NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Default What if grading companies could do this???????

Posted By: David Davis

What if grading companies, particularly PSA, could apply their DNA/permanent invisible mark technology to cards? Assume for the moment that absolutely no harm could come to the card. A mark that could be scanned and denote the grade, cert #, etc. Or, printed so small but can be seen under a 20x loupe, or something to that effect. This way if a card was cracked to be improved, the company would know it was already altered. In addition, if a card has been identified as trimmed, they could mark that as well.

Would you be willing to purchase cards that way? Would you be willing to re-submit some of your own cards to receive this new mark?

Just some food for thought!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

paranoia that someone would be able to steal the technology of printing on the card would exist.

Rob

Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

While that would help "clean up" the industry, I'm not sure what value it would add to a seller or buyer.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I would not like this at all. Not even getting into the whole issue of whether adding some invisible mark or tiny printing is, in itself, an alteration, I wouldn't want the mark / printing. At the end of the day, PSA / SGC / GAI is just offering one opinion - and aside from that, the grade is just the opinion of the grader who looked at the card. If PSA says a card is a 7 and I crack and submit it to SGC and they say it is an 8 and I crack and submit to GAI and they say it is a 6 and I crack and submit to PSA or SGC again and they say it is a 9 - who was right? If PSA marked the card the first time, who's to say that PSA and that particular grader was right? What is they made a mistake and the card is really a 6 or an 8 or 9?

Old 11-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Why not have grading companies be able to identifying alteration, so no matter how many times you submit it they can identify the alteration.

If a grading company grades it once one way and the second time another way, neither grading opinion can be considered terribly reliable, much less worthy of the implanting of a microscopic sonar tracking device for deep sea travel. If the grading company doesn't see alteration the second time that they supposedly saw the first time, maybe their ability to identify alterations should be debated. And how do you get to the conclusion that the first of multiple opinions is the correct one?

Though I agree it would be appealing if a collector could determine if a card had been graded more than the once.

Many fine diamonds have tiny laser codes on them. This is in part to determine what country a diamond originated from.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

terrible idea.

sounds like you are asking if it is okay for PSA to tamper with my cards.

Invisible or not, tiny or not - it is tampering.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Not a good idea IMHO. Plus, there is no guarantee that the invisible ink will not damage the card at some point.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Suppose a klutz spills the bottle...

Peter C.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

How do you tell if invisible ink spills ?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

the bottle is empty?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Aren't they already doing this on Autographed Balls? People don't seem to have a problem with that.

If it is small enough (like on the diamonds) I'd be all for it..

Matt

Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

There are marking/identification systems that involve taking microscopic pictures of art or whatever. The item can be verified later and there are no inks, marks or such applied to the object.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

Just a thought. The grading companies should get software that recognizes the card similar to what they use to scan faces. The software should be able to pick out the card in their database quickly. All they would have to do is scan each submission front & back at high resolution. Might work. (?)

Old 11-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I would just like honesty and integrity throughout.Iam sure pockets are lined and there is way too much money invovled within.

Secondly- I would like a skaters grade....like a 5.5 5.7 6.1 get the picture?.....Ihave some stunning 5's that need MAJOR explanation other then Tinker had a booger hanging from his nose.....not acceptable.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

So the idea here is to let the grading companies alter the card with a mark indicating the card is not altered???

Old 11-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

What would be funny is if you found three different DNA samples, one stating the card has been trimmed, another DNA sample stating the card has had a crease removed and the last DNA sample indicating the card is a PSA8.

You could have three different opinions on a card and none of them be accurate. Unless something/someone is 100% or 99.999% accurate there will always be questions about certain cards in certain holders. I would still like to see everyone of the HARRIS COLLECTION cards be brought back for evaluation. How the heck could a card with a crease have a grade of 5. I'd venture to guess that there were a few of those Harris cards that were trimmed.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Administrator

These verification ideas are starting to remind me of the Woody Allen movie Bananas, where the dictator of a small Latin American country went crazy from his power. He decreed that the all citizens were required to change their underwear only on Tuesday. And so this can be verified, everyone had to wear their underwear on the outside of their pants.