NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default grading T3 Baseball Proofs?

Posted By: joe

I sent an email to SGC and they say they don't grade T3 Proof cards. Don't they grade other proofs? Anyway does PSA or GAI grade these?. I'm considering selling the proof and buyng a regular T3 of this player.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 11-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Adkins

I submitted a T205 proof to SGC last weekend in Chicago. The guy behind the table also told me that they do not "grade" proofs anymore. I asked if it was possible to just slab the card as AUTH and was told that he would have to get that approved. Not sure why they have changed their policy on proof cards but I hope they can still be holdered. All my other proofs are in SGC holders and I have more that I would like to send in pending the outcome of this submission.

Shawn

--Edited to add that my other proof cards are all slabbed as AUTHENTIC, none have a numerical grade. All I wanted was to have it in their slab, a grade is not necessary to me which is why I was kind of stunned that they would not be willing to even authenticate these cards going forward.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I wish they would change the policy on this too. I have talked to Dave Foreman about this a couple of times in relation to a card I have and he has said they are considering it, but that no new policy has been made. He told me to check in periodically. I don't know if this is the issue with your T3, but mine is most likely hand cut and I think this is what is troublesome as far as issuing a numerical grade goes. I think that if they are grading hand-cut strip cards, why not hand-cut proofs. Perhaps they will change their minds soon.
JimB

Old 11-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator

I'm pretty sure mine is not handcut, I think the proofs were manufactured the same as the regular cards. So, does GAI or PSA grade these with a numerical number? If I do sell this card I want to get the most out of it.

Thanks joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 11-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

JOE - I've been searching for T3/T9's on eBay for a few years and
have assembled a near set so far and have yet to see a Proof slabbed
by PSA. Maybe they have, and no one has offered it on eBay, but I
haven't seen 1 yet in my daily Turkey Red searches.
Try contacting GAI, they are more liberal for slabbing issues that
PSA/SGC won't slab. Only problem is their Turkey Red holders are
big & bulky, but its better then nothing...jay

Old 11-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Thanks for info Jay, I did contact PSA and GAI, no answers yet.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 11-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

As proofs are often handcut and have printer's writing on them, a 1-10 grade may or may not be appropriate. For example, if the writing was put there by the printers as part of the proofing process, does the grader deduct grades for the writing? If the borders are unevenly handcut, how does the grader grade that? The uneven cut is an original part of the proof yet may be aesthetically deserving of a grade 1 Poor. If one gets a proof authenticated without grade, that should be sufficient-- and a learned collector would understand that a proof may not receive a 1-10 grade as it's a production item not a finished card.

It's not unlike a PSA/DNA encapsulated Joe DiMaggio autographed index card. Some collectors might have PSA/DNA give the card a 1-10 grade along with the authentic designation, but most collectors will find nothing amiss if it only has the AUTH. The collectors' prime concern is authenticity. If the sig has been graded AUTH only, potential buyers will be trusting of the seller's description of condition especially when a nice image accompanies.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

I believe that all of the T3 proofs were hand cut.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Hello Harry, do you have documentation to show that all T3 Proofs are handcut, if so can you post the information.

Thanks joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 11-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joseph

I have owned 3 T3 Proofs , all common players and they were not cut by hand. I also have seen other T3 Proofs and I would say they also were not cut by hand.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

I believe that all of the T3 proofs were discovered at one time. I believe in the Detroit era. As far as I know, all are one of a kind. From my unerstanding, they were all hand cut. Maybe some were cut better than others. From the few that I have seen (Tik had a few), they were definitely hand cut.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I tried to win the T3 Proof of Walter Johnson a number of years ago. Whether it was cut by hand or factory, the cut was straight and neat-- at least as far as I saw in the scan. A T3 proof cut doesn't have to be ragged. The Johnson had the tell tale crosses in the borders.

Trading card proofs often are handcut, but they don't have to be.

I beleive a lot of the more modern proof cards, like 1970s Topps and Hostess, were cut years after the fact from sheets. The cuts are sharp and professional, and it may have been Topps that cut them. I beleive they were cut to offer as singles, or player sets, to the public. The final 1970s Hostess/Twinkies cards, of course, were printed on the product box and not issued factory cut.

For a while, major graders were hesitant to grade these Topps and Hostess proofs, not because they doubted the authenticity, but because of how they were cut. Though since then I have seen these types of proofs graded.

For proofs in general, and for these Topps/Hostess proofs in particular, I think a AUTH grade is sufficient. I see no need ever for a proof to ever have a 1-10 grade. As the Topps/Hostess were professionally cut after the fact, grading the cut of the edge is a bogus affair. And as many proofs have rough handcut edges, a razor sharp edge isn't something a proof collector should pine for. It's like pining for a game used football jersey that looks as if it was never worn.