NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2020, 01:59 PM
Anson

Default Paying for the card, not the holder?

We've all heard the saying, "Buy the card, not the holder". Most of us look for cards with superior eye appeal for the grade. Let's face it, there's a ton of variability within numeric grades, especially in the low-mid range stuff. But, I wonder if people also pay for the card, completely minimizing the consideration of the holder.

I ask because it seems many sellers are pricing their graded cards based on the first-glance appearance and not the actual numeric grade. I'm willing to pay a premium for a well-centered card with exceptionally high visual appeal for the grade. But, I'm not willing to pay for a 6 when the card still grades a 4. I'm also not willing to pay a huge premium for a "sharp" or "crisp" Authentic altered card over a numerically graded one.

What is your rule of thumb in this space?
Old 05-14-2020, 02:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
We've all heard the saying, "Buy the card, not the holder". Most of us look for cards with superior eye appeal for the grade. Let's face it, there's a ton of variability within numeric grades, especially in the low-mid range stuff. But, I wonder if people also pay for the card, completely minimizing the consideration of the holder.

I ask because it seems many sellers are pricing their graded cards based on the first-glance appearance and not the actual numeric grade. I'm willing to pay a premium for a well-centered card with exceptionally high visual appeal for the grade. But, I'm not willing to pay for a 6 when the card still grades a 4. I'm also not willing to pay a huge premium for a "sharp" or "crisp" Authentic altered card over a numerically graded one.

What is your rule of thumb in this space?
I always buy the card and not the holder. I don't care what a 6 went for....if the 3 looks better I will pay that or more. I am not a registry guy though
Old 05-14-2020, 02:32 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

I'm admittedly all over the place on this. Depends on every single card. how much I want it. how rare it is; etc. I have zero steadfast rules about price vs grade; which I guess means I value grades very little; but still go after the sharpest version of whatever I can afford - which also generally leads to higher grade stuff (albeit on less popular issues)
Old 05-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Similar to last post

For rare stuff - the holder it's in matters A LOT less to me although has helped me at times because imho PSA actually under-grades certain things horribly.

For more common cards I echo your sentiment - I have no problem paying a premium for an exceptional looking card for its numeric grade, but will not pay for the next grade up because if I am patient I theoretically could find one of those "nice" for its grade as well if I wanted to spend more.

The "A" is a really interesting question. I was just thinking about this yesterday. There is a high profile card listed for sale that is an "A". Outside of the fact that it is likely trimmed, it is a fantastic looking card. I took a look at the low grades of the same card for sale/sold. Need to get to like a "5" level to find a card visually as nice - a 5 is about 4-5X the price that is being asked for the "A". It is tempting, but I am dissuaded largely by how shunned these are in the marketplace. I looked at the 1's and 2's and 3's and wouldn't consider buying them at all because of how visually poor they are. I don't ignore the marketplace when making decisions - so as tempting as it is (and aesthetically incredibly more pleasing than the lower graded copies), I don't buy "A" cards.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:24 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Authentic

I have never bought "A" cards but have been tempted..... I certainly have some cards in my collection that have been altered somewhere along the line but not by me. What about the grading of cards that used to be in the screwdown holders getting an A even though they are otherwise just fine? To me, that would make a good example of a card I could easily live with.....
Old 05-14-2020, 03:48 PM
Robert Williams

I have had "A" cards get graded by other graders. No doctoring. Just cracking out and resubmitting. Graders can get it wrong.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:49 PM
Matt

I agree with Leon.

I've long been a believer in card over holder and the individual's eye trumping what some grader at a TPG says. So I have no problem paying say 5 money for a 1 or 2 if the card looks the part. In such cases it's usually a special freak specimen in question so it all comes down to the specific card.

Last edited by MattyC; 05-14-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:57 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I have had "A" cards get graded by other graders. No doctoring. Just cracking out and resubmitting. Graders can get it wrong.
I would guess that is the outcome the buyer who paid $26000+ for this grade A Nagurski is hoping for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-Nation...rdt=true&rt=nc
Old 05-14-2020, 04:12 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
I would guess that is the outcome the buyer who paid $26000+ for this grade A Nagurski is hoping for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-Nation...rdt=true&rt=nc
That card doesn't look trimmed to me, but what do I know.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:58 PM
Mike P.ap

Default bottom left (both borders)

looks pretty funky, the corner wear does not match the edges, whole lower left area stands out but what the heck do I know?

Peace, Mike
Old 05-14-2020, 10:07 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I would guess it's the bottom border that was deemed trimmed.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:20 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
That card doesn't look trimmed to me, but what do I know.
Then I sure as hell hope you haven’t been bitching about the tpgs missing the micro trim jobs that are actually well done.

Last edited by glynparson; 05-15-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:24 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Then I sure as hell hope you haven’t been bitching about the tpgs missing the micro trim jobs that are actually well done.
I beg your pardon?? Do you have me confused for another member?
Old 05-17-2020, 07:10 AM

Here’s one I bought recently that fits the bill. It crossed at PSA as a 1 which was expected. The eye appeal is very sharp!

1-A59-A9-B6-317-C-4-EE6-9082-E66850-AD8-A99
2501-CD5-B-5-A6-C-43-AB-8455-049-AECCAD0-C4
Old 05-17-2020, 08:39 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PRICE-1...cAAOSwLDZeoOAz

I always buy the holder when the seller does not accurately list the card and there is the opportunity to make a no risk profit - even if it is just a small profit. This happens more often than you would think. For example, I recently purchased this 1960 Topps Hank Aaron for a mere $70.00.

Notice that the listing says it was a BVG 4. However, the holder indicates it is a 5 (and it was). I already had this card and didn’t need another one. But, couldn’t pass up the opportunity to earn some Ebay bucks and free money when I flip the card. Win-win.

To answer the main question: I’m primarily a collector and do not worry too much about the holder’s grade. My rule of thumb is to not pay more than the next grade up’s price. So, I’m willing to pay a middle of the road 5’s price for a superior looking 4. My two cents.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I would guess it's the bottom border that was deemed trimmed.
The top and bottom looked bad with a quick look at the front. Then I looked at the back..... I think all four sides are trimmed.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:05 AM
Joe

I could care less about the grade. I have 1’s that look like 7’s and 5’s with a undetectable surface wrinkle that looks like a 10. I have 1’s with back damage ( I could care less about the back ) that are razor sharp that looks like 9’s so yes buy the card if you like it.
One other thing, TRIAPD

The Registry Is A Powerful Drug.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:05 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Wide variance in 1s.

The answer is the condition grade is an assessment of everything about the card. As Old Judges with good versus bad image qualities show, grade doesn't cover everything.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:12 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Wide variance in 1s.

The answer is the condition grade is an assessment of everything about the card. As Old Judges with good versus bad image qualities show, grade doesn't cover everything.
Good example... And sometimes it doesn't cover anything (that a collector would care about).