NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2021, 04:42 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default Is there a more cost-effective method of shipping than USPS First-Class?

So I mailed a $100 card out today and noticed that costs to ship the card were as follows -

$4.20 - First Class USPS postage
.69 - small padded envelope
$3.15 - $100 worth of Insurance
9% - State Sales Tax

All added up, the price exceeded $8.75 just to ship a relatively inexpensive card. Is there a cheaper way to do this that's as safe that I just don't know about? Or is this just the way it is for everyone?

Looking forward to some thoughts/responses. Thanks guys!

Last edited by shammus; 09-25-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:02 PM
James M

1. buying postage directly through ebay/paypal will give you a discount compared to buying it at the post office

2. you typically dont add insurance to something unless the buyer specifies it (and pays for it), especially under like $500 in value

I've shipped hundreds of raw/graded cards in the last few years, have never had a card get damaged or lost (knock on wood) and it typically costs me between $3 and $3.50 to ship.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:10 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Thanks James, those are both solid pieces of advice.

I should mention - I don't sell on Ebay at all. Really just here on BST. However, I do use PayPal constantly. Can I still buy postage through Paypal or qualify for that discount? I was looking at my account just now on their site and didn't really see anything about that.....
Old 09-25-2021, 05:29 PM
Jay

As mentioned PayPal shipping is about $1 cheaper.

Bubble mailers are about a dime in bulk.

Shipping insurance is a pure waste of money and should never be used. Even if something gets lost and it’s their fault all three services will try hard not to pay out.. If you’re concerned get a personal collection policy with mail coverage.

I don’t know why you’re collecting sales tax unless you’re a dealer and person is in state.

Done at minimum it’ll cost $3.50-$4. Hope this helps. I ship a lot
Old 09-25-2021, 05:33 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Random thought and this is based on limited experience but I’ve had great experiences with USPS First Class. It’s USPS overnight or expedited that has caused issues for me.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:51 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

For small items (single cards), USPS first class is my pick. For slightly larger, USPS Priority Mail box. For larger still, FedEx Ground. I have had far fewer issues than I would have expected over the years. I should mention that I don't sell on ebay and rarely even here, but I do trade cards with friends, send them for consignment or grading, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206kid View Post
Shipping insurance is a pure waste of money and should never be used. Even if something gets lost and it’s their fault all three services will try hard not to pay out.. If you’re concerned get a personal collection policy with mail coverage.
This is my feeling as well. When I see how much the insurance costs and guesstimate the chances of both having the package lost and successfully getting reimbursed for it, I choose to self-insure.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:53 PM
James M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
Thanks James, those are both solid pieces of advice.

I should mention - I don't sell on Ebay at all. Really just here on BST. However, I do use PayPal constantly. Can I still buy postage through Paypal or qualify for that discount? I was looking at my account just now on their site and didn't really see anything about that.....
paypal.com/shipnow

that link should take you to the page. You enter the address, then on the following page pick USPS first class, the package/weight, etc, and calculate shipping.

Cost is based on what zone you are in and what zone you are shipping to. For 4 ounces and under, you should be paying $3.49 max. In the same zone will be $3.01 I think.

Buy your supplies in bulk from amazon and they'll be cheaper.

50 pack of nice bubble mailers, $15 ($0.30 per piece)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DYK8TG

Bubble wrap, for graded cards, $13.50 for 2 huge rolls

https://www.amazon.com/Cushioning-Pe.../dp/B07QZCMCVT

3 large rolls of painters tape, for closing sleeves/toploaders, $11.50

https://www.amazon.com/ScotchBlue-Or.../dp/B089NYWHJ5

Buy in bulk, and your averages will be much lower.

Also, if you plan to do any kind of selling/shipping at scale, invest in a thermal printer. Then you will never have to buy printer ink again, and you can buy labels with adhesive on them, so you click, print, peel and attach. No fuss. If you sell/ship in volume, it will pay for itself in a few months.

Last edited by 53toppscollector; 09-25-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:05 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Perhaps for a different thread but the thermal printer made me think of it. Can anyone recommend a good quality low cost scanner for someone with a moderate collection but who sells a fair amount just to mix things up?
Old 09-25-2021, 06:13 PM
Larry More.y

FWIW, the USPS is raising their 1st Class package rate by 30 cents across the board starting Oct 3rd........"peak rate surcharges"????

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announ.../ba-p/32303386
Old 09-25-2021, 06:17 PM
James M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Perhaps for a different thread but the thermal printer made me think of it. Can anyone recommend a good quality low cost scanner for someone with a moderate collection but who sells a fair amount just to mix things up?
Make sure you get a scanner with a CCD element or all your scans of graded cards will be cloudy and unappealing. I bought a refurbished Epson off amazon for $140 and its worked really well.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:24 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
Make sure you get a scanner with a CCD element or all your scans of graded cards will be cloudy and unappealing. I bought a refurbished Epson off amazon for $140 and its worked really well.
Your scans are great. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:26 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Epson v300 off ebay. Used ones are $50.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:38 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Thanks everyone, sounds like there's several good pointers above for saving on shipping. I've just bought a bulk pack of envelopes from Amazon and can use Paypal to save a bit on Postage.

For the Insurance - wow, I guess I had some outdated beliefs. I've been going by the "insure everything over $100" rule for about two decades now. So you guys don't use Insurance at all through USPS? Or is there a dollar amount associated with the cards your sending where you do decide to insure the package or upgrade to Registered Mail? (ie...$500, $1000, etc...)

Much appreciated! I feel like I learned quite a bit from this thread
Old 09-26-2021, 04:50 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

If you get some paperboard envelopes and are shipping low-ish dollar raw cards in top-loaders (can't be in graded slabs), then you can ship them for less than $1. And ya, definitely never pay for USPS insurance with collectibles. It's pointless. They'll just take your money and never pay out. Same with FedEx and UPS. They both cap out at $1000 coverage for collectibles but won't tell you that when you buy insurance. It's a scam. Just get private insurance.

Envelopes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-8-Paper...g/254808890842

eBay's instructions:
https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center...-envelope.html
Old 09-26-2021, 05:50 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
For the Insurance - wow, I guess I had some outdated beliefs. I've been going by the "insure everything over $100" rule for about two decades now. So you guys don't use Insurance at all through USPS? Or is there a dollar amount associated with the cards your sending where you do decide to insure the package or upgrade to Registered Mail?
All depends on what you're comfortable reimbursing the buyer if the package doesn't make it or gets damaged in the mail. Many use the USPS Small Flat Rate box for items at $100 or more, which comes with $50 in insurance for about the same you're paying for an insured bubble mailer.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:17 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
If you get some paperboard envelopes and are shipping low-ish dollar raw cards in top-loaders (can't be in graded slabs), then you can ship them for less than $1. And ya, definitely never pay for USPS insurance with collectibles. It's pointless. They'll just take your money and never pay out. Same with FedEx and UPS. They both cap out at $1000 coverage for collectibles but won't tell you that when you buy insurance. It's a scam. Just get private insurance.

Envelopes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-8-Paper...g/254808890842

eBay's instructions:
https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center...-envelope.html
Agreed about the insurance. I've bought it on expensive stuff, but never on cheap stuff unless the buyer really wanted it.

One caution about the cardstock mailers though. I used to use them with the click and ship through Ebay, which gave tracking for either free or very little.
Except one mailer came back postage due. Apparently tracking can't be done if the item isn't a package. And the regs are contradictory. A mail piece over 1/4 inch thich or not flexible will be charged as a package. But as far as deliver confirmation goes, it has to be over 3/4 inch. I took it back and added a packing peanut making it an inch thick pillow shaped package, rather than pay the priority rate they wanted. The PM was more annoyed that they had demanded the previous years rate ...