NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Chris

Default What are the Best Pre-WWII Investment Cards?

I think there was a thread on this but I can't seem to find it. I have been going in a new direction with my collecting, focusing on quality and liquidity over quantity. So, what would be the 10 or so best, but affordable cards that I can reasonably believe won't lose their value? I am thinking T206 Cobb, Johnson, Young, etc, Goudey Ruth, Gehrig. Any good ideas?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't think you will find any single answer to this question; it all depends on perceptions.

First of all, get expert in the area you want to invest in. I would never, ever put money into a collectible without being well versed in the subject.

If you want to generalize, you could consider desirability, demand, breadth of market, rarity, population and recent performance as good gauges of likely performance. All the first-tier HOFers like the guys you listed are always in demand and likely won't cause you to lose money over the longer term, but depending on the set at any given time you may not be able to get much of a return on the investment simply because the demand is readily filled, and you may take a haircut if you have to sell out suddenly in the teeth of a bad market. For mainstream sets like T206, I look for nice cards for the grade given (and yes, I prefer to buy them slabbed via mail--raw purchases I reserve for my visits to shows where I can handle the merch and give it a good going over) and a price that is well below where I think the card should be priced. That means being patient and scouring a lot of different venues for relative bargains. You might want to invest in a VCP scrip so you can do market comparisons on cards that interest you, just to get some idea of how they've fared over the last few years.

You also have to consider your time horizon: are you a short-term "flipper" or a long-term appreciation buyer?

I would stay away from "condition rarities" from easy sets for two reasons: (1) they have a much thinner market base--usually a few registry guys trying to build sets are what drive the market--so it may be difficult or time consuming to get your money out unless you substantially discount, and (2) if a few more cards surface in the given grade you are screwed.

I know this is contradictory to the idea of cards as investments, but buy what you genuinely enjoy owning. It makes it a lot easier to weather a market downturn when you have no problem keeping the cards because you like them.

Above all else, don't count on the investment to fuel your retirement. Pay the bills and cover your formal retirement plan first, then play with the balance in cards as a nontraditional investment.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Rob Miller

You can't go wrong with any of those. Maybe some less conventional choices:

-34 Goudey Greenberg - There will always be a strong market for his cards
-Any Joe Jackson Card
-Old Judge Cap Anson
-39 PlayBall DiMaggio

Obviously the less affordable the longer the list, but I don't think any on my list would ever lose value based on the players place in baseball history.

Last edited by Robextend; 03-30-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Scott Levy

Default In my view....

The single most underrated card in the hobby is the T206 Plank. While nearly as rare as the Wagner and also a HOFer, Eddie Plank typically sells for about 10% of the price of a Wagner -- a bargain by my measures.

-Scott
Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Everything is a bargain compared to a t206 Wagner!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Default What about...

I agree with Scott on the T206 Plank, but what about also the T206 Magie (error)? I see it as also a great investment card in any grade. Any thoughts??
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Everything is a bargain compared to a t206 Wagner!
Funny, I would say that is probably the best investment card out there. Of course it is not easy to buy in.
JimB
Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 PM

For myself, I like midgrade T206 HOFers with the tougher backs to lower the population numbers. In the long run, tough backs may not mean anything one day, but I am betting against it.

I like the T206 set because it is mainstream and anyone can afford to dabble in it. Goudey's and T206 are usually what make people turn the corner to prewar, as they are easy to get your hands on. People always like buying guys that they have heard of, so that is how the HOF part comes into play. I like the tougher backs because of the challenge involved in tracking them down. The combination of the three takes popular mainstream (aka liquidity through lots of buyers) to a higher level ($$ demand through HOF and scarce backs).

I enjoy the type card folks efforts, and say that is the way to make or lose big money, as sometimes there are buyers, and sometimes there are not. I don't mind putting money into my T206 HOFers with tough backs, as I look at them like a blue chip stocks with a little bit of upside potential. If you buy right you are not going to get burned to bad when you sell, as there will always be buyers for the BIG SET and HOFers. You may not make a lot of money, but I think loses can be kept to a minimum.

At least that is how I explain it to the wife (pretty well rehearsed!!),
Bob
Old 03-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Funny, I would say that is probably the best investment card out there. Of course it is not easy to buy in.
JimB
I think it's overrated and overpriced for what it is, however, I don't think that is ever going to change and I also agree that it's a very good investment card.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguy View Post
I agree with Scott on the T206 Plank, but what about also the T206 Magie (error)? I see it as also a great investment card in any grade. Any thoughts??
I've never been impressed by error cards. Some guys go crazy over them, but they just don't get me going.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 PM

Eye appeal for grade. Try to get a card that is especially good looking for its grade-- ala nice colors, image, etc. You'll get the most money for the grade out of that card.