NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2022, 11:16 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Playing in a smaller sandbox

It is clear to me now that my love of the hobby is taking a different turn from where I traveled in years past. I simply cannot compete without abandoning other obligations– card prices are IMHO obscene, at least when viewed from my social strata. I feel like a journeyman MLBer who got the occasional taste and played alongside some great people but now is old, lacking skills and looking to see if there is a local town team where he can still catch on to play. Throw me into the “should have seen it coming” group. Not bitter, just a little melancholy.

Sooooooo, I would like to hear from folks who have focused their collections on more affordable items. I also would like to see some favorite pre-war cards/items that do not cost a mortgage payment, and maybe hear from those who do not spend the equivalent of a new car or two when there’s a major auction. With all due respect and congrats to those who have them, I have seen my fill of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson, and Honus Wagner cards to last for awhile. I am hoping this thread will shine the light on lesser HOFers and others that we don’t see so often, along with any collecting anecdotes.

Here are a few of mine that I thought were interesting: an 8x10 Geo.Burke of Hall of Famer Ed Walsh’s namesake (who died far too young); an advertising postcard of someone with a claim to fame; another postcard of a HOFer from the year he played against the Black Sox, a seldom seen stamp and a card touting a brewery. As you can see, anything goes:

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:26 AM
Steve

Great post and beautiful items. Great to see another Phoenix/Arizona hobbyist with a love for vintage. When I get time I will try to post some of the Type 1s and wire photos I have of some of the fun players. I have some Greenberg and Berg etc.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:29 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Oddball

Welcome to the world of oddball! It’s fun and much less expensive for the most part! I’ve branched into other sports (hockey, boxing , wrestling, track and field etc) as well as non sports cards of real people famous like politics, inventors, artists, musicians etc. In addition you can find other paper items on baseball and the “major” sports at good prices for things like ads, tickets (sometimes) display pieces, promo items . You will end up like me with the craziest collection of miscellaneous items but not insane values. Start slow and branch out…. collecting is fun and for me it’s not about the “value” money wise , it’s about getting something cool looking, old, and not everybody has it! Good luck!!
Old 08-15-2022, 11:48 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

I understand your sentiment Todd, love the Fenway Baker btw. The advantage I find in collecting cards over 100 year period is that I can always find cards that interest me, sometimes my budget allows for higher dollar purchase, sometimes not. I get just as excited about a small purchase as I do a large one if its a card I want in my collection.

I actually find it cathartic when I lose an auction, case in point, I lost a card last night that I really wanted in my collection, but that card wasn't meant for me at this time and congrats to the winner. I made a run at it and stopped a little above what I was willing to pay for it and that's okay, I'm no better or worse this morning except I do have a little more money in the bank to put towards my next purchase than if I would have won last night. You just have to find something in this hobby that makes you fulfilled and interested.

There were what I consider nice bargains in last nights auction, while I was focused on my strategy to win that one card, I missed out on bidding before the deadline on this one, which I think is just a beautiful baseball card and would have loved to have it in my collection. It went for $300 with the vig and while not inexpensive, it would not have broken the bank.
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gibson.jpg (185.5 KB, 1065 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 08-15-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Your lament is one that drove me away from actively purchasing most vintage baseball cards for over a decade, with a few exceptions. It just pissed me off to be priced out of so much. I have a list of 'should have' a mile long. It also drove me to Exhibit cards 20+ years ago, which has worked out splendidly now that those issues have taken off. I've also always been a fan of oddball stuff. It's just so much more interesting to me than a T card. Regionals, premiums, picture packs, sales stimulators, etc., all were foci of mine over the last 20-30 years, followed a 10-15 years ago by snapshots and photos. Many of these things are lighting up over the last 18 months or so ($31K for a Foxx Exhibit in last night's REA!), but there is still plenty to get on a budget.

I also got into other sports, especially boxing (which I just enjoy watching more than any others), but also FB, basketball, hockey, vintage soccer, and some non-sports too.

I started collecting Carl Hubbell cards recently. His run of dominance in the mid-1930s was epic, yet he receives very little love among collectors. Even was the WAR leader for two years (including position players and pitchers). So, there are first-tier HOFers who don't get the collector admiration that others do. His RC costs under a grand, and many of his cards from the 1930s can be had for under $100 in decent shape.

If you're out for fun, it doesn't have to be big ticket stuff. I get more enjoyment from finding and researching an obscure regional issue than looking at (yet another) T206 Cobb. Not knocking the latter, just not intrigued by it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-15-2022 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:26 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

I went a different route recently Wally Yonamine an American in the Japanese HOF. The bottom card is his rookie 1951 JGA 11 Osato Gangu and the top is a 1952 Bromide with wrapper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yonamine 001.jpg (194.2 KB, 968 views)
File Type: jpg yonamine 002.jpg (189.6 KB, 973 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 02:36 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
With all due respect and congrats to those who have them, I have seen my fill of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson, and Honus Wagner cards to last for awhile.
Hear, hear! THIS is what I'm talking about! THIS gets my vote for post of the year!

And in keeping with that spirit, some cards you don't see every single day, day in and day out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1922 e120 George Toporcer Front.jpg (88.5 KB, 956 views)
File Type: jpg 1922 e120 George Toporcer Back.jpg (101.4 KB, 955 views)
File Type: jpg 1938-39 team issued gowdy front.jpg (92.7 KB, 958 views)
File Type: jpg 1938-39 team issued gowdy back.jpg (78.4 KB, 955 views)
File Type: jpg 1940 play ball travis front.jpg (171.6 KB, 966 views)
File Type: jpg 1940 play ball travis back.jpg (163.3 KB, 964 views)
File Type: jpg 1935 Diamond Stars Stan Hack Front.jpg (75.6 KB, 960 views)
File Type: jpg 1935 Diamond Stars Stan Hack Back 107.jpg (192.6 KB, 971 views)

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 08-15-2022, 02:46 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

1 more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baker 001.jpg (85.8 KB, 947 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 02:51 PM

Canadian and foreign cards have always been underpriced in my opinion. I no longer collect but if I did...

1937 O-Pee-Chee
1930s World Wide Gum
1960s O-Pee-Chee Baseball
1960s-1970s Venezuelan Baseball

Cuban cards are also very fun and can be had on a budget.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:54 PM
Jeremy

I agree with that sentiment. While Ruth, Cobb, Jackson, etc. cards are all beautiful and I usually stare at them in awe, it's the unsung heroes of the game that really fascinate me. I think this is why I like 19th century items so much, there are so many players who fly under the radar and researching them makes them larger than life!

While it wasn't exactly cheap, it didn't break the bank either at sub-400, but this card is quickly becoming my favorite even though it's probably the dirtiest card in my collection. I can't believe he's not in the HOF, but who needs it! His numbers speak for themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img165jm.jpg (201.1 KB, 946 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 03:17 PM

Todd - When I see you at the National maybe, we can complain together that we are priced out of collecting as we have a couple cold ones beer chug.gif
Old 08-15-2022, 03:40 PM

No playing rough and tumble in the sandbox...you might get Mono.

Brian (my smaller sandbox as of late has been mostly using Net54 as a collecting substitute)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t217mono680.jpg (95.6 KB, 895 views)
File Type: jpg t217mono681.jpg (73.2 KB, 886 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Sooooooo, I would like to hear from folks who have focused their collections on more affordable items. I also would like to see some favorite pre-war cards/items that do not cost a mortgage payment, and maybe hear from those who do not spend the equivalent of a new car or two when there’s a major auction.[/IMG]
Well, I started to collect old scorecards, tickets and photos. I guess of those 3, you can still get scorecards of non-historic games and some photos of regular players without breaking the bank, and in great condition. Tickets, well, maybe not so much.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:39 PM

I have a 1906+ graded Cubs collection that may venture into the 1800s one day, but with the way things have been going the past 3-5 years that "one day" is getting further away.

That said, I don't mind mixing lower-end cards with higher-end examples in my collection even if it means passing up many lower-end examples waiting for the right one to come along.

I've managed to snag a good amount of PSA 1.5 - 2 cards that don't look out of place next to a PSA 5.

I'm not in a never-ending hunt to upgrade, either. That part of the chase means I take special care to get a really nice example of a lower-graded card if I choose to go that route with a player.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LowGradedCubs.jpg (193.0 KB, 852 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 05:45 PM
Todd Schultz

Great ideas and showings thus far. I’m sure it will become a matter of refocus, which I have done beaucoup times over the years, so I’m familiar with the process (if not very good at it).

I recently won an auction for a 1962 NBA playoff game between the Pistons and Lakers, because for some unknown reason I have always liked the Pistons and this one had West, Baylor and Gene Shue. That brings my basketball memorabilia collection up to one item. I like nearly all the pre-war minor league sets, and the foreign ones hold interest too– I have a handful of Victor Starffin cards.

Phil, that is a gorgeous Gibson, and $300 is well within reason– heck I can see spending ten times that for a card----very sparingly
Alan, cold ones in Chicago next year. I will probably keep it simple, with no microbrews and no description beyond light or dark.
The stuff mentioned and shown is attractive, although I will confess that collecting cards like Brian’s partial Mono would be an acquired taste for me.

Anyway, here are a few more I have somehow not lost or sold, starting with Starffin:

Each of these were selected not only for type, but because of the player.

Here are some HOFers that I bought for type:

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
The stuff mentioned and shown is attractive, although I will confess that collecting cards like Brian’s partial Mono would be an acquired taste for me.
It is an acquired taste, but hopefully not one that you will end up losing your head over.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e125americancaramelwagner 001 (396x640).jpg (108.0 KB, 792 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 08-15-2022 at 11:31 PM. Reason: added 'hopefully' for added impact
Old 08-16-2022, 11:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here is my big pick up lately. Tom Mix, 1920s, playing baseball. Collecting on a budget! About 8 dollars each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tommix6.jpeg.jpg (198.2 KB, 660 views)

Last edited by Leon; 08-16-2022 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:01 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Great points, Todd

As usual you are among the most thoughtful of us all... I've struggled with plenty of similar feelings without really reconciling them.

Responders above have given some great advice and thoughts. Like some of them, I find it a lot less interesting to look at one more mega-priced Ruth or Mantle card than I do to dig out something really obscure (and hopefully not too pricey).

couple of strategies I've enjoyed:

1. I've picked a little-known but not crazy-expensive set I thought was cool and gone for it. I'm currently closing in on the Blue Ribbon Malt Cubs ansd White Sox, which I think are just beautiful. I am egotistical enough to like the idea that I have one of the few, or the only, complete set anywhere.

2. I have a "player wantlist" where I seek out cards of obscure players that aren't represented in my collection. When I acquire one of them I'll look into his background and career so he comes alive beyond the often thin MLB stat line.

Here's part of the current player wantlist:

M101-1: Bergen, Doyle, Hahn, Hamilton, Lange

E91-C: Hughes

Topping Postcards: Speer

B18: Dolan, Robinson, Dee Walsh, Gus Williams

T204: Jim Ball, Bancroft, Burkett, Kahoe, Murnane, Newton, Reilly

E286 JuJu Drums: Cheek, Mullen

W514: Dilhoefer, Risberg, Shean, Williams

E120/W573: Barnhart, Callaway, Crane, Fuhrman, Johnston, Bob Jones

1923-24 Exhibits: Barnhart

1925 Exhibits: Brooks, Wings [Wingo]

1926 Exhibits: Huber, Munson, Spurgeon

1929-30 Exhibits: Holloway, Richardson

1931-32 Exhibits: Boley, Gooch, Sweeney, Webb

Baguer Chocolate: Boley

R318 Batter-Up: Gabler, Bud Hafey, Mickey Haslin

U1 Matchbooks: Crawford, Goldstein, Roy Haslin, McLaughlin, Muller, Quigley, Rensa, Rip Sewell, Sullivan

U3 Matchbooks Cain, Roy Haslin, Hinkle, Holbrook, Leggett, Michaels, Milligan, Saltzgraver, Tietje
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ribbon lyons.jpg (195.6 KB, 632 views)

Last edited by timn1; 08-16-2022 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:57 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Great idea for a post and great thoughts by those that have chimed in.

The history of the game and finding new information about a long-forgotten ballplayer are some of my favorite aspects of this hobby!

It was with this mind that I began my Zeenut card run. So many players that had long careers that are now largely forgotten.

I have always been drawn the less mainstream stuff and have enjoyed learning about the off-the-beaten-path types of cards & players. It does absolutely nothing for me to see my 1,000th 1952 Mantle or T206 Cobb… zero! Seeing an example of those same players in a crazy rare set, however, does do something for me. Seeing an obscure player from a ridiculously rare set also does something for me. Just a different personality type I suppose and I realize that I am in fact the “strange” one that doesn’t like the “common but collected” sets but prefers the “uncommon but who-cares” sets!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-16-2022, 03:25 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Great idea for a post and great thoughts by those that have chimed in.

The history of the game and finding new information about a long-forgotten ballplayer are some of my favorite aspects of this hobby!

It was with this mind that I began my Zeenut card run. So many players that had long careers that are now largely forgotten.

I have always been drawn the less mainstream stuff and have enjoyed learning about the off-the-beaten-path types of cards & players. It does absolutely nothing for me to see my 1,000th 1952 Mantle or T206 Cobb… zero! Seeing an example of those same players in a crazy rare set, however, does do something for me. Seeing an obscure player from a ridiculously rare set also does something for me. Just a different personality type I suppose and I realize that I am in fact the “strange” one that doesn’t like the “common but collected” sets but prefers the “uncommon but who-cares” sets!
+1 Rhett, and well said. I love the cards and the history behind them. And I cannot afford a mortgage and expensive cards. I am very fortunate, frankly, to have the cards I have.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 08-16-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have collected movie lobby cards for a while. Most of them are relatively cheap and many are very interesting...And an 8 x 10 type one of the same..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gehrigmovie.jpg (188.6 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg gehrigmovie2.jpg (191.6 KB, 537 views)
Old 08-18-2022, 07:56 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I've been focusing on tickets, photos, programs, and random one off stuff now for the last year or so. Really not interested in uber expensive cards at this point. Look at LOTG auction closing Saturday . . . .you can find literally hundreds of cool items, many of them way more unique than a card where there are 100s if not 1000s of documented (how about undocumented?) examples out there. I find the hunt and search effort for cool "unappreciated" stuff is far more satisfying than getting another card. Often after getting a nice card it takes me 3 days before I start bemoaning a nicer example in another auction.

I've also discovered some artists out who do really cool stuff and filled my office with really cool inexpensive baseball art. Here are a few of my recent purchases on that front from an artist from Texas. Message me if you are interested in his stuff. Each of these was under $100!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4159.jpg (97.4 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4158.jpg (83.5 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4157.jpg (105.6 KB, 492 views)
Old 08-18-2022, 10:59 AM
mŞttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I really appreciate this thread. I get a great deal of enjoyment from collecting all kinds of stuff that is old even if not super valuable $$-wise...baseball and other things too:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N172 Van Haltren LQ.jpg (99.4 KB, 455 views)
File Type: jpg Virginia Brights 370 copy.jpg (47.1 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg 1855 cent.jpg (188.5 KB, 459 views)
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 08-19-2022, 04:32 PM

I can’t afford a whole sand box anymore, I had to down size to a plastic bucket. I’ve been reading for awhile from behind the scenes here. I used to be on here fairly regularly and still remember some of the names I see. I thought I had got out of the hobby around 2005, but it seems it was a couple years before that. I found my old user name for this site and my old eBay name as well. Now that I’m thinking about it this site used to be at a different place and if I remember correctly, Leon moved it here after some issues. I used to have a lot of nice cards and to give you a small idea. I had around 20 different Cobbs, full set of e102’s not as nice as (Pete Cauldrons?) Was, is? multiple Ruth’s with a psa2 Collins and McCarthy I sold for $5500 at the time, a few e107’s and a lot of sovereign back t206’s and random Hofer’s just to name a few of many cards. Now after many years away from the hobby I’ve been back collecting for about 2 again. So to walk away for 20 years and come back was a little bit of a shock to me. I found it was impossible to get those raw ex. t206”s for $40 anymore. So after watching the market for a while and still having some knowledge of scarce issues, I started back collecting anything I thought was a good buy. We’ll obviously after some time I had a lot of cards I had no attachment to and to many for the short period I had been back collecting. So after some time I realized I wouldn’t be able to get back the type of collection I previously had so many years before without selling my soul or body parts. It’s funny how it works out sometimes though, cause I am now collecting cards I never did before. Obaks and any thing pre 1900. Even though you don’t see them every day, lower grade Obaks can still be had for a fair price and if I have a little extra money I will try for a little better card by going for a pre 1900 one. The best part of this way of collecting now is that I don’t spend as much time looking at cards I don’t collect anymore, but I still watch the market for prices. Best, Jeff
Old 08-19-2022, 06:49 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Good to have you back Jeff!

There is a place in this hobby for everyone but sometimes we need to refocus and adapt to the new landscape.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-19-2022, 10:53 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I am a die hard set collector and am now struggling with what is my next set I want to tackle. I dont have a huge collecting budget and the thought of paying some of those crazy prices even for some of the star cards from the early to mid 70's, an era in which I originally started collecting, well, it is tough for me to do. Collecting oddball sets or being a singles collector just really doesn't do it for me and collecting memorabilia is just not something I enjoy.

Set collecting feels like an addiction in many ways and it is the collecting passion I feel I want to pursue the most. The sandbox has indeed become smaller. The passion seems to be subsiding as I am just not finding that one set that combines the right mix of interest and affordability for me.

Like someone else said in this thread....not whining...just trying to find my new place in a hobby I have enjoyed for over 50 years. I will find that one "thing" that does it for me and I will, no doubt regain my interest in this awesome hobby.....or should I Say...that one "thing" will likely find me.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:51 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default Sadly the only player to do so while in the majors.

Sadly the only player to do so while in the majors.

Last edited by Directly; 01-27-2024 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:57 AM
Andrew

I’ve been diving into autographs recently as a cheaper way to collect. Sure, they don’t present nearly as nicely as other pieces, but I find it fascinating knowing an actual player interacted with each piece in some way. Besides my Attell auto, none of these were more than $25 apiece
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7A43D444-E6BA-47EB-B9A5-3A3D1044E65F.jpg (201.2 KB, 288 views)
Old 08-20-2022, 11:53 AM
Ben Gehler

I'll try to keep it short and sweet this time; apparently, the previous one violated the "token" timing and I lost the whole dern thang.
I fly in different directions and altitudes than most here; so I appreciate the opportunity to wink at those I fly passed; thank you Todd for this post.
One of my many projects; it's only a Verban card to most; what a cool one for me and my family though.

After Uncle Ed passed, I became curator of his "collection"; he was a keeper of cool; news clippings and game programs. He didn't collect baseball cards but this one (A).
He went to a lot of Cubs games at Wrigley as a kid with his Dad. Sure Verban was his fave but Why?
I don't have the ticket stub to prove it; an Old Timer's Game Program from Crosley Field will have to do. I think that Uncle Ed and his Dad were there, at Crosley, that day; when Verban made "history". (see pic B)
Finally, as I cruised by Bloomington, IL one time; decided to visit the Dental Suites of a,
Dr. Emil Verban, Jr - DDS; youngest son of my subject. I gave him a copy of my research work on this project; along with a PSA9 of 1949 Eureka Stamp of his Dad.
While connecting documentation with dialog, I mention the Crosley Field game;
his eyes light up and he says, "My Mom had the game on radio in the car; I remember, all of a sudden, she begins shouting, over and over:
"He Hit a Homer! He hit a Homer!".
Then he looks at me, eyes still wide;
"... and he hit it off Vander Meer!"

Good Feel, felt. Project Complete.

(A)

(B)

(C)

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

Last edited by benge610; 08-20-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:07 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
As usual you are among the most thoughtful of us all... I've struggled with plenty of similar feelings without really reconciling them.

Responders above have given some great advice and thoughts. Like some of them, I find it a lot less interesting to look at one more mega-priced Ruth or Mantle card than I do to dig out something really obscure (and hopefully not too pricey).

couple of strategies I've enjoyed:

1. I've picked a little-known but not crazy-expensive set I thought was cool and gone for it. I'm currently closing in on the Blue Ribbon Malt Cubs ansd White Sox, which I think are just beautiful. I am egotistical enough to like the idea that I have one of the few, or the only, complete set anywhere.

2. I have a "player wantlist" where I seek out cards of obscure players that aren't represented in my collection. When I acquire one of them I'll look into his background and career so he comes alive beyond the often thin MLB stat line.

Here's part of the current player wantlist:

M101-1: Bergen, Doyle, Hahn, Hamilton, Lange

E91-C: Hughes

Topping Postcards: Speer

B18: Dolan, Robinson, Dee Walsh, Gus Williams

T204: Jim Ball, Bancroft, Burkett, Kahoe, Murnane, Newton, Reilly

E286 JuJu Drums: Cheek, Mullen

W514: Dilhoefer, Risberg, Shean, Williams

E120/W573: Barnhart, Callaway, Crane, Fuhrman, Johnston, Bob Jones

1923-24 Exhibits: Barnhart

1925 Exhibits: Brooks, Wings [Wingo]

1926 Exhibits: Huber, Munson, Spurgeon

1929-30 Exhibits: Holloway, Richardson

1931-32 Exhibits: Boley, Gooch, Sweeney, Webb

Baguer Chocolate: Boley

R318 Batter-Up: Gabler, Bud Hafey, Mickey Haslin

U1 Matchbooks: Crawford, Goldstein, Roy Haslin, McLaughlin, Muller, Quigley, Rensa, Rip Sewell, Sullivan

U3 Matchbooks Cain, Roy Haslin, Hinkle, Holbrook, Leggett, Michaels, Milligan, Saltzgraver, Tietje
Tim, I can help ya on the E91C Hughes.
That is my Mom's maiden name so I took a dive on both Tom Hughes, AL and NL. I have an extra E91, so maybe we can work a good ol' fashioned trade.
We can PM to follow up on that when it works for us both; no hurries on my part; I got ya covered though.

Ben

Old 08-20-2022, 12:39 PM
PeterB

I feel the exact same way. I picked up a lot of raw prewar cards in the 90’s. Today I could never could afford those cards. I’ve been picking up vintage cards of lesser known players just because I like the looks of the card. Getting type cards. At least it keeps me in the hobby.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:45 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Great story Ben, thanks for sharing. Hope you and your family are well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-20-2022, 01:34 PM
Ben Gehler

A small sampling of one of my other side projects;
players from my home state of IL.

Ben

Old 08-20-2022, 03:50 PM
J Stone

Todd (the OP)

I ran into this years ago where I just couldn't afford to keep going in the directions I wanted, so now I'm just concentrating on collecting things from Oakland teams (my home town) mostly A's but also early Raiders, Warriors and of course the hapless but loveable Seals.

And I completely understand the melancholy as I can see the A's are about 3-5 years away from leaving town, leaving Oakland without ANY of the teams that I grew up with.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:09 AM
Michael

Recently I have lowered my "condition tolerance" for the sets I collect. For my type collection, I have adjusted both my condition tolerance and my player tolerance. I can't afford a top-level HOFer in top condition for an E-or T-card type set. So I look for either lower-tier HOFers or semi-stars in presentable condition or lesser-known players in better condition. And sometimes for tougher types, I just look for a nice-looking card of whoever I can get at what I think is a fair price (e.g., one of the E100s in the last LOTG auction).
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 08-22-2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:19 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
Recently I have lowered my "condition tolerance" for the sets I collect. For my type collection, I have adjusted both my condition tolerance and my player tolerance. I can't afford a top-level HOFer in top condition for an E-or T-card type set. So I look for either lower-tier HOFers or semi-stars in presentable condition or lesser-known players in better condition. And sometimes for tougher types, I just look for a nice-looking card of whoever I can get at what I think is a fair price (e.g., one of the E100s in the last LOTG auction).
Exactly! Since things exploded around the time of the pandemic there has been a movement towards altered/authentic graded cards because it’s better to have a card than not to have a card!!!

I also have had to adopt this philosophy… whereas in the past I have avoided such cards now I find it the only way to add certain cards to my collection.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:55 AM
Michael

To be fair, I have not "adjusted" all the way to altered/authentic. I am still looking for numerically graded cards....but I will now take a nice-looking (to me) VG type card rather than EX or higher. But that day may came soon!
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 08-22-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:56 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
To be fair, I have not "adjusted" all the way to altered/authentic. I am still looking for numerically graded cards....but I will now take a nice-looking (to me) VG type card rather than EX or higher. But that day may came soon!
i had no choice! otherwise i can't add to my babe ruth collection...and that'd be sad!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.48.15 AM.jpg (196.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-22-2022, 10:59 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Personally an A would be fine in many cases for me with a rare card. I wouldn’t want a card labeled Altered. That would be a no go.
To each his own as they say. If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring hobby.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

I've gone for less expensive/mainstream items off and on over the years. Never could really justify the pricier things, although I really should have way back.
I've also had times of relative inactivity where I pursue other hobbies.

Another way to approach it is to not consider it a competition.
I have what I have and what I have is what I could afford. Some of it has become more valuable, some hasn't.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:20 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Personally an A would be fine in many cases for me with a rare card. I wouldn’t want a card labeled Altered. That would be a no go.
To each his own as they say. If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring hobby.
I’m not exactly thrilled with the altered label on this one either not sure why they didn’t just call it authentic seeing as it’s supposedly just trimmed?
Old 08-22-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I’m not exactly thrilled with the altered label on this one either not sure why they didn’t just call it authentic seeing as it’s supposedly just trimmed?
I believe they identified the E126 Ruth as 'Altered' because the photographers could not have possibly captured two Babe Ruths in a single photo.

Brian (questions answered at a fraction of the cost of typical question answerers)