NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Good ole Gus....1931 Metropolitan Studios

I was just going through some stuff and came upon this card. It's a 1931 Metropolitan Studios card. This series is usually very cheap ($20-$30 a card) and has some great poses. How can you not love this pose? (note his left sleeve, can you imagine that in today's billion dollar industry?) Show some neat, albeit common cards, if you would like to.....
regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phunc1931metropolitanstudiomancuso.jpg (77.8 KB, 574 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Al

I love these cards, they're gorgeous. I have a Frankie Frisch somewhere, and I can definitely tell you it wasn't cheap.

Photos of prewar players in uniform, with all their rips and stains, are some of my favorite things about the hobby. You're dead on, Leon - seeing a big old hole in the sleeve like that is awesome.

-Al
Old 09-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Jeff

Default Good Ole Burleigh...................

Love the set too, almost done with it. Need a Mancuso come to think of it.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-16-2021, 01:03 PM
Ben Moss

Default 1931 Metropolitans

I am trying to finish my set signed. Please let me know if anybody has any for sale?
Old 09-16-2021, 01:45 PM

Default Spotless

.. I like the spotless clean uniform .

Old 09-16-2021, 01:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy56 View Post
I am trying to finish my set signed. Please let me know if anybody has any for sale?
FYI, generally these requests should go in the BST areas. Thanks

Old 09-16-2021, 02:01 PM

Default Beckett-Fooler

... and just for fun , send in for grading a '31 Met which has been altered by some kid with a few crayons ; the kid was really good because you'd never know the colors were added......look at the shoes , even...... I think some collectors consider this to be his rookie card ?

Old 09-16-2021, 02:50 PM
David McDonald

Love the Metropolitan Studio set. Many great portraits. This is my only signed one.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:07 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Nice card Dave. I had a question about a NY Giants item if you could drop me a line.
Jonathan
Old 09-17-2021, 06:56 PM
�tis J�hns�n

I bought a set from Lew Lipset mainly for the cool poses and this picture of Branch Rickey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rickey.jpg (43.3 KB, 312 views)

Last edited by riggs336; 09-17-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:10 PM
Frank Wakefield

Does anyone have the envelope that these cards came in with a 1931 postmark on it???? I have a worn envelope somewhere, I recall no postmark. For several years I've thought maybe these should be considered with a 1932 issue date; I think the set may have been produced after the Cards won the 1931 World Series, and if that wasn't in late 1931 then it would have been early 1932, and fans could have bought the envelope full of the pictures at the ball park, or at a newsstand. I think Metropolitan Studios issued similar sized pictures of movie stars, and I'm guessing they'd be sold at newsstands. An envelope with a 1931 postmark would lock these in as a 1931 issue.

These are 1931 players / World Champions, no argument there.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:21 PM

I have the set and an original envelope. The Cardinals address is printed in the upper left of the envelope but there is no sign of a postmark. A handwritten note was included with a set that was auctioned earlier this year. The note reads . . .

"Early 30's, Tuberculosis Day, rained out 1st day, Cards won 2-1, Flint Rhem pitch, Boston Braves op., Uncle Henry took me to game, bought pictures 50 cents, receipts went to cure tuberc"

Tuberculosis Day was an annual event. I can't find a Rhem game against Boston that was 2-1 so not sure what year is referenced but it explains why many of the mailing envelopes that turn up have no postmark.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 View Post
I have the set and an original envelope. The Cardinals address is printed in the upper left of the envelope but there is no sign of a postmark. A handwritten note was included with a set that was auctioned earlier this year. The note reads . . .

"Early 30's, Tuberculosis Day, rained out 1st day, Cards won 2-1, Flint Rhem pitch, Boston Braves op., Uncle Henry took me to game, bought pictures 50 cents, receipts went to cure tuberc"

Tuberculosis Day was an annual event. I can't find a Rhem game against Boston that was 2-1 so not sure what year is referenced but it explains why many of the mailing envelopes that turn up have no postmark.
No postmark? Interesting. Maybe they hand delivered them or never sent them out LOL.....
Old 09-23-2021, 09:02 AM
Frank Wakefield

Maybe they were for sale in the Metro Studio business and at the ball park.

I think some were mailed, I've heard tell of that. I may dig through stuff to see if I can find the envelope.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:11 PM
Ben Moss

Default Cards

I am really looking for the Chick Hafey one the most. The others posted, WHICH I GREATLY APPRECIATE, I have but these are SUPER hard to find.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:31 PM

There's a Hafey on Ebay right now - $20 ends Wednesday
Old 12-07-2021, 06:25 PM
Frank Wakefield

Well it took me about 3 months, but I found my envelope.

And no postmark on it, Quarter Man, just like I recalled.

I think I have 20 different of these. Some have Metropolitan Studios with a copyright c. Some just have Metropolitan Studios. Some have neither. That Dean put up by MarkGarcia 12 weeks ago, that's the 33 Goudey pose, it looks like they used the photo in the Goudey premium and zoomed in a bit; note the man standing in the stands (ever wonder why ball fans sit in the stands?). That placement is identical in the Metro Studios and the Goudey premium.

About half of mine have Metropolitan Studios on them...

The back of the envelope is blank. The front is in the photo. No postmarks. The printing along the bottom edge contemplates getting the set by mail. The top left corner print is positioned for a return address. And I think I've seen a postmarked envelope...

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1638925335

Breadon, the club owner, has a professional portrait that is NOT Metropolitan Studios.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1638925484

Jim Lindsey seems to me to be a photo different from the Metro poses, I get the feeling that they were scrambling around to find photos of these guys, and this set wasn't together by 1931 World Series time. If it were, why wouldn't they have October 1931 photos of everyone??? Lindsey pitched a fair amount in 1931, and got into 2 games in the 1931 World Series. So it's not like he was home recovering from an injury at the end of the season, he was present and playing.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1638925749

Gabby Street managed St. Louis one game in 1929, and then all of 1930, 1931, 1932, and 1933. His last ML at bat was 10 days shy of his 49th birthday, for the Cardinals in 1931. His Metro Studio is unusual.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1638925960

And Jesse Haines, his card shows the Metropolitan Studios that is familiar, that's the pose used on most of his gum cards and Exhibits...

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1638926015

So, these guys definitely look like some photos were taken at the ball park before a game. At least a couple were studio posed (Breadon and Rickey), and then Metro Studios lacked photos of other players and had to scamper around and find photos.

If anyone has postmarked envelopes for the Metropolitan Studios, please post images. I really think that after winning the World Series in 1931, everyone scattered with their money from the World Series shares, and the photos used were gathered in winter of 1931 and spring of 1932. Maybe envelopes of photos were distributed to season ticket holders, and were for sale at souvenir stand, news stand, or the downtown Metropolitan Studios.

And I don't know how to turn those images around, I had already turned one and the others looked straight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metro Studio envelope.jpg (17.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Sam Breadon.jpg (19.5 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Lindsey.jpg (19.6 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg G Street.jpg (19.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Haines.jpg (20.1 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 12-07-2021 at 06:27 PM. Reason: To confess my photo orientation transgression.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:36 AM

Hanging on to Sam's "RC" in case he gets the nod one day (as he very well should).
Old 12-08-2021, 05:49 PM
Frank Wakefield

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1639010918
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metro Envelope redo.jpg (17.9 KB, 51 views)