NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default Mastro and REA both up and running...

Posted By: rob

...I can't bid fast enough. This is the fun part when you can get some "high bids", then watch them slowly slip away

Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I put my Mastro bids in this morning and it was painfully slow. I think they were in overload.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

My REA bids are in for the first items on my "really, really want list --now to bid on the "I would love to have at this price" list-------the process was very fast with quick confirmations !!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Old 04-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

we should see some crazy prices for these cards in the auction?
I am sure i will bid on some lots but will never be able to compete with the "big boys".

Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

You guys better knock it off before the government sees all that money and raises taxes! (Just a joke! A bipartisan joke! Please don't take it the wrong way as I will drown in guilt if I've started a political thread.)

--Chad

Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I'm still in the lead!

Thanks for the earlier help with getting on board, Leon.

all the best,

barry

Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Although I would ordinarily not wish to be outbid, in the case of REA Lot # 1594 it would please me to be outbid. It felt good bidding on this Net 54 Vintage Lot.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

I just put a couple dozen bids in the Americana auction. Headed over to the sports auction right now.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Mastro is already up to Current Auction Totals: $2,572,422 and the auction's only been open up 4 hours !!!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Is anyone else having problems putting lots into their watchlist over at REA?

Old 04-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

That's $514,484.40 in buyer's premium alone. Not bad for four hours work

Old 04-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Is it possible to withdraw a bid in the Mastro auction? I have been following one lot closely and it just dropped by about 50%. I'm glad it did, since I like the card, but I didn't think this could happen.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Administrator

That generally occurs when they have an error in the catalog description. They may call the high bidder and allow him to retract his bid. Then they would go to the next high bidder and offer him the same option. Check and see if there is an addendum to the lot description.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I don't see any addendum. Perhaps someone made a mistake and was allowed to withdraw the bid.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

This issue has been debated at ad nauseam, but can someone please try and convince me why I should pay the $75.00 extortion fee to Mastro, for the so called right to bid for one of their items? There are several items I want, but simply out of principal, I cannot pull the trigger, and pay the fee. It has no bearing on affordabilty, I can afford it, easily. But simply out of principal. If anyone can give me any type of rational as to why I should fork it over, I am listening. I fully intended on winning also.....

Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...is if they are selling something that you want and can't get anywhere else. That is why I paid the fee for the first time this year.

For whatever its worth, I was glad to hear it is a lifetime membership fee incurred only once.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

I buy many things from many people that I can't get anywhere else, or where it takes ten years or more to find. They don't extort addition funds from me, simply for the pleasure of paying them more money. I just found something this month, I have been looking for for about 10 years. that arguement doesn't sway me. Any more?

Old 04-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Mike,

I labored over the same issue today. Why should I pay $75 or
75 cents for that matter for the right to bid and pay them a 20% buyer's premium if I win? Unless a highly desireable item that I have been searching out for quite some time comes up, I will not be bidding. REA has plenty of nice material.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Do they ever waive the fee for people who are about to place significant bids? I understand they can't send catalogs out to people who just like looking at the pictures, but if you plan to drop 100K in their auction seems like they might cut you some slack. However, you will have to take it up with them.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator

I won't be bidding either. There are two items I really wanted, and based on my past habits, no one was going to out bid me. Trust me. but I simply have to draw the line somewhere. Not a matter of dollars, but out of principal. I know mastro doesn't care, because someone else will win them, and pay them. I can guarentee you though, I would have outbid them. These two items were right up my alley, as they say.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

A couple of years ago I bought an item I've never seen anywhere else and I got it for a reasonable price---so I am glad I ponied up the $75. If you want another theory, here is one: the $75 entrance fee could keep out a number of people who refuse to pay $75 to bid. By lowering the number of bidders, the prices would stay lower than it would have if everyone had bid. (One big problem with the theory is that demanding a high entrance fee would tend to admit bidders with lots of jack).

Old 04-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Administrator

I guess one of the things that makes Mastro what it is, is that many of the items are top notch, one of a kind, rare, call them what you will. So as you say it requires "Lots of Jack". So therefore that is the type of folks that are going to be attracted. if you're going to play, you got to pay, as they say. I said earlier, it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual $75.00. I own my own investment company, and it does quite well. But back to the topic at hand. Mastro can do as they wish. I will just have to find someone else who wants to do business the "right" way. A recent problem though, I haven't been able to get a fix lately. There hasn't been anything on e bay for weeks, that I want....Bummer.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Here’s another Mastro head scratcher. Has anyone ever wondered in today’s age of theft and dishonesty. Why Mastro would ship boxes of won lots with bold labeled tape all over them that say “Mastro Auctions”???

Doesn’t take a genius to look up Mastro auctions online and see the countless amount of items worth thousands of dollars being shipped via the mail, add that with just a dash of dishonest postal employee, or door man and bye bye item….

Old 04-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

I'm looking at the Mastro Web site, trying to find info on the $75 fee. I can't find anything under "Terms and conditions." Can someone provide a link?

Old 04-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think there are some things that need to be taken into account and think Mastro should make a policy change. I am not saying I can get anything done but I can try. I spoke to their customer service manager a few minutes ago. He is only doing as he is instructed though, therefore this is a Doug Allen situation. I have a call into him...I agree with what everyone has said concerning this fee..on both sides of the fence......best regards

Old 04-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?Action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Auction%20Register

Old 04-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator

You'd rather wait 10 years to find something; I'd rather pay the $75 now and get it at 2007 prices, then wait ten years and get it at 2017 prices. Also, paying $75 is a small price to pay to stop a 10 year search.

To each his own, but if you're not swayed by the time value of money then you are not swayed by basic economic theory.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

I live in an area where there is virtually no crime of any sort, and i live somewhat out in the country side. My mailman and I have visited many times about the packages he delivers. Sometimes I even open them up, and show them to him. He really loves the original Ruth and Foxx news, and wire photos that I collect. But It's hard to disagree with you that wrapping a valuable object or objects in a package that screams out steal me, is dumb. Even out here, packages go through a lot of hands before it reaches my honest mail man. I agree...............dumb.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator

I was a commercial banker for 23 years, for both the 4th largest bank group in the country, and then the 8th largest. I fully and completely understand all aspects of economics. I said it is out of principal. The time value of money has nothing to do with the way a business conducts itself. I just refuse to pay the $75 bucks.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

If your objection to the $75 is out of principle, no one here can convince you otherwise.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Administrator

I was hoping someone could.....

Old 04-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug Allen

Hey Guys,

Leon gave me a call and I just read the thread.

I will not go through the entire thought process regarding the registration fee. I will make this offer. If you go through the registration process (done on line at www.mastroauctions.com) and give us one solid reference from the Network 54 forum and under "interests" note "Network54" my customer service Department (aka Jim) will get you registered and get a set of catalogs shipped out to you right away. As long as you participate in the sale by bidding (no need to actually win a lot) we will waive the fee and nothing will charged to your credit card.

If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me personally.

Please enjoy the sale!

Sincerely,
Doug Allen
President
Mastro Auctions

Old 04-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

The Collectors Choice auctions are free. After I won something in the Collectors auction, they started mailing me Premier Catalogs. I never paid the $75. Before I was a qualified bidder, I would just have friends bid for me.

Sometimes I wish I was not allowed to bid in their auctions.......

Old 04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Brian -

Good one.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

It can't be any more fair than that. Class act.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeffrey Lichtman

What if you've paid the $75 fee and then spent 5 figures on Mastro auctions? Any chance at a rebate? Or at least my own roll of Mastro packing tape?

Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

now i'm pissed for having to pay $75 a few years back. since elliot was not as pro-active as leon when he was forum owner, can elliot be held accountable for my $75? any lawyers on the board???

Old 04-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

That is more than fair. You are to be commended. Your offer shows Mastro's true colors, and that it is a fair, and reputable business. This tells me more about your organization, than anything else could have. Again, it was just the principal. Nothing personal. Good luck in the auction. There are many great treasures lurking in there !!! Thanks again.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator

"If your objection to the $75 is out of principle, no one here can convince you otherwise."

Indeed. But it shouldn't be surprising that people would be willing to pay $75 to get something unattainable through other channels.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeffrey Lichtman

Isn't the 20% BP the fee to get something purportedly unattainable?

Old 04-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

True spiritual enlightenment is entirely attainable for 20%!!!

The $75 fee is the shipping charges for said enlightenment, as it requires 2 full rolls of Mastro box tape

Edited to correct the BP (turns out my original 15% statement will not get you fully enlightened)

Old 04-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

For $50 I will be a reference. Save yourself $25.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

Been bidding with them since the early Mastro & Steinbach days. Have won six figures in merchandise during that time, so don't have to pay those fees.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shane

I never paid the $75 fee back 6 years ago when I got on with Mastro. I can say that a $75 fee is really not going to deter me in bidding in an auction. I can't imagine not having Mastro as an avenue to purchase cards. They really bring out some nice items.
Mike (ozzy), no disrespect, but not spending $75 to participate is stupid.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shane

I think the catalogs that Mastro puts out is incredible. The write ups are sometimes a little fishy, but the pictures and the information on the sets are worth the price of admission. Catalogs of Mastro and REA are really great bathroom material.

Shane

Old 04-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

In the past I would save every catalog and prices realized as they would be great reference material. I still do save them but the prices become outdated so quickly.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Shane my name is Mike, my Dog's name is Ozzy. Hence the name, Ozzy. I'm an animal lover I guess. I've said several times, it wasn't the money. Mastro is a top notch organization. My opinion is it wasn't right, I chose not to participate in the auction because of it. I don't want to pay a $75.00 fee to go into my car dealer and look at cars either.. It doesn't make me right, or wrong. It's just my opinion. No harm done to anyone in voicing my opinion. Or is that "stupid" also Shane ?

Old 04-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

How many catalogs do you have Barry? I probably have about 200 of them, but many of them I bought in lots off of ebay. Even if the prices are outdated you can't beat them for reference material.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

Wow. I just spent the last two hours going over both catalogs online. They are amazing. They definitely have different flavors and I like them both. The historical items in the REA auction are phenomenal.

The print version of the catalogs are certainly collectibles in their own right, not to mention invaluable reference materials and well worth paying for.

Compared to the other catalogs that I see, Mastros and REA are certainly in a league of their own (no pun intended). It is amazing how they keep on coming up with the material, especially Mastros as they do it three times (or more?) a year.

It is going to be an interesting three days of auctions.