NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Sean Brennan

Default BF2 Color question

So I got two more Joe Tinker this week thinking they were the same color and it turns out they are (marginally) different colors so now I am up to seven different colors on Tinker. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what other colors exist on him. Dont worry I wont nag you to buy yours if you have one. I am just curious how many possible colors there are to get.
Thanks!

bf2 tinkers 7.jpg
Old 12-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think there's about a hundred. Should be no problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pbf2judgewagsx3a.jpg (53.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Leon; 12-23-2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added smiley and pics
Old 12-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Sean Brennan

Going through Google searches and auction searches I've only found a pink color besides the ones I have. I find it unlikely there is much more then ten different colors distributed per player

Last edited by milkit1; 12-23-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:57 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

There are quite a few color variations and I don't believe it was particularly purposeful either. There are slightly different shades of a similar color and these differences are not due to fading or anything else. For example, there is a gray, a light blue, and a gray with a slight pinkish hue.

Yes, the Luderus and Archer are different colors. These aren't stand-alone comparisons. There are some that are definitely gray and others that have a slight touch of pink to them (not from fading).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White.jpg (24.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Cream.jpg (33.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Gray.jpg (25.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Pink hue.jpg (24.8 KB, 77 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 12-23-2014, 04:59 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Here are a few more colors you don't have.

I know Larry Fritsch was collecting color variations 20 years ago, but I have no idea what kind of progress he made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pink.jpg (12.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Sisler.jpg (32.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Rudolph.jpg (15.3 KB, 76 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Sean Brennan

yeah my Tinker beige and yellow are quite close but definetly different colors. Im really curious how many of each color they did. Makes me wonder did they just grab random color sheets as they made them or if there is an actual pattern. My favorites Ive seen so far are:
Tinker - cub blue
Joe Jackson - black
Old 12-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Todd Schultz

I would like to hear from Chris S.--who wrote an article in Old Cardboard-- and others who collect them, but I thought every player was at least theoretically possible in each of the colors that any other is found. If so, you've got a lot left. Also, I believe there are slight tint differences in known colors, maybe due to fading or minor production differences in materials, that could give the appearance of even more colors. Finally, it may be that there is no definitive statement of what players are on what colors, so that you're always left to wonder if you have them all. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, and I am by no means an expert, so here's to hoping I'm wrong

EDITED to add: man I'm slow to respond today.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 12-23-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:03 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
yeah my Tinker beige and yellow are quite close but definetly different colors. Im really curious how many of each color they did. Makes me wonder did they just grab random color sheets as they made them or if there is an actual pattern. My favorites Ive seen so far are:
Tinker - cub blue
Joe Jackson - black
I think the black is likely a very dark blue. You don't actually see that many with that color. They're pretty stunning compared to some of the other colors.

And that was my feeling on this set. There were just color variations in the felt and they used what they had. It was just a promo item, so they probably didn't sweat it too much

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Sean Brennan

my gut instinct tells me that they were probably put individually on specific colors thus limiting the amount of colors per players but I dont really know. Here is my Cubs wheel
916 circle.jpg
Old 12-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Todd Schultz

Here's a few of mine that are close to some of what's been shown, and maybe there's scanner explanations, but the yellow is noticeably different than the white when side by side"

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Sean Brennan

very cool! any uncut sheets ever show up?
Old 12-23-2014, 05:13 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I would like to hear from Chris S.--who wrote an article in Old Cardboard-- and others who collect them, but I thought every player was at least theoretically possible in each of the colors that any other is found. If so, you've got a lot left. Also, I believe there are slight tint differences in known colors, maybe due to fading or minor production differences in materials, that could give the appearance of even more colors. Finally, it may be that there is no definitive statement of what players are on what colors, so that you're always left to wonder if you have them all. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, and I am by no means an expert, so here's to hoping I'm wrong

EDITED to add: man I'm slow to respond today.
You're probably right about color availability. While I have noticed a few players tend to show up in certain colors more often than others, it could be possible that each player was available in each color. I haven't seen much rhyme or reason to it.

It would be fascinating to see one of these sheets in uncut form. How many to a sheet? By the time they were done with this promo, did they produce more of player X than player Y? I swear Honus must be the most commonly occurring one in the set while there are some extremely tough "commons." That can't be due just to Honus' popularity because Walter Johnson is a really tough one too.

It's too bad Larry isn't around. I never really tracked color variations. I don't know how seriously he pursued these, but I know he was doing it early on.

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-23-2014, 05:15 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
my gut instinct tells me that they were probably put individually on specific colors thus limiting the amount of colors per players but I dont really know. Here is my Cubs wheel
Attachment 172333
Beautiful! And those are actual color variations, not fading or anything like that. Some of those shades are pretty unique

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Sean Brennan

Thanks!

That white Zimmerman and Vaughn came form a collection of about 12 that were all white. I found that interesting that someone had that many of just that color. Not sure if that means anything though
Old 12-23-2014, 05:26 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Here's a few of mine that are close to some of what's been shown, and maybe there's scanner explanations, but the yellow is noticeably different than the white when side by side"

Those are some really sharp ones too, Todd!

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-23-2014, 06:04 PM

It has been awhile since I collected these. But I never could find any rhyme or reason to color. Nor do I believe there ever was any attempt by the manufacturer to try to produce these based on color. I think he used whatever colors of felt that he had in stock. Different dye lots brought different shades of felt. Looking at my set, I can distinguish about 15 different colors with subtle shades in between. Below are some poor camera shots of some of the colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0603.jpg (71.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0605.jpg (72.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0607.jpg (71.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0609.jpg (72.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0610.jpg (71.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0604.jpg (70.2 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by matty39; 12-24-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Sean Brennan

GREAT SET mATTY! I like how you have them on the wall too! Im going to mat mine with my M101 Cubs set similar to this:
1916 all.jpg

I noticed that once again the only Tinker color I see that i dont have so far is that Pink variation. Dying to know if there are any other Tinker colors out there