NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default Ty 'COBBS' photo on ebay

This was probably cruel, but I had no idea that the seller honestly believed that this photo depicts Honus Wagner and Ty Cobb:

Honus and Ty in a Photo

Out of morbid curiosity, I asked the seller to send me a copy of the research he had done to come to his conclusion. This was the response - I think it's pretty good entertainment for a Friday afternoon (Where do yet get a keyboard that allows this sort of typing?)

The Only Way I Can Answer Your Question Is The Research I Have Done And The Age Of The People That The Photos Belonged Two I'm Going To Have To Say That The Man On The Bottom Right Corner Is Most Definitely Ty Cobbs. Just By The Photo Comparisons I Have Done . Look Up Early Photos Of Ty Cobbs Then Look At The Photo I Have What More Research Do You Need . Plus I Looked Up The Other Guys He May Have Known At The Time Then I Looked Up There Photos And Then I Found Honus Wagner. Then I New That The Man Second On The top left Corner Was Him. And The Family That These Came From Died About 7 Years Ago They Were In There 90s When They Died. They Traveled The World I Also Found A Signed Football That Also Belonged To This Wealthy Family . I Looked For Documentation And Could Not Find Any . I Also Found Photos That Were Dated In The Late 1800s And Sold Every Photo I Found On Line . Just Because Of The Research I Have Done Again Today Leads Me To Believe That Even Tho This Is A Reproduction I Must Higher My Price . I Really Do Believe In The Research I Have Done And Really I Dont No Much About Baseball But I Can Recognize a face that's for sure . I Think That I Am Going To Have This Photo Looked Into By A Professional. Do You Possibly Know Of One That I Can Trust That Would Give Me An Honest Answer?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM

It was identified mathematically. There are so many players, at least one has to be Ty Cobb.

If there were twice as many players there would be at least two Ty Cobbs.

Last edited by drc; 02-14-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
It was identified mathematically. There are so many players, at least one has to be Ty Cobb.

If there were twice as many players there would be at least two Ty Cobbs.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

lololol ty cobbs ha
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

just have to add this to this thread:

here is another listing from this seller in case anone is interested

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Phot...item20cf31fda4
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

The guy in the middle of the front row is Groucho Marx.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 PM

Nice item. Not only do I see Ty Cobbs and Hornus Wagoner, I am pretty sure that is a young Roger Hornby on the top right.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post

I am just speechless after looking at that one!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I sent the seller a polite message telling him that, its "ty cobb" not "cobbs" and that neither of the guys were in his COPPY of a photo.

He sent me back a reply ssaying

"And what basis do u get your facts"

Old 02-14-2013, 03:55 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinsnut View Post
Nice item. Not only do I see Ty Cobbs and Hornus Wagoner, I am pretty sure that is a young Roger Hornby on the top right.
I can see your confusion...it's actually Bruce Hornsby...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
I can see your confusion...it's actually Bruce Hornsby...
looks more like bruce springsteen

Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Richard Simon

"I dont no much" and "I must higher my price" show us what an educated man he is.
Also I had to look at his feedback and for a seller of used and junk clothing, etc. he has very poor feedback from a number of buyers.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

lol he pushed up the price from 75 to 200.

Lets forget about whos even in the pic, keep in mind that its also a Coppy of a photo, lol

Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

ok - heres the new listing BUT u must scroll to the bottom, everyone whos asking him questions, its on the bottom of the listing, just too funny

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Basebal...item20cf54b825

Old 02-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
lol he pushed up the price from 75 to 200.

Lets forget about whos even in the pic, keep in mind that its also a Coppy of a photo, lol
He just realized he is sitting on gold! $200 is a steal!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

I just showed my girlfriend the Q&A at the bottom of his ebay description. She's accusing me of being cruel, and I can't say I can really argue with her.

This guy honestly believes that's Ty Cobb at 10 or 11 years of age. If he lived nearby, I'd give him $20 just to drink a beer with him and listen to him talk...about anything.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I just showed my girlfriend the Q&A at the bottom of his ebay description. She's accusing me of being cruel, and I can't say I can really argue with her.

This guy honestly believes that's Ty Cobb at 10 or 11 years of age. If he lived nearby, I'd give him $20 just to drink a beer with him and listen to him talk...about anything.
can you please tell me where my question shows that I AGREE with this nut?

As laughable as the Cobb identification goes, at least the deep-set eyes for both men show a smidge of similarity. It's the Wagner that really has me puzzled. My wife looks more like Wagner than that guy in the back! It's like he said "Honus Wagner! He's from around then," then threw a dart at the pic and the guy in the back was the one hit.

Ken
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

At least now we know why Cobbs was so angry.

It had to be those hats. If I had to play ball in public wearing one of those I'd be cranky for years.

Steve B
Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
can you please tell me where my question shows that I AGREE with this nut?

As laughable as the Cobb identification goes, at least the deep-set eyes for both men show a smidge of similarity. It's the Wagner that really has me puzzled. My wife looks more like Wagner than that guy in the back! It's like he said "Honus Wagner! He's from around then," then threw a dart at the pic and the guy in the back was the one hit.

Ken
No, I can't. Did he think you did? Actually, I didn't even look at the handles of those asking questions - were you one of them?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:56 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Also just looking at it logicly. A 10 year old kid, on a team with Men. Most of whome have full grown mustaches. The rest of those players arent 10 years old. And the guy he says is cobb also isnt 10. He is the same SIZE as the other guys who are sitting down. If a 10 year old kids arent same size as adults. He looks to be 17-20 IMO.

Also notice hes holding a catchers mit and catchers glove. Again just using logic here, prob the youngest guy on the team, and if it was cobb the fastest I doubt he would be catching. Probably playing center or SS IMO

Last edited by EvilKing00; 02-15-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
"I dont no much" and "I must higher my price" show us what an educated man he is.
Also I had to look at his feedback and for a seller of used and junk clothing, etc. he has very poor feedback from a number of buyers.
because he's a typical moronic e-bay seller..what an idiot ..A Young TY COBBS. It must be nice to walk through life with Rose Colored Glasses? Lay off the guy... it's obvious he's mentally retarded, like most e-bay sellers. At least he stands for something even though it's the complete asses point of view.

That's no more a young ty cobbs than Travis is
Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

His latest auction has at least 3 Cobbs....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corn_cobb_note_card-p137028618374103857enq3t_216.jpg (13.2 KB, 212 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Jesse Lent

I'm sorry this might be a little cruel but this was the first thing i thought of when reading this thread plus the guys listing
http://youtu.be/SDmUtkqjZhY
just watch the whole thing. and don't say you didn't laugh
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Jesse Lent

definitely laugh. the kid is some youtube sensation (i never had heard of him until a friend posted his video) for videos like this. but i feel like the seller from the listing is sitting there reacting in the same sort of way when hes told hes wrong about the picture
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Dan Brown

I wonder what he is like when he is wearing his Incredible Hulk t-shirt.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Also just looking at it logicly. A 10 year old kid, on a team with Men. Most of whome have full grown mustaches. The rest of those players arent 10 years old. And the guy he says is cobb also isnt 10. He is the same SIZE as the other guys who are sitting down. If a 10 year old kids arent same size as adults. He looks to be 17-20 IMO.

Also notice hes holding a catchers mit and catchers glove. Again just using logic here, prob the youngest guy on the team, and if it was cobb the fastest I doubt he would be catching. Probably playing center or SS IMO
EK, baseball was a much tougher game back then, especially the position of 'catcher'. If you closely examine old baseball team photographs (especially 1800's), you'll notice that the catcher's fingers are typically bent, swollen and otherwise gnarly.

It makes complete sense that no one on the team actually wanted to be the catcher - they didn't have back-ups either - so teams typically located a foundling or street urchin and gave them the task in return for a free bag of popcorn and pickle after the game. You can look it up.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:

It makes complete sense that no one on the team actually wanted to be the catcher - they didn't have back-ups either - so teams typically located a foundling or street urchin and gave them the task in return for a free bag of popcorn and pickle after the game. You can look it up.
Man in an alley - "Psst. Hey kid, want a pickle?" These days it will get you arrested as a perv.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Jesse Lent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Man in an alley - "Psst. Hey kid, want a pickle?" These days it will get you arrested as a perv.
thats hysterical
Old 02-15-2013, 02:38 PM
James Wymer

I think it would be funny to mail him a copy of a signed Ty Cobb photo. I would give anything to be in this room where the research is happening that would be priceless.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 02-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Dan Bretta

Why is he capitalizing every single word in his responses?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Brock

I told him "You're a idiot. Research that".
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Why is he capitalizing every single word in his responses?
That is what is most amazing to me. I can understand not capitalizing anything, or typing in all caps, either one because you're lazy. It actually takes much more effort to type the way he does though, AND makes it more difficult to read what he's typed. I just don't get it.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM
James Wymer

What if the guy in the picture really was Ty Cobbs and not the baseball player Ty Cobb? Would That Not Be Funny. I Really Like Typing This Way.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
I think it would be funny to mail him a copy of a signed Ty Cobb photo.
You mean like this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobbs Signed Photo.jpg (74.2 KB, 191 views)
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
EK, baseball was a much tougher game back then, especially the position of 'catcher'. If you closely examine old baseball team photographs (especially 1800's), you'll notice that the catcher's fingers are typically bent, swollen and otherwise gnarly.

yea 100% agree - any homless guy would be made catcher, not ty cobb. Even as a kid im sure he would be the fastest player on his team. If so i would put him in center to run down fly balls if i was the coach. not behind the plate where his speed would not help the team

Last edited by EvilKing00; 02-15-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
You mean like this one
hey lance thats not ty cobb!

Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
hey lance thats not ty cobb!
I know, it's "Ty Cobbs"

Seriously though, I just did a Google searh for Ty Cobb Signed Photo, and that was the first image that came up that I could easily manipulate to add the 's' on the end. I was so proud of my work on the sig, I never looked twice at the photo itself. Looking now at the site the image came from makes it even more interesting, but that's a topic for another thread...
Old 02-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Wtf?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:15 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Well, gentlemen, it turns out we are all wrong in this. I just got a private response from the seller, and you cannot argue with this provenance:
"There Is Some Reason This Photo Was Looked Inside A Safe And In a Protective sleeve. Not To Mention At The Same House I Cleaned Up There Was A Signed Football From The Bangles"

Yes, that says they had a football signed by the Bangles!! (All jokes aside, that has to be the only one in existence, don't you think??) So of course this must also be a rare photo of Ty Cobb. SO THERE!!

Also in the same email, this unintentional (I assume) typo made me laugh out loud. I think it sums up the whole situation:
"This Photo Was Obliviously A Good Ball Team Just Before TY COBBs GOT FAMOUS Dosent That Seem Possible To Any Of You"

Ken
Old 02-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Richard Simon

In his e mail to me I was told that I must be blind to not see that it is Ty Cobb.
My answer to him highlighted the words "you are a moron."
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-16-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Well, gentlemen, it turns out we are all wrong in this. I just got a private response from the seller, and you cannot argue with this provenance:
"There Is Some Reason This Photo Was Looked Inside A Safe And In a Protective sleeve. Not To Mention At The Same House I Cleaned Up There Was A Signed Football From The Bangles"

Yes, that says they had a football signed by the Bangles!! (All jokes aside, that has to be the only one in existence, don't you think??) So of course this must also be a rare photo of Ty Cobb. SO THERE!!

Also in the same email, this unintentional (I assume) typo made me laugh out loud. I think it sums up the whole situation:
"This Photo Was Obliviously A Good Ball Team Just Before TY COBBs GOT FAMOUS Dosent That Seem Possible To Any Of You"

Ken
We're being punked.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I am much more interested in the Bangles signed football.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

just too funny - "The Bangles" holy $%^&!

Look maybe he ment the Girl Band "The Bangles" , you know like- walk like an egyptian, at least that would be worth something.

i really hope you all see the other itmes hes had and has for sale - the good looking men was just too funny too.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 02-16-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

what do u think about this cobb - http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/272870

Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
just too funny - "The Bangles" holy $%^&!

Look maybe he ment the Girl Band "The Bangles" , you know like- walk like an egyptian, at least that would be worth something.

just for you EK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bangles.jpg (7.1 KB, 154 views)
Old 02-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

^ WAY more exciting than any bengals football team. Sry Boomer.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
^ WAY more exciting than any bengals football team. Sry Boomer.
Yeah i had a little crush on her back in the day

have you seen what she looks like now? whew ... not good.

anyways ...... back to the Cobbs!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I know, it's "Ty Cobbs"

Seriously though, I just did a Google searh for Ty Cobb Signed Photo, and that was the first image that came up that I could easily manipulate to add the 's' on the end. I was so proud of my work on the sig, I never looked twice at the photo itself. Looking now at the site the image came from makes it even more interesting, but that's a topic for another thread...
Great job, Lance.

As an aside, I remember someone here once saying a Lajoie sig was bad because he had spelled 'Larry' with 3 'r's. Since then, I've noticed that every now and then I accidentally spell my last name with 3 'r's. I've also noticed letters missing, added, etc., in various legitimate signatures as the signers get older. Nobody's perfect, even when signing their own name.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:25 AM
pariah1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
I am much more interested in the Bangles signed football.
Seller Also Has Paul Revere & The Raiders Signed Football With QB George Blondie....

Last edited by pariah1107; 02-16-2013 at 10:27 AM.