NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2020, 04:46 PM
Craig Diamond

Default T3 Turkey Red - New Front / Back Combo - Rhoades

Hello,

I’ve focused on collecting T3 Turkey Reds for over 25 years now. I’ve completed a few sets including what is now shown as a 100% Master Set on the PSA website. I’ve bought, owned and sold over 1000 T3s and looked at 1000’s more. As the years have gone by, I’ve focused on rarities which come in the form of the most difficult regular issue card (Rhoades), to variations like Dool”in” and Tenney NY & Bos, to difficult front/back combinations (no ad backs, etc).

Today I found a card that I’ve never seen before, didn’t think existed, but have continued to search for over the last two decades plus.

The T3 Rhoades with the Turkey Red advertising back.

Rhoades has always been considered the most difficult regular issue. Part of its scarcity coming from the theory that it was a short print of sorts having only been issued during the first part of the second series (with a checklist back) and not being printed in the last part of the second series (with the advertising back).

Any Rhoades T3 is a rare card. Here’s one that’s just a bit rarer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7D3605B1-F6E6-42E4-9CB8-288393D0A0DB.jpg (9.1 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg 953995A8-2D5B-4784-9A4C-B82586DF6372.jpg (10.3 KB, 416 views)
Old 04-26-2020, 04:50 PM
D@ve Se@born

Default Congrats

Great info on this important set. Congrats on finding it after such a long search.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:54 PM
Doug Goodman

Congrats on a fantastic find.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:55 PM

Default Congrats Craig!

Congrats Craig on that awesome find!

Patrick
Old 04-26-2020, 05:29 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Thanks Craig for posting the back, the auction house never would have!

I've thought that since his name was misspelled, nobody knew who ihe was to order him.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-26-2020, 05:47 PM
qualitycards

Craig, great pickup.
Glad to see you're still chugging away at the set.
I got rid of mine years ago.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:50 PM
Scott M.

Craig,

Great pickup and great information on the set!

I had a T3 Rhodes once but sold it over 10 years ago. I went back to double check my scans of the card and, sure enough, it was the more "common" checklist back.

Always neat to see a previously unconfirmed card/back combination like this come out of the woodwork to be discovered by the hobby.

Thanks for sharing it!
Old 04-27-2020, 07:22 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Great find, Craig!

On a side note, I am 8 cards away from finishing my “set” (not paying attention to different backs!)...they have dried up the past three years after multiple set breaks seemed to hit the market and I was able to be choosy about no creases vg-Ex+ condition cards. Anyone else notice this? Most auctions have had very few cards or just some major stars, and condition has been challenging where more readily available.

Paul
Old 04-27-2020, 08:37 AM
George E.

Default book

I'd love to see a high-quality full-size scan picture book of the T3s. Large issues like these (and the Butterfingers and Sporting News premiums) would make great books. The T3s are the best of them all.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:17 AM

Congrats on the find!
Old 06-14-2020, 11:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice find, Craig. This kind of information helps keep collecting interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3s View Post
Hello,

I’ve focused on collecting T3 Turkey Reds for over 25 years now. I’ve completed a few sets including what is now shown as a 100% Master Set on the PSA website. I’ve bought, owned and sold over 1000 T3s and looked at 1000’s more. As the years have gone by, I’ve focused on rarities which come in the form of the most difficult regular issue card (Rhoades), to variations like Dool”in” and Tenney NY & Bos, to difficult front/back combinations (no ad backs, etc).

Today I found a card that I’ve never seen before, didn’t think existed, but have continued to search for over the last two decades plus.

The T3 Rhoades with the Turkey Red advertising back.

Rhoades has always been considered the most difficult regular issue. Part of its scarcity coming from the theory that it was a short print of sorts having only been issued during the first part of the second series (with a checklist back) and not being printed in the last part of the second series (with the advertising back).

Any Rhoades T3 is a rare card. Here’s one that’s just a bit rarer.