NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-23-2021, 12:58 PM
Drew W@i$e

Default Phone Call of a Lifetime

Earlier this week, I got a phone call from a gentleman saying he had a large collection of baseball vintage sets that he wanted to sell. He was very excited and had been saving these sets for a while. All were "vintage and in mint condition". I asked him to send me pictures of the cards. When I got the pictures, all of the cards were.....

1988 Topps Baseball

He must have had 25 1988 Topps sets in binder pages. He asked what I was willing to pay. I told him the binders and binder pages were probably worth more than the cards. He was not happy and insisted I was wrong. I then pointed out you can buy a NM 1988 Topps baseball set on ebay for $10. He hung up.

Last edited by parkplace33; 09-23-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:18 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Earlier this week, I got a phone call from a gentleman saying he had a large collection of baseball vintage sets that he wanted to sell. He was very excited and had been saving these sets for a while. All were "vintage and in mint condition". I asked him to send me pictures of the cards. When I got the pictures, all of the cards were.....

1988 Topps Baseball

He must have had 25 1988 Topps sets in binder pages. He asked what I was willing to pay. I told him the binders and binder pages were probably worth more than the cards. He was not happy and insisted I was wrong. I then pointed out you can buy a NM 1988 baseball on ebay for $10. He hung up.
Unfortunately he was upset because he was expecting his collection to be worth a lot and was hoping to strike pay dirt in this sellers market for collectors right now.

So he was shocked that his time and/or investments was not what he hoped.

Hopefully he did not buy them from someone without researching and over invested or over hoped

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-23-2021, 01:27 PM
Robert Williams

Story of our lives. When people find out I collect cards, they ask me to value their 1997 Donruss. I just laugh and tell them the truth.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:37 PM
George E.

My mom still insists my collection from childhood is going to pave the way of my future. Never mind that I am well into that future, and it is mostly gravel roads.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:52 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:

1988 Topps Baseball

He must have had 25 1988 Topps sets in binder pages. He asked what I was willing to pay. I told him the binders and binder pages were probably worth more than the cards. He was not happy and insisted I was wrong. I then pointed out you can buy a NM 1988 Topps baseball set on ebay for $10. He hung up.
I am willing to go in half with you.....$5.00(for all of his cache of sets). I need another opportunity to find the Bob Sebra Enfuego card.
One on the left!

Cheers!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sebra Enfuego.jpg (21.3 KB, 1093 views)

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 09-23-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:42 PM
Jeremy

I recently ran into a guy trying to sell his sealed cases of 1993 Upper Deck for about $6,000.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:57 PM
Bruce Mattioli

We all know the value of the junk wax period but I will always remember chasing around the wax and stocking up.. It was a fun time and vintage was still affordable no internet and wonderful card shows and stores..
Old 09-23-2021, 05:03 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

Last year my realtor told me she found some baseball cards abandoned in one of her houses and she asked me to look at them since she knew I collected and she hoped to find some value in them. She dropped them off at my house and when I arrived I looked through the 10 binders of cards and all were late 1980s to early 1990s cards (Fleer/Donruss/Score/Topps)

I had to tell her that they weren't going to be worth much when I returned them to her...she was seriously disappointed.

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)
Old 09-23-2021, 05:18 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I probably get at least two calls or more with the same type of story. It's amazing how many try to convince me they are worth a whole lot of money. Mostly tell people to donate them to a church.

Lee
Old 09-23-2021, 05:32 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Yes, many late '80 to early '90s junk card stories.

My story is an old lady who had an old baseball card that she wouldn't sell for less than $20. It was an SF Hess and I paid her $800. She asked where she could find another. I said she couldn't, which is why I paid her $800.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:39 PM
Fred

Quote:

1988 Topps Baseball

So... did the potential seller ever mention a selling price for those high grade 1988 Topps in binders?
Old 09-23-2021, 05:46 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post

My story is an old lady who had an old baseball card that she wouldn't sell for less than $20. It was an SF Hess and I paid her $800. She asked where she could find another. I said she couldn't, which is why I paid her $800.
You mean you acted professionally with basic human decency and as an adult?!
Old 09-24-2021, 07:42 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Story of our lives. When people find out I collect cards, they ask me to value their 1997 Donruss. I just laugh and tell them the truth.
I have two neighbors who asked me the values of their junk wax era childhood cards....I didn't laugh at them, patiently looked through their "junk" and then told them the truth, that was a year ago, neither have spoken to me since????

My son's baseball coach had me swing by his house to look at his childhood collection of cards. When I told him "the truth" about the majority of his junk wax collection, I could tell he was not happy. On the bright side, I told him some of the cards in his collection did seem to have some value after looking up their sold prices via ebay....they were his 5 different cards from his 6 years in the minors. He had saved 50-60 copies of each of his cards....single cards from those team sets sell periodically around $3 each. He now understands how an over supply can suppress value in the card market.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:27 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I just received a phone call, do you buy NASCAR Cards... Dear Lord Nooooo
Old 09-24-2021, 11:24 AM
J0hn Collin$

I've been on hand when stories like this walk into my LCS from time to time, and it's generally somewhat amusing. The last was not modern cards actually, but a lady who had a lower grade '65 Mantle. It might have still been worth $200 or something, but of course she was convinced it was worth at least ten times that. She stormed off in a cloud of anger after the owner offered her I think $150.

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-24-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:33 AM
Matthew

That was hilarious!
Old 09-24-2021, 12:28 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I've been on hand when stories like this walk into my LCS from time to time, and it's generally somewhat amusing. The last was not modern cards actually, but a lady who had a lower grade '65 Mantle. It might have still been worth $200 or something, but of course she was convinced it was worth at least ten times that. She stormed off in a cloud of anger after the owner offered her I think $150.
Love it

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-24-2021, 12:49 PM
Steve Birmingham

In High School I hung out at a local card shop often enough that I was usually there a couple days a week.

One time a guy - who turned out to be another dealer- dragged in a big box of 78 RC cola cans to ask if they wanted them. They pointed at me and said "we don't but that guy does" Six bucks for maybe half the set

Then I had to call mom for a ride home ....Lucky she was tolerant of my collecting.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:11 PM
Drew W@i$e

We didn't get to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
So... did the potential seller ever mention a selling price for those high grade 1988 Topps in binders?
Old 09-24-2021, 01:50 PM
Albert Bee

Default 88t

funny, these story's of late 80s early 90s cards.... just never end
Old 09-24-2021, 02:21 PM
Eric Perry

I have more sympathy for the people who held a collection 30 years than I do for the quick-flippers.

(...but I paid $500 THREE MONTHS AGO. Why can't I sell it for ten grand yet?!?!?!?)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 09-24-2021, 04:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

When moving a bunch of years ago, we had garbage cans and a dumpster out front on the street being crammed with a crapload of stuff, including an untold number of boxes filled with 80's/90's junk era cards (this was before there were separate recycling carts). Just decided to get rid of them once and for all.

Early on, scavengers started appearing, 'casually' looking through the receptacles as my brothers and I took a break for lunch. When one of them stumbled across the first shoebox of cards, I told my girlfriend, "Watch this. Now they got the cardboard fever and are full of hope that Mantles are awaiting them. Too late to stop now!! Ha ha!!!" And sure enough the guy immediately began furiously digging through that box, and his eyes kept darting side to side, looking around, waiting for someone to tell him the cards were off-limits. He couldn't believe his 'luck,' and carefully placed the combed-through box on the ground at his feet, as if staking a claim and telling the others, "This garbage can here is mine!!" Then the digging started everywhere, and it looked like ants suddenly coming across the delicious carcass of a dead yellow jacket. We enjoyed watching the rummaging intensify, because these people were dressed nicely and had much nicer cars than mine, so they obviously weren't down on their luck, hoping to find a working lamp to save a few bucks. Nope, they were vultures. Box after box they pulled out and dug through, greedily keeping the cardboard alms away from the other buzzards. "Mine!! Mine!! Mine!!" There's nothing better than seeing nothing but a guy's Dockers and the bottom of his Polo shirt as he buries himself deeply into a disgusting garbage can, trying desperately to reach the stuff at the bottom.

In the end, they kept a decent amount of the useless junk cards (I probably took out all of the stars), which was bizarre in its own right. Perhaps they wanted to give the boxes a better look through while enjoying a Manhattan out by their pool? Who knows.

Hope is a dangerous thing, and to this day we refer to that afternoon as an episode of 'CSI: Disappointment.'

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 09-25-2021 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:58 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post

This reminds me of my own “old lady” story. Years ago, I had a small antique shop. An old lady brought in a 1910 vintage typewriter and said she couldn’t sell it at her yard sale for $10. I also collected typewriters at the time. Instead of paying her $10, I explained to her why it was unusual and rare. I offered her $200. She decided to keep it.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:06 AM
Tim Odeen

I think I was on Facebook a week or two ago - Griffey Collectors group. Someone posted a picture of a shiny foil non graded early-mid 90s Pacific card #/10k. He asked for appraised value.

I thought, this has to be a joke. Then I thought of all the recent newbies joining because of the hot market, and I decided to tell him the truth. It's worth $1 and 10k is a very high number for a limited edition. Pacific isn't that sought after compared to Topps or Bowman.

Someone else jumped on an said "some" Pacific cards are highly sought after because of low PSA pop reports. I didn't respond again because isn't that the truth. But how do you explain that to a new collector?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-25-2021, 10:12 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post

This reminds me of my own “old lady” story. Years ago, I had a small antique shop. An old lady brought in a 1910 vintage typewriter and said she couldn’t sell it at her yard sale for $10. I also collected typewriters at the time. Instead of paying her $10, I explained to her why it was unusual and rare. I offered her $200. She decided to keep it.
I've had more than my share of these types of stories. I don't usually do it unless I am at a show or shop and the item is already priced and the dealer should know better, but usually it is just best to pay them their $20-30 and take it off their hands, they leave happy and so are you. The likely end to this story is that she will have that typewriter until the day she passes and the person inheriting their estate will end up getting $5-10 for it.

I have had a lot of people reach out to me to sell and use my expertise [that I offered for free] against me and have it blow up a deal. Greed does funny things to people.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 09-25-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:06 PM
Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
When moving a bunch of years ago, we had garbage cans and a dumpster out front on the street being crammed with a crapload of stuff, including an untold number of boxes filled with 80's/90's junk era cards (this was before there were separate recycling carts). Just decided to get rid of them once and for all.

Early on, scavengers started appearing, 'casually' looking through the receptacles as my brothers and I took a break for lunch. When one of them stumbled across the first shoebox of cards, I told my girlfriend, "Watch this. Now they got the cardboard fever and are full of hope that Mantles are awaiting them. Too late to stop now!! Ha ha!!!" And sure enough the guy immediately began furiously digging through that box, and his eyes kept darting side to side, looking around, waiting for someone to tell him the cards were off-limits. He couldn't believe his 'luck,' and carefully placed the combed-through box on the ground at his feet, as if staking a claim and telling the others, "This garbage can here is mine!!" Then the digging started everywhere, and it looked like ants suddenly coming across the delicious carcass of a dead yellow jacket. We enjoyed watching the rummaging intensify, because these people were dressed nicely and had much nicer cars than mine, so they obviously weren't down on their luck, hoping to find a working lamp to save a few bucks. Nope, they were vultures. Box after box they pulled out and dug through, greedily keeping the cardboard alms away from the other buzzards. "Mine!! Mine!! Mine!!" There's nothing better than seeing nothing but a guy's Dockers and the bottom of his Polo shirt as he buries himself deeply into a disgusting garbage can, trying desperately to reach the stuff at the bottom.

In the end, they kept a decent amount of the useless junk cards (I probably took out all of the stars), which was bizarre in its own right. Perhaps they wanted to give the boxes a better look through while enjoying a Manhattan out by their pool? Who knows.

Hope is a dangerous thing, and to this day we refer to that afternoon as an episode of 'CSI: Disappointment.'
I would be one of the guys digging. Not for greed, but for fun. I bought an '80s binder for $5 at a garage sale recently. Took it home, flipped through it for a few memories. And who knows, there may be a pony in that pile of poop. :-)
Old 09-25-2021, 02:24 PM
Drew W@i$e

This story made my weekend 😀

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post

Old 09-26-2021, 05:49 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
This story made my weekend 😀
Great Story and wish we had video to even more enjoy it.

Just need to hope. One of them is now not on this forum and making a post showing what you missed and never took out and they got something Fantastic

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-26-2021, 10:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

About ten years ago I guy I knew kept telling me how he had a file cabinet full of 1950s-1960s cards. I offered to buy them and told him to call me. Years later I get the call that he's moved to Kentucky and has to get rid of all the stuff in storage, including that cabinet, and do I want to come over and buy the cards. Um, no.

I grab a big wad of cash and head over there. He did indeed have a file cabinet full of cards. 80% of them were early 1990s football (mostly Pro Set). The rest were 1970s baseball with every star already picked out, and a tiny stack of beater commons from the late 1950s-early 1960s. And one box of 1970s football. Fortunately, whoever picked over the baseball didn't know football so there were some decent names in there albeit in collector grade. I ended up giving him $100 for the stuff I could use and taking the rest as a favor to get rid of them for him. I tried but could not even give away the junk wax. Apparently, no one needs 5000 count boxes of Pro Set and Pacific commons. Go figure.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-26-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:48 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Great Story and wish we had video to even more enjoy it.

Just need to hope. One of them is now not on this forum and making a post showing what you missed and never took out and they got something Fantastic

This was in Huntington!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think we have all had a similar type story. People read the news about Black Swamp and Wagners...so their cards must be worth millions too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
About ten years ago I guy I knew kept telling me how he had a file cabinet full of 1950s-1960s cards. I offered to buy them and told him to call me. Years later I get the call that he's moved to Kentucky and has to get rid of all the stuff in storage, including that cabinet, and do I want to come over and buy the cards. Um, no.

I grab a big wad of cash and head over there. He did indeed have a file cabinet full of cards. 80% of them were early 1990s football (mostly Pro Set). The rest were 1970s baseball with every star already picked out, and a tiny stack of beater commons from the late 1950s-early 1960s. And one box of 1970s football. Fortunately, whoever picked over the baseball didn't know football so there were some decent names in there albeit in collector grade. I ended up giving him $100 for the stuff I could use and taking the rest as a favor to get rid of them for him. I tried but could not even give away the junk wax. Apparently, no one needs 5000 count boxes of Pro Set and Pacific commons. Go figure.