NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2021, 09:37 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Expect crickets. My guess is that the National will be cancelled.
I can see it being moved to October, but another cancellation would surprise me. Illinois is opening up.

That is always subject to change, but it is trending well here.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 05-04-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
I can see it being moved to October, but another cancellation would surprise me. Illinois is opening up.

That is always subject to change, but it is trending well here.
I saw they gave the OK for the Chicago Auto Show July 15-19 in downtown Chicago. That is a good sign for the National to go off as planned.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:37 PM
Rich Klein

Here's the release referred to. No guarantees but a great sign!

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...kpLxrwJ1occtQk
Old 05-04-2021, 03:16 PM
Johnny MaZilli

If people can sit three deep, elbow to elbow, aboard a commercial aircraft for a 5hr direct cross county flight fully masked why can’t the National happen at Full Capacity.

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-04-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
If people can sit three deep, elbow to elbow, aboard a commercial aircraft for a 5hr direct cross county flight fully masked why can’t the National happen at Full Capacity.
...with recirculated air in the plane, no less.

I've stopped counting the number of discrepancies and contradictions enacted within my home state. And despite this, the current infection rate here is higher than most of the free states which have far fewer restrictions.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:38 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Illinois is way backward as far as events is concerned. Texas has been holding booming card shows for over a year with people shoulder to shoulder and everyone having a great time and wearing masks. Mall shows have been good, although they are not as heavily attended as the hotel shows. No restrictions on attendance that I am aware of. There is no reason for them to limit capacity other than those of the Fire Marshal in Chicago. It should go on with no restrictions unless they just want to control the masses, which is very possible.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:44 PM

Rich -- Obviously, this is fantastic news, but for the National to actually come off, we would need the state to be in the phase 5 stage. The "bridge to phase 5" stage would not be practical due to the limits on attendance. Can the National Committee move forward with the show not knowing if phase 5 will be reached in July? Hopefully the June 1 indicators will point to a July phase 5 unlimited opening.

Rich, I am convinced that the National Committee has all of our interests and safety in mind. If we can reach phase 5 in July, let's have the best National ever held and break all attendance records.

BTW I am already preparing for this year's event and would be SO DISAPPOINTED if it has to be rescheduled.

Steve
Old 05-04-2021, 03:52 PM
Tony Gordon

Stephens Center is opening up in July -- Woot!

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/202...s0r0BgPGW8OGbc
Old 05-04-2021, 03:57 PM

Tony, Such great news. I am really feeling optimistic that we will have a National in July this year. Steve
Old 05-06-2021, 07:24 AM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
At this point, that's actually the goal. Pritzker, Lightfoot, etc. are all explicitly stating "full" reopening by July 4.

Strict mask regulations and cabin air filters reduce the risk of outbreaks on flights to almost zero. So my question to DSCC is what exactly is in place air-filtration wise. Didn't the legionnaires disease disaster back in 1976 force convention halls to upgrade HVAC systems? Everyone from the Village will make small talk, but I get ghosted when I ask about firm dates and maintenance work.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:40 AM

It's hugely expensive to upgrade HVAC. My place of work is about 30,000 square feet and it cost almost $45,000 to upgrade our system over last summer.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:58 AM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
It's hugely expensive to upgrade HVAC. My place of work is about 30,000 square feet and it cost almost $45,000 to upgrade our system over last summer.
Indeed. I've found confirmation of a new filtration system at the Theatre and DSCC here, very good news. https://rosemont.com/rosemont-reinvi...vid-19-tunnel/