NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2021, 01:21 PM
David Thompson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 01:48 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

There are baseball greats, and then there are a very few people who transcend the sport into legendary status to become cultural icons. Such is Hank Aaron. RIP

One of my favorite Aaron photos in my collection is this one taken by Bob Cutter in 1956 of a young, blossoming superstar selecting his weapon to pummel some unfortunate pitcher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hank Aaron Photo (B Cutter).jpg (76.4 KB, 495 views)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:54 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default I'm named after him

My father grew up in Janesville, WI and followed the Braves his entire childhood.

Some 25 years ago I was set up at a card show in Taylor, MI and The Hammer was doing autographs for $20 each. When it was my turn I told Hank that I was named after him and he gave me a smile. I'll never forget it.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:54 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Old 01-22-2021, 02:09 PM
Al Richter

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-22-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I wrote to him as a kid a couple of times, and (I believe) he answered each of my autograph requests. Here's my TTM haul...

hankaaronpage.jpg

God rest his beautiful soul.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:55 PM

Very sad, sigh ... and tears. Aaron & Walter Payton were the only "sets" I ever had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1240 (2).jpg (71.6 KB, 459 views)

Last edited by Touch'EmAll; 01-22-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:11 PM
J@son Per1

What a soft spoken class act Hank Aaron was. A true giant of the game and one that transcended the sport. RIP.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:20 PM

Default Hank Aaron

Rest in Peace Mr. Aaron- the real home run king!

First card I ever bought at a show was at the Dayton Convention Center in 1981- a 1954 Topps Hank Aaron rookie. It sits in an SGC 40 holder now, I will never trade or sell it. Trent King
Old 01-22-2021, 03:23 PM

His return to Milwaukee in 1975 was an epic coming home of sorts, and he left a gigantic footprint all over the area and the state. It's when I started T-ball and my love for baseball. To me, Hank Aaron was baseball.

I had him sign this jersey in the early 90's, and I can remember that it was one of those moments when you can feel your heart pounding through your chest from the excitement. It is the only jersey I ever framed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (37.1 KB, 446 views)
Old 01-22-2021, 03:39 PM
Rich

Beautiful jersey.

Reading all of these reactions has made me feel a little better.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:05 PM
John

In the spring of 1972 I was in 10th grade, I found a wooden shade rod, I drilled a hole in it found a piece a rope and attached a weight to it, hoping I could get to strengthen my wrists like Hammerin Hank to make the high school baseball team.
John

Last edited by talkinbaseball; 03-04-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:20 PM
�tis J�hns�n

A favorite card of a favorite player.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaronderby041 (2).jpg (73.6 KB, 451 views)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:58 PM
Gary

This one was hard news to hear. So many greats have passed away this year, but Hank Aaron stands above. Such a grest player and person.

God's assembling quite a team up there this year.

RIP Hank.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:43 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
One of the other members here did a study of HoFer deaths by year recently, and last year tied 1972 as the worst year, so I don't think there's ever been a stretch like the past 13 months.
2020 was worse than 1972. The reason is Clemente was not a Hall of Famer when he died. Last year set the record for active HOFer deaths.

The Hammer is the true HR King. King of player and man.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:26 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
2020 was worse than 1972. The reason is Clemente was not a Hall of Famer when he died. Last year set the record for active HOFer deaths.

The Hammer is the true HR King. King of player and man.
Wow I think I disagree with this post more than any other I have ever read on Net 54. The Passing of Clemente in 1972 was a TRAGEDY. The passing of the Hall of Famers including Mr. Aaaron in 2020 was Just part of life. No Comparison. We all Pass on, to pass on while delivering relief supplies with so much of life ahead of him was a selfless act of tremendous compassion.
To pass on after a Full life is just the price of admission.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:32 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Wow I think I disagree with this post more than any other I have ever read on Net 54. The Passing of Clemente in 1972 was a TRAGEDY. The passing of the Hall of Famers including Mr. Aaaron in 2020 was Just part of life. No Comparison. We all Pass on, to pass on while delivering relief supplies with so much of life ahead of him was a selfless act of tremendous compassion.
To pass on after a Full life is just the price of admission.
You are taking what I said completely out of context, sir. Shame on you if it was on purpose. A lack of reading comprehension if it was not.

I said 2020 was the worst year, based on the pure number of active hall of farmers dying in a given year. I did not demean of diminish anyone’s life. I did not say anything negative about Clemente. I just pointed out that Clemente was not a Hall of Farmer when he unfortunately and tragically died. Good Day to you.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:46 PM
Frank Wakefield

He was a gentleman.

I wish I had dvd's of him on a two or three program sequence on the Dick Cavett show, it included Mantle, Durocher, and I think Tom Gorman. Fantastic recollections...

He went through way too much of the racial brutality of the day... he maintained his dignity.

I saw him play. He had all of the tools. He moved his wrists well, he could whip the bat through the strike zone quicker and stronger than most.

My favorite memory was in a moment I heard during a Cardinals night game, within a year or two of 1970... I may have faulty recollection, but this is how it went... The Braves had one or two runners on, Aaron was at the plate, middle innings. I have no idea who was pitching, but he'd already given up a few runs. Jack Buck and Mike Shannon are calling the game. Aaron slams a pitch between outfielders, the ball is down and off the wall. Another run or two scores and Aaron is at second base with a double. The Cardinals manager goes out to pull the pitcher. And during that break in play what I think I heard Mike Shannon say was something like this... "Fans, out there at second base stands two of the superstars of baseball, Dal Maxvill and Henry Aaron."
Old 01-22-2021, 09:12 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Nice play by play Frank, your words put me at the game that day.

These words hold the true power:
He went through way too much of the racial brutality of the day... he maintained his dignity.

A man that maintains his dignity in the face of adversity shows such a depth of character how can you not respect him and want to be his friend.

RIP Mr Aaron, thanks for showing us what a man with class looks like.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-23-2021, 12:47 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

These are the times I wish this forum had a "Like" button...so many great posts and stories. Thanks for each and every one. I grew up with two idols...Harmon Killebrew, and Hank Aaron. These were my gods. Today was a tough day. I pulled out my run of Aaron cards, laid them all out...watched MLB network (great coverage), and drank a few beers toasting an icon. Not much else to say, except again, thanks for all the great posts and stories. Been a tough stretch here...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 01-23-2021, 05:39 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
It includes members who hadn’t been voted in yet. Note Halladay and Santo are counted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koufax32fan View Post
I was looking for a listing of HOFers by the year of death to determine if 2020 is extraordinary based on the number of deaths. I could not find one easily, so I put one together using Baseball-Reference. (I can't upload an Excel spreadsheet, but am happy to share via email.) The six deaths (so far, and let's hope there are no more) this year is the second most during any year. In 1972, we lost seven HOFers (Wheat, Bancroft, Weiss, Traynor, Hartnett, Robinson (Jackie) and Clemente).

Recently, the history has been:

2019 - 1 (Frank Robinson)
2018 - 3 (McCovey, Harvey and Schoendienst)
2017 - 3 (Doerr, Bunning and Halladay)
2016 - 1 (Irvin)
2015 - 2 (Berra and Banks)
2014 - 2 (Kiner and Gwynn)
2013 - 2 (Musial and Weaver)
2012 - 3 (MacPhail, Miller and Carter)
2011 - 3 (Snider, Dick Williams and Killebrew)
2010 - 4 (Santo, Anderson, Roberts and Feller)
2009 - 1 (Kell)
2008 - None
2007 - 2 (Rizutto and Kuhn)
2006 - 1 (Puckett)
2005 - 1 (Lopez)
2004 - None
2003 - 2 (Spahn and Doby)
2002 - 3 (Slaughter, T. Williams and Wilhelm)
2001 - 3 (Boudreau, Mathews and Stargell)
2000 - 1 (Lemon)

So, yes, if you also have been feeling like 2020 has been extraordinarily sad based only on the number of HOFers we have lost, you have good reason to feel that way.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:13 AM
John D.

Tuesday June 4th, 1974 I saw him play for the first time in Philadelphia. I was a Yankees fan, but grew up about the same distance from the Vet as I was from Yankee Stadium. My dad is not a baseball fan, but went to this game on a bus trip that our church ran. Pete Cera who was the assistant clubhouse manager was from my hometown and he ran many trips during the year, this one happened to be on a school night and was planned because that was the year he was going to break the Babe's record. I was 10.

I didn't care about the Phillies but Hank was larger than life to me. We were there in time for batting practice and were able to get up close to the cage. Seeing him take batting practice was something that I will never forget. My uncle who also went with us and was a huge baseball fan was explaining something to me about Hank's swing but I was so fixated on seeing him in person that I wasn't paying attention.

In the 7th inning I watched him send one over the fence. On top of that, it was a grand slam. I had no idea till much later in life how special that was. It was one of 16 that he hit.

20 years later I met him at a card show. Had him sign a ball, a picture, and my ticket from that day and I mentioned the grand slam. He was so kind and so cordial to me. I was able to meet him one other time and he was the same way. I never realized till later in life the hate that he faced and the real life example he set for all of us.

Godspeed Hank.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:20 AM
Rich

Fun fact about Aaron because people tend to think of the home runs and forget about his other strengths: Since World War II, the only outfielder with more career assists than Aaron is Clemente. Aaron threw out more base runners than anyone else, including Willie Mays.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
God Damn, this is terrible. I thought he was in relatively good health. RIP
He was indeed in great health....

The media isn't reporting it, but his cause of death is still "undisclosed". He was encouraged to get a Covid Vaccine and proudly did so on January 5, to act as a positive example for other African Americans. A couple weeks later, he has passed.

Without getting political, I hope his passing had nothing to do with his recent vaccination. He was a stellar example of an American hero.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:18 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Cause of Death?

I too thought it was strange that no cause of death was disclosed. I just read in the NY Times obit (a great one, by the way) that he struggled with a partial hip replacement in his last years. BUT what did he die of, specifically??? I am sure we will learn eventually but it is weird.
RIP, Henry.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:28 PM
Rich

It’s not weird... he died in his sleep. Cause of death won’t be immediately known.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:39 PM
Jim T.
Ji.m Tar.olli

I picked up the ball a couple weeks ago. RIP Henry Aaron

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2021, 01:17 PM

Looking through my Aaron stuff and came across these. The article is from a November 1983 write up in the Sacramento Bee about a local signing. Hope you guys can zoom in and read it. $1,000 an hour, not bad for 1983!

I know I sound childish saying it, but I'm really pissed PSA has my stuff. I sent cards my Uncle had signed by Hank at these shows to them back in July. I had no idea at the time they'd hold on to it for this long and I really wish I had them back with me.

Last edited by Vegas Cards; 01-24-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:12 PM
Val Kehl

The entire back page of today's print edition of the Washington Post's Sports Section is a full-color display of Topps' Hank Aaron cards, one for each year of his career. The online edition has a different configuration of this card display; here's the link to it:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...s/?arc404=true
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:22 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Came across this on the interwebs - Original Henry Scouting Report for the Braves - Henry was 18

Aaron Scouting Report
Old 01-25-2021, 05:04 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

"fair" power. Yeah, I'd say Henry's power was at least fair
Old 01-25-2021, 07:42 PM
Val Kehl

Also interesting is that the scouting report shows Aaron's position as being shortstop.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:27 AM
Mikeknapp

Kevin Riley editor of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, “ If there was any doubt about how truly humble Hank Aaron was, this is the family-placed obituary in Tuesday’s edition of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E289E8AE-90DE-486E-8F05-C5AD9C795EE9.jpg (21.3 KB, 237 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 01-26-2021, 07:58 AM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Also interesting is that the scouting report shows Aaron's position as being shortstop.
He was a shortstop when he started his pro career.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:11 PM
Marty

Love seeing all of these great items and reading these personal stories.

Was a huge Hank fan when I was growing up, and was all in for his chase to pass Babe in 73 and 74. Still have my old beat up dresser that 9 year old me pasted a picture of Hank on one side of a drawer and Babe on the other. The chase was on!

Swung a big trade (for me!) to get his rookie card later in the 70s. It's not a thing of beauty, but I love it just the same. Was really happy several years ago to pick up a cool companion piece!

A long classy important life well lived! Thanks for the memories, Hank!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aaron rc.jpg (77.8 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg Aaron back and art.jpg (77.0 KB, 209 views)
Old 01-27-2021, 01:39 PM
James M.

Very Cool Video I found on Twitter. Hank Aaron homering off of Bob Feller in an Old Timers game. Just incredible to watch. Two of the best at their positions!

https://twitter.com/BSmile/status/13...915643397?s=20

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 01-27-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:25 PM
Jimmy

Outstanding Player! and person - god bless
Old 01-27-2021, 03:20 PM
Rich

Medical examiner says cause of death was “natural causes.”
Old 01-28-2021, 07:45 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Thanks for the Update, Ricky

Glad to learn he went naturally. He was a true gentle man. RIP, Henry.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:18 PM
Andy Wa.lko

Just got this one in today.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:59 AM
Kevin

Default Hank

Even MLB players were in awe and had great respect for Hank. Check out the back of this 1978 Family Fun Centers Dave Robert’s card.

FA7193B5-2AE2-41E3-8333-3418389B9188.jpg
Old 01-30-2021, 12:02 PM
Kevin

Default Hank

D25F8FAD-4BD3-4CAC-9B3B-CBC55B543367.jpg
Old 01-30-2021, 01:51 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Happy to own these pieces
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01A67798-537A-4DE3-92DC-BA0A4DD0840A.jpg (16.9 KB, 134 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Cards View Post
Looking through my Aaron stuff and came across these. The article is from a November 1983 write up in the Sacramento Bee about a local signing. Hope you guys can zoom in and read it. $1,000 an hour, not bad for 1983!

I know I sound childish saying it, but I'm really pissed PSA has my stuff. I sent cards my Uncle had signed by Hank at these shows to them back in July. I had no idea at the time they'd hold on to it for this long and I really wish I had them back with me.

I really missed having these cards with me on the day Hank passed away. Since I just got them back from PSA, I'm posting a pic.

Plus it can't hurt to have the Home Run King back on the front page for a bit.

These were signed in 1983 at the show mentioned in the article above.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:42 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here's a pair of recent acquisitions:

If you were a kid and watched baseball around 1974 you probably saw a commercial for Oh Henry! candy bars with Hank Aaron. This promo was an accompanying piece. I've not seen one before.

1972 Baltimore Sun full-page premium. Does this scream "1970s" or what?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...