig into this. I do not think they want anything to happen to their poster boy. Too much dollars for MLB at risk.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:43 PM
P.hil €lli$

Default Something Fishy

We don’t know yet if he bet on baseball. Of course they said he didn’t. But, their story changed 180 degrees within 24 hours. At first, it was Ohtani paying a debt for a friend, then it changed to the interpreter stole the money from Ohtani (not buying that).
If the interpreter stole money from Ohtani, explain why they were sitting together on the bench for Opening Day yesterday laughing together?
Old 03-21-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
I hope he is found guilty of gambling so if he gets a slap on the wrist, then Joe Jackson and Pete Rose should be reinstated.

If he is banned from baseball, then he is suffering the same fate of Jackson and Rose.

If he is found not guilty then ok. But......How much will MLB dig into this. I do not think they want anything to happen to their poster boy. Too much dollars for MLB at risk.

At worst, he will suffer the same fate as Rose if he did bet on a game he played in. That's written into the rules. But the penalty for betting on a game you didn't participate in, or placing a bet on something else entirely through an illegal bookmaker, is a one year suspension.

Either way, unless he did the exact same things as Rose and Joe Jackson, his punishment will not be the same. I also don't see it as a pathway for them to re-enter baseball.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:02 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

What do you call someone who pretends he's "Shotime" as he unscrupulously transfers the player's money?

Faux-tani.
(Please don't add me to your 'ignore' list.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:17 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
We don’t know yet if he bet on baseball. Of course they said he didn’t. But, their story changed 180 degrees within 24 hours. At first, it was Ohtani paying a debt for a friend, then it changed to the interpreter stole the money from Ohtani (not buying that).
If the interpreter stole money from Ohtani, explain why they were sitting together on the bench for Opening Day yesterday laughing together?

"Sources close to the gambling operation told ESPN that Bowyer dealt directly with Mizuhara, who placed bets on international soccer matches and other sports -- but not baseball -- starting in 2021."

They are not relying on the interpreter, Ohtani, Ohtani's team, or the MLB for the sports being bet on. Ohtani's teams disparate stories do not have anything to do with this part.

I do not believe for a minute this theft story concocted after previous stories had problems, but there does not appear to be any evidence there were bets on baseball.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:46 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
I agree with everything you say.

While Mizuhara is generally described as "the interpreter" and they began as friends, I could very much see his actual job as being more of a personal assistant, in which case having access to all of that info is a very real possibility, especially because of the trust developed thru the friendship.

BUT, the amounts involved would QUICKLY raise red flags to the business management overseeing the accounts.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:48 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
He's tall enough to cross the Rio Grande.
HA!!
Old 03-21-2024, 02:50 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
How much will MLB dig into this. I do not think they want anything to happen to their poster boy. Too much dollars for MLB at risk.
It doesn't matter what MLB does, we are in an age of internet sleuths, and EVERYTHING will eventually come out, albeit facts will be presented in different ways by different people.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:52 PM
Doug Goodman

As long as I'm replying numerous times in a row to my own thread, I would like to mention that I'm a bit bummed nobody has commented on the "card" I posted, or pointed out why I posted it...

Last edited by doug.goodman; 03-21-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:59 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Evidently, this all started coming out during the game. After the game, Mizuhara told the team his original version of what happened. Then, the Dodgers fired him before the second game this morning.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 03-21-2024, 03:07 PM

Two half million dollar wire transfers to a bookie under investigation by the FBI will get you noticed. Looks like now he is falling on the(Samurai) sword for the Big Boss and taking the hit.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
As long as I'm replying numerous times in a row to my own thread, I would like to mention that I'm a bit bummed nobody has commented on the "card" I posted, or pointed out why I posted it...
I believe you posted it because the photographer caught the player in the embarrassing act of pretending to be at bat while having a ball on the ground between his legs.

Brian (I might be misinterpreting the text along the borders)
Old 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I believe you posted it because the photographer caught the player in the embarrassing act of pretending to be at bat while having a ball on the ground between his legs.

Brian (I might be misinterpreting the text along the borders)
Hahahaha
Old 03-21-2024, 05:32 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

This entire situation can be summed up in two words...something stinks.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
While Mizuhara is generally described as "the interpreter" and they began as friends, I could very much see his actual job as being more of a personal assistant, in which case having access to all of that info is a very real possibility, especially because of the trust developed thru the friendship.

BUT, the amounts involved would QUICKLY raise red flags to the business management overseeing the accounts.

That's basically what Daniel Kim said during the second game on ESPN. He mentioned that he had been an interpreter for a while with a MLB player, and the job involved being very much of a "personal assistant". If the player went out, had to open a bank account, was buying a home.....whatever; he (Kim) was there to help guide the player through the process.

Another thing I wonder is.....now that Mizuhara has been fired from his job as Shohei's interpreter, what if any, ties does he still have in the USA? His entire existence was to serve as Shohei's assistant/interpreter. Now that he no longer has his job, will he even come back to the USA? And if not, how will that affect any investigation into what happened?

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 03-21-2024, 07:05 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

How do you short Otani cards?
Old 03-21-2024, 07:07 PM
Bob B.

MLB- "Players, you are not allowed to bet on Baseball"
Also MLB- "Fans, bet on Baseball, (responsibly of course, lol), you don't want to let our sponsors down"
Me- Nothing to see here folks, all seems reasonable, move along.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:18 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I mean what are the odds of this happening???
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.