NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-09-2021, 06:22 PM
Curt

Default Sharpie on newspaper

Does anyone have any first hand experience with older sharpie signatures (or writing in general) and how it may age/react? I got a fairly scarce newspaper issue signed in sharpie a few years back by Dave Stewart and it looks great, but concerned maybe it will bleed over time.

I have a similar issue that I would like to have signed by Steve Garvey. The item is too scarce to ruin (Should have thought of that with Stewart too), if a sharpie sig will not hold up on newspaper. Maybe it outlasts me, but I'd still hate to think it might be a worthless piece of junk in the future, even if I am not around to enjoy or own it any longer.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:13 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I have a photo of John Jefferson of the SD Chargers, that I cut from a newspaper, and later had it signed. I don't remember when it was signed, but do know it was at least 23 years ago.

The blue sharpie signature still looks as good as the day it was signed, with absolutely no bleeding whatsoever. It did soak through to the back, so it's nearly as bold on the back, as it is on the front, but it is still sharp and clear.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 09-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Tom

I’d rather have it signed in ball point pen for a vintage look
Old 09-10-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
I’d rather have it signed in ball point pen for a vintage look
I agree. Modern Sharpie is too glaring and out of place on vintage newsprint. You do run the risk of tearing fragile newsprint with the relative sharpness of a ballpoint, however.

If you're having a 1970's-80's newspaper signed and the newsprint does seem a bit fragile, I'd suggest doing a bit of experimentation with a soft-tipped flair pen--the type with a thicker felt tip rather than the thinner, sharp point. These markers were period to the era and might look good and will be bold. I'd go with a purple flair if you can find one, as that color was quite popular back then and would be a great throwback. It's also nice and bold without being too "in your face" like when fresh blue or black Sharpie is applied to older newsprint. Apply a small amount that nobody else will notice o a discreet area of the same newspaper and see how it adheres. If it bleeds, hold off. All of this cheap, pulpy type of paper will react differently depending on many factors, including the condition the paper has been subjected to over the decades. You could easily get different reactions to ink application on two copies of the same paper if one was stored in a balmy climate versus Alaska, for instance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 3661.jpg (2.6 KB, 90 views)
Old 09-10-2021, 11:39 AM
Sean Brennan

Ive wondered about the long term effects of sharpie on newspaper as well. i dont have any insight on this but I do have this incredible newspaper photo of the 06 cubs (probably from the late 30's) though not signed in sharpie, the autographs have held up really well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1906 cubs.jpg (72.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 09-10-2021, 06:04 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Here is a signed Sporting News cover that was signed in blue sharpie back in 1985, that has held up fine over the years:

Old 09-10-2021, 07:19 PM
Curt

I was more concerned about bleeding. I don't mind ball point ink, but with newsprint, the ink gets lost, especially if the image is darker. This is what I would be wanting signed. The first one is graded and I'd need to bust it out.

These are some of the hardest to find Garvey items out there. Getting them signed would be icing on the cake. The last one is closer to magazine, but still like newspaper.

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 4.00.26 PM.jpg

GarveyCollection0007.jpg

GarveyCollection0008.jpg

82MontrealNewsGarvey.jpg
Old 09-10-2021, 07:21 PM
Curt

Here is the Stewart. Probably would have looked better with Dodger blue sharpie though...it was only signed less than 5 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8070001.jpg (42.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-10-2021, 07:26 PM
Curt

The risk I am thinking now, after looking at Stewart is the thickness. Maybe a brand new sharpie, but it would be a mail in deal. I'd have no control, other than sending pens and asking that they be used.

Garvey was added to Past Pros and his prices are pretty reasonable, so I believe it goes direct to him.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:01 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I have a few things signed on newsprint over the years in sharpie that have held up well. The marker initially bled through to the other side of the paper, but other than that no complaints.