NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default How many native-born HOF autos do you have?

Georgia has only six native Hall-of-Famers. l have had Frank Thomas for a while and just picked up Bill Terry and Johnny Mize.

The other three, however, are far out of my financial reach:

Cobb, Jackie, and Josh

How many native HOF autos do you have?

Bill Terry Auto.jpg
Johnny Mize Auto.jpg
Old 06-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Ben North

Very cool, I had never thought about collecting players from my home state. Without researching it I think Sparky Anderson is the only person in the HOF from South Dakota.

We do have 4 current players Sean Doolittle, Justin Duchscherer, Mark Ellis, and Jason Kubel. Former player Kerry Lightenberg is from here and is my sister is laws cousin.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:48 PM

Default Lightningbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Very cool, I had never thought about collecting players from my home state. Without researching it I think Sparky Anderson is the only person in the HOF from South Dakota.

We do have 4 current players Sean Doolittle, Justin Duchscherer, Mark Ellis, and Jason Kubel. Former player Kerry Lightenberg is from here and is my sister is laws cousin.
Member of one of the all-time best top-to-bottom bullpens!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Peter F

Default Interesting Idea

I also never thought about collecting HOFers by my home state - but of the few signed cards I own I do have one player that checks-in from the great state of New York. The Fordham Flash is from the Bronx, I'm from Brooklyn.

When I acquire a signed card of Brooklyn-born Willie Keeler, I'll post it in this thread too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frisch 001.jpg (64.5 KB, 131 views)
Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Alex

HOF players from Florida might not be doable.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
HOF players from Florida might not be doable.
Not sure how many are in the HOF but Florida has had 460 guys that made it to the majors. Did not notice till I looked at the list, one of my favorite players Tino Martinez was born in Tampa. He is one of my favorites because I went to a lot of Yankee games when he played there and at the end of every inning he would throw the game ball to a kid in the stands and I do mean every inning. A total class act in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Not sure how many are in the HOF but Florida has had 460 guys that made it to the majors. Did not notice till I looked at the list, one of my favorite players Tino Martinez was born in Tampa. He is one of my favorites because I went to a lot of Yankee games when he played there and at the end of every inning he would throw the game ball to a kid in the stands and I do mean every inning. A total class act in my opinion.

Think was a great player. I think he got a raw deal with the Marlins.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Bill Gregory

I've never thought of pursuing this. What a cool idea. Unfortunately, I'm thinking completing an autograph collection of the 4 native Wisconsin Hall of Famers is pretty much impossible. Once you see the names, you'll know why: Al Simmons, Kid Nichols, Burleigh Grimes and Addie Joss.

I've seen examples from Simmons. He's signed photos, balls, and the occasional baseball card. And of course there are checks that he signed.

Kid Nichols isn't that difficult. I've seen cut autos of his. Also, signed index cards that have been authenticated by JSA and PSA/DNA.

The same can be said for Burleigh Grimes. He lived until 1985, when he was 92 years old. Several examples of his signature exist.

The toughie (and I'd say "toughie" is an understatement) is Addie Joss. I have never seen an example of his signature, and I'd say it would be near impossible for a private collector to obtain. I don't even know if an exemplar exists. As difficult as Shoeless Joe Jackson's signature is to acquire, I'm betting the Joss autograph makes the Shoeless Joe sig look almost common. Joss is the one that makes completing this set of 4 pretty much impossible.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:48 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Lots of CA HOFers, especially considering guys who moved there as kids like Jackie Robinson, Rickey Henderson, Willie Stargell, etc. I've got a handful of them, but am a bit ashamed I still don't have any sigs of SF HOFers- Joe D, Harry Heilmann, Joe Cronin, Lefty Gomez, Tony Lazzeri.

Here are the CA guys I've got scans of...

1935 Diamond Stars Ernie Lomardi signed.jpg1939-1946 Salutation Exhibits Ted Williams signed.jpg1940 Play Ball Doerr signed BVG.jpg1957 Topps Frank Robinson signed.jpg
Drysdale and Snider on a Dodgers ball..
1957 Dodgers signed ball Drysdale.jpg1957 Dodgers signed ball Snider.jpg

Also have sigs of Stargell, Rickey Henderson, Joe Morgan, Bob Lemon, Seaver, but no scans or pics. I would love to add old D Stars or Goudeys of Lazerri, Gomez, Cronin and a nice Dimaggio ball at some point if anyone's selling!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Wayne Walker

Exactly one born in my home state of Colorado: Rich "Goose" Gossage.

I met him and got his auto at a book signing. Cool guy and personalized it to me.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 06-15-2014, 11:05 PM

Default To Alex & Ben-

Three native Floridians:

Steve Carlton
Andre Dawson

- and the tough one

Pop Lloyd